Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLAN A: Starting with bare metal, then some dynamat for sound deadening, then some foam strips to fill corrugations, then another 1" XPS, then 1/2" birch plywood that I'll finish and seal.

PLAN B: Keep the vinyl liner there and skip everything until XPS and plywood.

Now that my van came with the vinyl liner that has a felt back for the corrugations, debating whether to just forgo everything up until the XPS and plywood. As is with the vinyl, I'm happy with the sound deadening and wondering if it could save me a few steps, or if I should just go with Plan A.

Of course trying to preserve height (and ceiling will be insulated with thinsulate with the bare cross beams covered in EZCool).

TIA!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I’m no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last month. You probably don’t need dynamat if you do either of your two options.

·
Registered
358 Posts
PLAN C: Keep the "factory" floor mat and skip everything else.

It has worked well for us for the past three years. Everyone is different but for some of us with minimalist style camper vans less is better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I thought about the same but was worried about the factory mat holding moisture if it ever got wet so I pulled it and started from bare metal.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
You don't need sound deadening on the floor. Minicell, Thinsulate TAI1547 and the weight of the plywood is plenty to reduce noise. Then an area rug or mat on top. Most of our customers do not use a separate noise treatment at all and we never have anyone complain that their van is too loud. No need to get carried away with insulating as many do simply because they see someone else who has.

All the best,
Hein at DIYvan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Decided to use: factory vinyl liner with felt corrugations beneath + 1/2" xps or polyiso + 1/2" baltic birch plywood + vinyl sheet

I'm in SoCal and having an incredibly tough time finding ANY 1/2" xps or polyiso, just EPS which I'd prefer not to use since it doesnt have as high R value. They do have 1" but I'd rather not use so thick.

Any ideas on where to find 1/2" xps or polyiso, either online or in the area?

If I'm unable to find foam boards, should I just settle on the factory vinyl mat + 1/2" BB and call it a day?

·
Registered
2020 148 HR AWD on order
36 Posts
@jeneralwu88 when you write "factory vinyl mat + 1/2" BB" would that be stable enough (independent of insulation)? Would you just let gravity hold it down or use the D ring mounts or ?? to secure it? Assuming the plywood is not a single sheet but pieced together with biscuits or even thin sheet metal plates. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lowes and home despot both have it in TX. You may be able to get them to deliver it to a nearby store for pickup. Hein's minicell might be the best but most expensive option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts