Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2018 to the dealer for a concern and to add the keyless entry. They couldn't get the keyless entry to work and would have to contact Ford for further help. They did order the correct keyless entry pad ahead of time (well, I hope they did).

Is their something special about the 2018 that's different?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Its on page 56 of the 2018 manual how to do it- switch the key on and off 8 times within 6 seconds.
So if earlier Transits were 4 times then I guess something has changed.

From the 2018 OM>
Make sure all new and existing remote
controls are present before beginning this
procedure. This procedure erases all
existing programmed remote controls.
Reprogram all the existing remote controls
during this procedure.
1. Unlock the vehicle with the power door
unlock control.
2. Switch the ignition from off to on eight
times within six seconds, finishing in
the off position. A tone sounds to
indicate that it is now possible to
program a remote control.
3. Press and hold any button on the
remote control within 10 seconds. A
tone sounds as confirmation.
4. Repeat step 3 within 10 seconds for
each remote control.
Note: Programming ends when you switch
the ignition on, or after 10 seconds.
If you have successfully programmed the
remote control, it operates the remote
entry system.
If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10
seconds and repeat the process.
Note:You can program a maximum of eight
remote controls to your vehicle.

·
Registered
425 Posts
LOL, my dealership told me they had to hook laptop to the van to program it....

I knew he was lying about it!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its on page 56 of the 2018 manual how to do it- switch the key on and off 8 times within 6 seconds.
So if earlier Transits were 4 times then I guess something has changed.

From the 2018 OM>
Make sure all new and existing remote
controls are present before beginning this
procedure. This procedure erases all
existing programmed remote controls.
Reprogram all the existing remote controls
during this procedure.
1. Unlock the vehicle with the power door
unlock control.
2. Switch the ignition from off to on eight
times within six seconds, finishing in
the off position. A tone sounds to
indicate that it is now possible to
program a remote control.
3. Press and hold any button on the
remote control within 10 seconds. A
tone sounds as confirmation.
4. Repeat step 3 within 10 seconds for
each remote control.
Note: Programming ends when you switch
the ignition on, or after 10 seconds.
If you have successfully programmed the
remote control, it operates the remote
entry system.
If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10
seconds and repeat the process.
Note:You can program a maximum of eight
remote controls to your vehicle.
I did read that, fairly straight forward. It's a large, busy dealership so I figured this was not an uncommon procedure. I'll wait and see if I hear back from them, if not I'll do it myself (which I probably should have anyway).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recently added the keyless entry pad on my 2017 HR 148" Cargo. I was also stymied by the directions to cycle the key 8 times and end in the "on" position. That was TOTALLY wrong.
Using 4 cycles, leaving the key in the "off" position worked perfectly. Now all I need is a warm day to actually stick it on the side of the van.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently added the keyless entry pad on my 2017 HR 148" Cargo. I was also stymied by the directions to cycle the key 8 times and end in the "on" position. That was TOTALLY wrong.
Using 4 cycles, leaving the key in the "off" position worked perfectly. Now all I need is a warm day to actually stick it on the side of the van.
I was possibly going to mount it on the side window low near the mirror. I assume these don't last forever, so easy removal from the glass vs the door. It's more for emergency purposes for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
When I bought my 2015, my dealer insisted over and over that only one keypad would work and treated me like I was stupid for thinking otherwise, yet I have THREE working perfectly fine. I'd be more inclined to believe your dealer is inept than the 2018 is different then all the rest.

IMO there are far too many dealer personnel who haven't a clue and are so full of arrogance it is alarming.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was possibly going to mount it on the side window low near the mirror. I assume these don't last forever, so easy removal from the glass vs the door. It's more for emergency purposes for me.
From what I've read, it looks like the battery is good for 7 years. I like the glass location, too, but a wire slipped behind the keypad will cut the adhesive foam, so I'll likely mount it in the same location as my 2005 Excursion just to keep things uniform. FYI - The Excursion's V-10 is a lovely lump of steel! :D

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I always tell Transit buyers if you are going to install more than one of the keyless remotes on your Transit to just order the part(s) and program/install them yourself. Even if you just want the one remote and don't want it in the location that the assembly line places it near the door, just order it as part of your vehicle purchase and install it later.

Front door and rear door areas are the most common places to add them. I know of a few forum members who have at least 3 on their Transits and use them regularity in place of the Transit key.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You need to program all your keys (4 keys, in my case) plus the touch pad to have them all work. A key remote that is not programmed will no longer be recognized and the remote will no longer work, until you reprogram it with the rest.
Once you do the programming one time, you'll realize how easy it is... provided you get the right set of directions! 4 on/off cycles, then press each remote, one at a time, then the touch pad. Then on/off to stop the programming. Up to 8 devices can be recognized.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Once you do the programming one time, you'll realize how easy it is... provided you get the right set of directions! 4 on/off cycles, then press each remote, one at a time, then the touch pad. Then on/off to stop the programming. Up to 8 devices can be recognized.
Have you actually done it that way on a 2018?
According to the manual the 2018 takes 8 cycles of they key.
I haven't tried it but will soon- I retained the keys/remotes from my totalled 2015.
Once the insurance mess is done I will attempt to add those 2 remotes to the 2 I already have.
Then I'll saw the key blades off since they won't work in the new van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you actually done it that way on a 2018?

According to the manual the 2018 takes 8 cycles of they key.

I haven't tried it but will soon- I retained the keys/remotes from my totalled 2015.

Once the insurance mess is done I will attempt to add those 2 remotes to the 2 I already have.

Then I'll saw the key blades off since they won't work in the new van.

I did my 2018 a couple of days ago. All the instructions were the same except it’s 8 cycles like you said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 80 Posts