Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon removing the jump seat in our 12 passenger wagon, I realized that it's the only seat mount that sticks above the floor. It's very easy to trip on, uneasy to step on and the front looks like it could easily cut you. How did you remove yours?

I would like to remove it. The problem is that the torx bolts on the track are recessed far enough from the cutouts in the carpet floor that I think you'd have to remove the floor to get to them.

I tried removing the step trim panel and lifting the floor up enough to try to get to the bolts, but no luck. Ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
When i look at mine i can see one of the thorx head bolts for each track. try to measure how far from the latch portion the other. you can cut a slice in the carpet with a utility knife you may be able to see the other one, carefull pull back the carpet, drill a small hole and remove the bolt. an adhesive caulk may be enough to hold the plywood and then spray adhesive for the carpet. when i get a chance that is what i am going to do for the jump seats also. it it works let me know it will take some of the stress off.
good luck and if you are in my old neighborhood (32 years) of pleasure point tell it i do not miss it's new members.

after thinking about it with a clear head you may need to cut some of the plywood base in a rectangle to pull the track out. a straight edge and perhaps a multi tool so you do not go to far. i have also just considered cutting off the bracket that stick above the floor and filling. then a carpet or throw rug.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
Has anyone ever addressed this? I just acquired two 15 passenger wagons and started meddling with seats like I did on our 12 passenger. I would like to remove the brackets protruding and be able to replace them as needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The floating floor will need to be remove for this MOD. I've removed the last row (4th) of seat floor rails and cut two of them down to replace the single seat by the slider. you'll need to drill new holes in the rails to bolt them down in the factory floor locations of the TORX rails. Them I swapped the two TORX bolt seat base legs with two from the fourth row seat which are factory quick lease. Keep in mind I covered my 2018 van seating from a 12 passenger to only 8. So that's why I removed the 4th row of tracks. You can find used quick release seat rails on Ebay, if you plan on keeping the last row in your van. The floating floor will need a small amount of cutting (for clearance) around the quick release area of the rails for it to work with the new legs. This was a very simple mod. I just wish Ford made it that was to begin with.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
This was changed starting in 2019 when I had suggested to Ford about the brackets sticking above the floor level and the potential of a person getting injured from exiting the van and falling on the ground outside the door. They were not aware that the owners were removing this seat for making a wider exit and the problem became evident.

So for the 2019 model this seat became a removal seat by the same quick release handles as the other seats and it left a flat surface when the seat was removed. To make this happen on the earlier 2015 to 2018 models, it requires the replacement of the floor mounting brackets and the seat brackets. If you have a 12 passenger van, this makes it where you can remove ALL of the seats and have a level floor through the entire flooring area.

On some of the single 4 leg Transit seats, I have changed out the seat legs and obtained the floor mounting brackets so you can add this seat to a passenger van or as a added seat to a cargo van. You can use the seat legs from some of the other Transit seats but you will need to purchase the floor mounting brackets from Ford. The first ones I got from Ford were about $160 for the pair and you may have to relocate one of the original mounting holes for it to fit properly as Ford did make a slight change in the bolt pattern from the earlier models to the 2019 model.

This is only if you are installing the seat back in its original position in the passenger van. For using in the cargo van, you just need the floor mounting brackets that has the cross bar on each end of the floor mounting bracket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m working on taking the seats out of my 2019 right now. It looks like Ford has changed most of the brackets as CrewVanMan mentioned. The single seat above the wheel well still has one bracket that sticks up. At least that’s the case for the Extended length ones

·
Registered
160 Posts
After searching the forum for a duplicate, I ran in to this thread and it's quite similar so I thought I'd pose the question here:

Has anyone found a cover/plug for the 2019 and newer holes? It seems like a straight forward 3D print piece, but I don't have a printer. It almost makes me want to reach out to buddies that do to make some!

·
Registered
2018 350 XLT 3.5L
201 Posts
After searching the forum for a duplicate, I ran in to this thread and it's quite similar so I thought I'd pose the question here:

Has anyone found a cover/plug for the 2019 and newer holes? It seems like a straight forward 3D print piece, but I don't have a printer. It almost makes me want to reach out to buddies that do to make some!
I was working on designing a universal one to fit all of my quick release holes. It snaps into the seat rails below. I printed my first version, and it worked ok but the seat rail is a little above the floor and to try to make it fit both front and rear holes it's a little loose in each. Haven't worked on V2 yet so if you come up with something let me know!

Floor Tile Flooring Wood Laminate flooring Knife Wood Blade Material property Hardwood Wood Floor Flooring Laminate flooring Wood flooring

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was working on designing a universal one to fit all of my quick release holes. It snaps into the seat rails below. I printed my first version, and it worked ok but the seat rail is a little above the floor and to try to make it fit both front and rear holes it's a little loose in each. Haven't worked on V2 yet so if you come up with something let me know!

View attachment 135370 View attachment 135371 View attachment 135372
Have you made any headway on this? I too need something similar for the 2nd row removeable bench. Let me know if you are willing to sell 4 to me.

·
Registered
2018 350 XLT 3.5L
201 Posts
Have you made any headway on this? I too need something similar for the 2nd row removeable bench. Let me know if you are willing to sell 4 to me.
Nothing yet. My design would also be dependent on how thick your floor is, so I'll have to think of a better way at some point.

·
Registered
2018 350 XLT 3.5L
201 Posts
I realized I was overthinking this and came up with a different solution. Except for the mounts where I've enlarged the floor to flip the seats a standard outlet cover would work. I didn't have a blank cover handy to test, but you get the idea. I plan on using some strips of 1/4" wood above the rail below the subfloor and using a wood screw in place of the outlet cover screw. It fits both front and back holes, even with the mount rail sticking above the floor a bit. Will be easy to take out and put back when needed. I'll probably get some black aluminum ones, and my wife will be happy to stop asking if I'll be covering those holes!
Floor Compact cassette Electronics Room Technology Wood Wall Wall plate Rectangle Floor

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I tried to get a company called Steele Rubber Products to design a rubber snap-in cover to put in place when you remove the Transit seats. These guys are more into the older vehicles and I even gave them a Ford dealer close to them where they could see a passenger van and get a idea of what it would take to make a snap-in cover. A rubber one would be more flexible and easy to take in and out and once it is done, you could sell them in a plastic bag with the correct number for how many you want to cover or by the passenger van seating configuration. These would mostly be needed for the CrewVan for the 6 seat openings and more if you have a 8, 10, 12, or 14/15 passenger van.

·
Registered
2018 350 XLT 3.5L
201 Posts
I've also started making covers for these holes, looking at my old posts I guess it only took a year or so to refine my design :ROFLMAO:. Although not 3D printed anymore, but machined.

One version is just a cover, and the other uses the seat rail for a mounting point. Fit both front and back quick release locations.

Wood Grey Font Automotive tire Floor

Portable communications device Communication Device Wood Bumper Gadget Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Traffic light Material property

·
Registered
2018 350 XLT 3.5L
201 Posts
A year later, but now I'm making some if you still need them haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts