Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We just ordered some BF Goodrich KO2 LT255/70R16 E tires for our 2017 Transit Wagon. The sizing choice was based on the recommendation of the FarOutRide blog.

I have owned/operated KO2 tires on other vehicles and thought they were good tires, so we are looking forward to replacing the OEM Continentals.

While we wait for the tire store to receive them I am curious to learn if there is a consensus that they will fit factory wheels and wheel wells without any bodywork modifications, as the blog suggests.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
I think the FarOutRide blog may have added the 2" lift to their van so check that part out. I think with the stock height you may have some rub if you are trying to do a full turn on the steering wheel. Someone here on the forum may already have made the change to this size tire and can give you tips on how it performs and if it has any problems in turning diameter.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is the sort of info I am hoping to learn.

If I read it correctly the blog described the tires fitting with no rubbing without any lift or body trim, but I was concerned I have may have missed some details.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Thanks, that is the sort of info I am hoping to learn.

If I read it correctly the blog described the tires fitting with no rubbing without any lift or body trim, but I was concerned I have may have missed some details.

Thank you.
Not sure if you saw this but they may have added this to their van to get the clearance for the tires.

www.faroutride.com/air-lift-springs-installation/

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have 245/75-16 KO2s on my 2017 and they have always rubbed a little on the front. I have the factory fender liners and that’s where most of the rubbing first occurred, but that was mostly resolved with a little trimming.

After I installed the VanCompass front and rear lift, any rubbing is gone except if turning fully to the stop when there can be some rubbing against the subframe is the van is on a canter (think turning while driving over a lowered curb).

I don’t know about the 255s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2021 HR EL AWD
36 Posts
Hi,
We just ordered some BF Goodrich KO2 LT255/70R16 E tires for our 2017 Transit Wagon. The sizing choice was based on the recommendation of the FarOutRide blog.

I have owned/operated KO2 tires on other vehicles and thought they were good tires, so we are looking forward to replacing the OEM Continentals.

While we wait for the tire store to receive them I am curious to learn if there is a consensus that they will fit factory wheels and wheel wells without any bodywork modifications, as the blog suggests.

Thank you.
If you check out the tire section of the forum you will see this size works great. I had this on my last van and nothing rubbed. On the van I have now I went with 245/75/16 and also no rub. You will be fine with zero issues.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
898 Posts
I have 245/75/16's and when Quadvan put them on the said that the pinch weld had to modified or they wouldn't put them on. Yours are a little smaller, 30.06" as as opposed to 30.47. That half inch may make the difference.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The half inch was what helped me decide to try the FarOutRide recommendation.

The local tire store told me they have done more than a few 245/75 R16 installs on the local tourist business tour/shuttle fleet vans and they have trimmed or bent some of the pinch seams to assure clearance.

I am hoping that the slightly smaller diameter will work just as the blog suggests and I will not have to trim anything.

Thanks to all for sharing all the comments.

·
Registered
2019 Transit 148 Extended High Roof
44 Posts
I'm 90% sure this is the size KO2s I have on my 2019 250 SRW. They fit/work great with no suspension mods. No rub, but it is quite close in the front. I think they're a bit squirrely on the highway, but I also have a 9000lb van so YMMV.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
My surly two cents: I don't think lifts help much with larger tires, because the narrow section is still close to the level of the hub even after a 2" lift. You'd have to lift the body at least 4-5" to get that part where the pinch welds hit the tires up to a point where the full diameter of the tire is below them. Not so much the rears, but the front with it's limited space, especially at full lock turning. But if you just raise the front, all the kids would think you're cool!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Cloud Sky Tire Car Mountain

Reactions: B76

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again to everyone.

FWIW, just got back from the tire shop. The 255/70 R16 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires seem to fit great. The ride feels much improved, like I am actual tires rather than the bloated porgy sausage feel the OEM Vancos provided.

I dare say the van finally looks like the tires on it were meant to be on it. The OEM tires always looked unnaturally undersized for our Mid Roof Mid Length van.

I just wanted to pass on the good news, and, if they ever stumble upon this thread, thank the FarOut Ride bloggers for making the emphatic statement that this tire size fits the van so well. Their confidence in this tire size influenced me to make the specific choice for our van.

The guys at the tire shop were enthused to observe the fit. They had never worked with this combination and seemed excited to learn about the option.

Good news all around!

Thank you!

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
898 Posts
Good info! Now go wear those puppies out! :cool:

·
Registered
2020 Long High AWD 250
11 Posts
Did you get a spare of the same size and does it fit in the OEM under-floor location?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I put the same size larger tires on my van. I still need to get a larger spare tire. I found out that there is no way to turn off traction control and the traction control will limit driving to about 5mph if I install the factory size spare. That is true even it you put the smaller spare on the front.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I put the same size larger tires on my van. I still need to get a larger spare tire. I found out that there is no way to turn off traction control and the traction control will limit driving to about 5mph if I install the factory size spare. That is true even it you put the smaller spare on the front.
This is very good to know. So if you get a flat the spare is only good to rest it on. While you get the flat fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From FarOutRide: "We are running BF Goodrich KO2 LT255/70R16 E (load index: 120) tires right now and this is what we recommend if you want to upgrade to all-terrain, snow-approved tires on your stock Ford Transit van (factory wheels, no body lift)."

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found out that there is no way to turn off traction control and the traction control will limit driving to about 5mph if I install the factory size spare. That is true even it you put the smaller spare on the front.
Are you saying that turning off the traction control button with the TCS button, which I often times do just to get up my driveway, does not turn off the traction control when a mismatched tire is sensed, or are you saying that your van does not have a TCS button?

Thank you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can hold the TCL button to reduce the aggressiveness of the traction control, but it doesn't turn it off. My local Ford dealer has installed larger tires on many Transits. They found out that if you put one smaller spare tire, on the front or the back, the traction control limits the driving speed to less than 5mph. The service manager warned me about this when he saw that I had larger tires with a smaller spare. I researched this and found out that his claim is 100% true.

I have a 148" standard length van. I should be able to fit a larger spare, under the van, by reducing the tire pressure to 10lb and pulling it to the back with a ratchet strap. I'm still building the van but will need to take care of this before I take a long trip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts