Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the 4" factory back up screen and have been very unhappy with the image it displays so I bought an aftermarket unit. The first one came DOA but the second one is great. It's a major improvement.

EDIT: First things first: If you have rear windows without black out curtains, this is not for you. When off it's a mirror so in the daytime, it shows two images, one reflected and one camera view. That isn't a problem for me as I have black outs that are always closed. I didn't know that until today.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082XW8217/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: bayou2beach

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
134 Posts
Dang it, now you're going to force me to add this project to the list. I had it as one of the top projects when we bought our van last year, but it's slowly worked its way down in priority. How was the install?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang it, now you're going to force me to add this project to the list. I had it as one of the top projects when we bought our van last year, but it's slowly worked its way down in priority. How was the install?
First things first: If you have rear windows without black out curtains, this is not for you. When off it's a mirror so in the daytime, it shows two images, one reflected and one camera view. That isn't a problem for me as I have black outs that are always closed. I didn't know that until today.

Installation was easy since I'm doing ceiling panels now and I also have a north south bed with a headboard to mount the camera to. You have to consider the center back of the van is metal and black covered glass. It worked great mounted to my headboard with some wood moving it up to the rear window.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
588 Posts
We have a similar unit (https://amzn.com/B089SVCW1X - a lot more money! 🤔 ) and I like shifting between mirror versus camera mode. Camera is taped to the top of the center brake light. FWIW...

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
684 Posts
We have a similar unit (https://amzn.com/B089SVCW1X - a lot more money! 🤔 ) and I like shifting between mirror versus camera mode. Camera is taped to the top of the center brake light. FWIW...
I have the same unit. For some reason, the voice command does not work consistently. Just like my wife, sometimes, she just doesn't listen. Sometimes she listens to the radio and does something without me knowing it and then says "OK" 😂 It drives me nuts.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The Vantop 4K model was the most popular for a while, but the price has nearly doubled in the past month. Maybe they've been hit by the chip shortage too or something.

There's a 4K 10" model out there under some other brand for what the original Vantop sold for, my van didn't come with a mirror though, and has been on backorder for 2 months now.

·
Registered
2019 T250 HR 148 3.5 EB 3.31 SYNC 3
25 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
The Vantop 4K model was the most popular for a while, but the price has nearly doubled in the past month. Maybe they've been hit by the chip shortage too or something.
Which price checker are you using? Item doesn't show up on the one I use (CamelCamelCamel). Thanks

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
684 Posts
This is a common practice for Chinese companies to raise the price of their product when are selling well. American companies will do this too but react slower pace.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
588 Posts
Ah. I didn't think I paid that much... 🤔 😄

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
464 Posts
That's the camel^3 graph as I recall it. - I painstakingly purchased at $199 even though I saw the changes over time. It was $220 earlier this week so I stopped following then so I could at least know it got worse.

If you look in the gray, the link to 3cmls.co is in the top right.

Which price checker are you using? Item doesn't show up on the one I use (CamelCamelCamel). Thanks

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
That's the camel^3 graph as I recall it. - I painstakingly purchased at $199 even though I saw the changes over time. It was $220 earlier this week so I stopped following then so I could at least know it got worse.

If you look in the gray, the link to 3cmls.co is in the top right.
Thanks. I'll have to double check what is going on with my Chrome extension. Maybe the web page works better?
Yea, I mostly use it to avoid buying stuff at a some of the crazy short term price spikes on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
464 Posts
Good question - no, not uninterrupted. It's hooked to the overhead lights so it turns off 10 minutes after the van doors are shut if the engine isn't running.

The Vantop has a battery so the 'impact record' features still work, but probably not forever.

·
Registered
254 Posts
On Feb 2nd the VanTop H610 (10" 2.5K) was $79.99 on Amazon. It's $120 now.

My main use is the rear view mirror, and for the brief amount of time I look at it, I don't think resolution of the mirror/extra 2" would make a difference. I thought the 4K referred to the front camera resolution, and I suspect the H610's 2.5K will be sufficient if there is ever an insurance issue.

·
Registered
318 Posts
On Feb 2nd the VanTop H610 (10" 2.5K) was $79.99 on Amazon. It's $120 now.

My main use is the rear view mirror, and for the brief amount of time I look at it, I don't think resolution of the mirror/extra 2" would make a difference. I thought the 4K referred to the front camera resolution, and I suspect the H610's 2.5K will be sufficient if there is ever an insurance issue.
4K is indeed referring to the recording resolution.

I haven't seen a back-to-back comparison, but the higher resolution should have a better chance of catching a license plate (all other things equal). That might be the different in collecting on your own insurance vs someone else's, which could determine your annual premium for years to come.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts