Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is the original post:
One of the first things we did to the van was add the K&N drop in air filter #33-3138 which isn't listed under K&N's search criteria, But we did find the filter on Amazon's site. So to anyone who owns/drives a 2020/2021 Ford Transit Connect, it would benefit you to replace the factory/motorcraft air filter with the drop in / lifetime K&N air filter. Just to confirm and even though K&N's site doesn't list any air filter for the van, the #33-3138 does fit our van.

View attachment 151053

If one decides to go with the K&N, Keep your old Motorcraft air filter for when you have to recharge the K&N after 2 years of use. upgrading to the K&N we've noticed a boost in power and even the tone of the exhaust. We're still waiting for a weeks/months worth of driving to see if there's a fuel savings to boot.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
684 Posts
I'm happy for you that you like your KN filter. I would never believe in any KN products. Allow more particles to get thru is not exactly what I want for my engine. Every manufacture wants to improve their MPG in their vehicles. Why would they want NOT to use the KN filter? I stick with my OEM filters. YMMV.

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I was an engineer at Caterpillar I did extensive oil and air filter development and testing. With the K&N air filter our oil tests always showed higher silicon. This is indicative of the air filter allowing environmental contaminants to enter the engine. From a reliability perspective we dropped any idea of k&n.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No doubt K&N has been around a long time offering AF's for lots of IC motors. Love 'em or hate 'em, it's your choice. YMMV

The author of this article tries to shed light on the marketing claims of some aftermarket manufacturers and give insight on products already on the market that are superior to OE filters K&N vs OEM

cheers, M

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
No doubt K&N has been around a long time offering AF's for lots of IC motors. Love 'em or hate 'em, it's your choice. YMMV

The author of this article tries to shed light on the marketing claims of some aftermarket manufacturers and give insight on products already on the market that are superior to OE filters K&N vs OEM

cheers, M
Thanks for the link. It is my understanding that differences (I suppose within a reasonable range) in airflow restriction from a dirty filter on modern engines with MAF sensors will have little impact on fuel economy, but will reduce power. The ECM will just cut back fuel to account for lack of airflow when that is a factor. My anecdotal experience is that I do not see any increase in fuel economy when I replace an old filter with a new one. I'd be interested if anyone has any studies that support or refute this idea.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
134 Posts
To each his own, I'm not sure I'd get so offended if someone doesn't like your point of view. I've used them before, but don't anymore. I read enough from people smarter than I who have tested what ends up in the engine to steer me away. But, more power to you if you like them. Feel free to ignore me if it helps.

·
Registered
684 Posts
K&N has been apart of every vehicle we've own since K&N conception. Furthermore, after informing K&N tech team about our discovery, they didn't believe it and needed to see proof that we're getting better gas mileage with their filter then if we use the factory brand. There are those products which one believes in and trust and we've never had issue with any of their products. to each their own and either you believe or trust the product or your don't I think it makes a good investment with a lifetime filter. Cost cutting, fuel/money savings and no more waste in the landfills.
My post is not to tell you KN filter sucks or tell you NOT to buy KN filter. My post just wanted to tell others to be careful what the manufacturer's claim and their fancy/convincing advertisement. Marketing knows exactly what the consumers wishing for. They design their ad campaign accordingly. Just look at the beauty products, weight loss products, and all other snake oils.

I am not sure about you. Buying oil filters and air filters hardly make 0.001% dents in my pocket. Likewise, I doubt air filters will have an impact on landfills. I do understand that that is what KN claims. At least KN wants their consumers to feel good about buying their products, and they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

I am an R&D researcher for more than 30 years and have taught in grad school and med school. I believe in science and properly designed and conducted experiments. In other words, I don't believe COVID-19 will go away in the Summer. :)

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
134 Posts
Appears so. Well that was fun...

Any other trigger products we can start in on? As Teddy "KGB" said in Rounders, "I feel so dissatisfied."

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
When Optima first came out, it was embraced by the Jeep community. I bought a deep cycle one for winching purposes. It sucks.
Oh yeah, They were popular 20 or 30 years ago, Everybody wanted one for many different applications.
They sell them in a work van catalog so they must still be popular among some people.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Oh yeah, They were popular 20 or 30 years ago, Everybody wanted one for many different applications.
They sell them in a work van catalog so they must still be popular among some people.
In those days, I don't think AGM was available. Some for us, Optima was a good choice because when the Jeep rollovers, we won't have HCL acid pouring over our body. :)

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,249 Posts
He has a habit of posting up, building up a thread, then deleting his content. Really can't figure out the reasoning there...

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,249 Posts
This is a public Internet forum where people share ideas, opinions, experiences, etc. You posted about a K&N Air Filter. People replied with their personal experiences with that product. If you don't want people to reply honestly to posts you are making, you might want to reconsider being on a public forum. You can't post expecting everyone to be in agreement with everything you say. No one was running you off, and yes, you will get more replies from Transit owners than Transit Connect owners given that there are significantly more Transits out there than there are Transit Connects, but their knowledge and experiences with a product like the K&N air filter aren't invalidated by the fact they don't drive the same vehicle as you. It's an air filter. All ICE vehicles have one.

Ironically, you complain that Transit Connect content is small compared to full size Transit content, then you delete all of your Transit Connect content in this thread and others. It's unfortunate that you aren't interested in adding to the Transit Connect content. This forum, and it's Transit Connect members, would love to see more content centered around what they drive.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
There is more then one Transit Connect forum.
I bookmarked this page because some day I may downsize to a Transit Connect.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Michael Ophus
thanks for the positive feedback. But I was banned by the\at forum back in 2016. i've since located a more positive forum format which all members are liking what we're doing with the van. This other forum is wide open to all aspects of any car/truck or van. It's a shame that I did not see any positive feedback from a "Transit" forum so I had to relocate. If you decide to down grad the transit connect is a very sporty alternative with one issue. The seats. I've since developed sciatica never pain in my back and left leg> I have to run to get an MRI this afternoon. So we'll be looking at making some major seat changes in the near future.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There is more then one Transit Connect forum.
I bookmarked this page because some day I may downsize to a Transit Connect.

I just checked this forum out. While I understand the pragmatism, I cringe at any mention of that corrupt law known as the DMCA. The forum owner sure seemed to own it.

Reactions: Michael Ophus
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.