Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unfortunitly, or fortunitly, however you want to look at it.......go the the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC), CDC Works 24/7 and do some looking around.

Unless they have gone and hidden the data from the public, a month ago the death-rate was identical to the Flu Season of 201-2012! Hmm, I don't remember wearing a mask back then, but then maybe I'm forgetful!

If you do not get the, "immunization" (which it is not, another story) and "Catch COVID", your chances of surviving are around 93.3%!!!
BTW, I will come to Canada again, as I do every year as soon as the border opens!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Unfortunitly, or fortunitly, however you want to look at it.......go the the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC), CDC Works 24/7 and do some looking around.

Unless they have gone and hidden the data from the public, a month ago the death-rate was identical to the Flu Season of 201-2012! Hmm, I don't remember wearing a mask back then, but then maybe I'm forgetful!

If you do not get the, "immunization" (which it is not, another story) and "Catch COVID", your chances of surviving are around 93.3%!!!
Careful. This is not the road we want to go down.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
564 Posts
My wife was in Detroit in October or November and had some hassle with accidentally getting on a bridge that went "across the border" to some northern foreign country - which was a no-no at the time. Such strange stuff.

Two of my adult children (of three who live with us) confirmed positive in August. At the time, they didn't recommend we test - assumed we had it or were getting it, I guess. Wife and I had zero symptoms; the two kids (22 years old) had very mild symptoms. We're in no rush to get the vaccine; but I'm sure we will eventually.

Southern California here. Orange County - which is basically the southern edge of Los Angeles County (~3M people to LA's ~10M). LA and OC outbreaks have concentrated where incomes are lowest; though not exclusively, of course. We've also got regions of strong deniers and the opposite (can't find the right words without sounding like I have an opinion on it). Generally grouped into cities and/or neighborhoods; but not exclusively, again, of course.

Many friends and family have vaccinated already - first and/or second shots. J&J just started to show up here a couple weeks ago. Personal anecdotal observation is that the previous "high risk" folks (70+ or other low-immune issues) seem to have less to zero reaction to the vaccines and the healthiest folks seem to be taking a beating - bedridden in cases and two deaths in our extended circle.

Interesting case for many vaccinations (among younger friends and family) is getting on a call-list for, "we have extra doses that will go bad and you can have it if you're here within two hours." Also apparently easy to get on the approved list by fibbing about one's situation - at least one person we know said she was starting a job in a preschool and they approved her in spite of being 30-something. Weird stuff.

I don't think we're handling the situation particularly well (in SoCal at least). The behavior I've observed doesn't match the change in data; makes me wonder if the thing just started to fizzle a bit - maybe the most susceptible had it? But I'm glad to see things loosening up a bit.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My wife was in Detroit in October or November and had some hassle with accidentally getting on a bridge that went "across the border" to some northern foreign country - which was a no-no at the time. Such strange stuff.

Many friends and family have vaccinated already - first and/or second shots. J&J just started to show up here a couple weeks ago. Personal anecdotal observation is that the previous "high risk" folks (70+ or other low-immune issues) seem to have less to zero reaction to the vaccines and the healthiest folks seem to be taking a beating - bedridden in cases and two deaths in our extended circle.
That's Ambassador bridge, which is privately owned! BTW that part of Canada is south of the US.
My parents 90/94 had no reaction to their second dose. My brother 63 was on his a$$ for 3 days.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just repeating this part of the original post for anyone who missed it. I've been pleasantly surprised by most replies so far. Perhaps you "Merikuns" (thanks Bill) aren't so bad after all. 😁

Everyone is understandably sick of this, so if you just want to b##ch about it, this isn't the place. No denials, conspiracy theories, blaming, or politics - or at least the bare minimum if really necessary. I just want to hear about what's different now that has caused this shift. What's going right? Maybe we can learn something on this side of the fence.

Please keep your responses respectful and considerate to EVERYONE! I'd urge moderators to monitor this thread and shut it down if people are unable to do that. Who knows? Maybe it's just not possible to keep it civil.

Reactions: Stone and Basko

·
Registered
112 Posts
Both my parents (74/73) and in laws (74/75) all have been vaccinated, no reactions among them. I got my second shot of Pfizer yesterday and no reaction so far other than a sore arm.

Anecdote: my sons are in little league. One teammate on my 2nd sons team was exposed to a positive relative. The entire team is now on “pause” AND my youngest player son #3 is also excluded from HIS team activities until the exposed kid clears two tests because he shares a household with son #2. This is on top of the masking and separation protocols. At least I got to watch kids play a game yesterday. Felt as close to normal I’ve felt in 13 months.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Both my parents (74/73) and in laws (74/75) all have been vaccinated, no reactions among them. I got my second shot of Pfizer yesterday and no reaction so far other than a sore arm.

Anecdote: my sons are in little league. One teammate on my 2nd sons team was exposed to a positive relative. The entire team is now on “pause” AND my youngest player son #3 is also excluded from HIS team activities until the exposed kid clears two tests because he shares a household with son #2. This is on top of the masking and separation protocols. At least I got to watch kids play a game yesterday. Felt as close to normal I’ve felt in 13 months.
It seems that youth sports is one of the big areas of spread in my area.
Young people that seemed to not get as easily infected with the earlier strains may more readily contract and spread the B117 variant. The current vaccines are effective against this strain. It's possibly just a matter of time before B1351 becomes more common. The vaccines are not very effective against that one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Everyone in my family has either been completely vaccinated or has had their first shot, waiting for second in the next couple weeks. We all got Pfizer, except for my dad, he got Moderna.

In CO it is a little difficult to sign up since it is not centralized under one entity, but with a little effort, we didn’t have too much of a problem. It is really starting to open up and getting easier to find places to make an appointment.

Things are getting a little bit better everyday.

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT
82 Posts
Got my second moderna shot last week. First was fine, but this one sat me down for a day. No problem after that. There is a general sense of optimism I think with the vaccination distribution. Although in a poor state (MS) the vaccination scheme in my area has been great, lots of options and relatively simple online appointments. Even my healthy 17 yr old daughter will get her second shot next week. There’s rural parts of the region not so well served though, which is the next problem. Unfortunately for some things will never be the same. Lost my father in law in February and his wife barely survived but is improving. This is a ******* little virus for sure.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Slightly over 65 and with underlying conditions I caught Covid last April, All and all it was not that bad, One night was a little scary and two nights were hard, Then I slept for a month. The one night that was scary was interesting at the same time, It did not matter if I breathed normal or hyperventilated I got the same amount of oxygen. Which was less then I wanted but I made it though it. When your brain is deprived of oxygen you can not think, Can not remember, It just makes you totally stupid. < One of the interesting parts.
I think half of the people in Mississippi never wore a mask in the first place, And now that a fraction of them have gotten vaccinated three quarters of them are out there right now without a mask. Vaccinations, It has been anybody 16 or older for a month now.
Its business back to normal with major rush hour traffic jams and car wrecks every where. I had something early to do yesterday. Jets are circling the airport again after the skies being quiet here for a whole year, I enjoyed that. All of the schools seem to be open, The neighborhood kids do not seem to be wondering around anymore looking for trouble.
One good thing came out of Covid, My sinuses have been completely unplugged for almost a whole year, That has never happened before. There was some problem with Pine Pollen two weeks ago but that has since cleared up.

That new Double Mutant Coronavirus Variant sounds frightening but maybe it is just the name.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Unfortunately for some things will never be the same. Lost my father in law in February and his wife barely survived but is improving. This is a *** little virus for sure.
I was never blessed with a lot of empathy, but your story is a poingiant reminder that these numbers and graphs represent real people. Most with family and friends. Being constantly innundated with statistics in the news makes it too easy to become numb to that fact.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unless you are obese or old, you'd be a fool to be first in line for an untested vaccine given by drug companies who take no liability risk for a disease that has a 99.99x% recovery rate.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Jets are circling the airport again after the skies being quiet here for a whole year, I enjoyed that. All of the schools seem to be open, The neighborhood kids do not seem to be wondering around anymore looking for trouble.
This is something of a double-edged sword. I do a lot of outdoor activities, and have done so since long before the pandemic inspired outdoor craze. I'm looking forward to the day when everyone is busy again and I can find a piece of wilderness without some cluelessly naive "YouTube educated outdoorsperson" wreaking havoc nearby.

I remember the early days as well. Roads eirily free of traffic like some apocalyptic sci-fi movie. It was equally blissful and terrifying.

I do hope that the "return to normal" ends up with some positive changes though, because the previous normal wasn't all great.

Reactions: scorchen and Janus9

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Seems like a good time to stick in this snippet from the original post again to keep things on track here...

Everyone is understandably sick of this, so if you just want to b##ch about it, this isn't the place. No denials, conspiracy theories, blaming, or politics - or at least the bare minimum if really necessary. I just want to hear about what's different now that has caused this shift. What's going right? Maybe we can learn something on this side of the fence.

Please keep your responses respectful and considerate to EVERYONE! I'd urge moderators to monitor this thread and shut it down if people are unable to do that. Who knows? Maybe it's just not possible to keep it civil.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Unless you are obese or old, you'd be a fool to be first in line for an untested vaccine given by drug companies who take no liability risk for a disease that has a 99.99x% recovery rate.
My girlfriend and I are both young and healthy. When you look at the numbers there's little risk and little downside to getting vaccinated early. Especially when we want to visit family and friends that are much higher risk. I don't like to live my life on fear and the peace of mind We got from getting it with a downside of having a sore arm for a day was well worth it in our opinions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's a completely different vaccine than what we got and even then that is still extremely little risk. But hey I like to put lions mane mushroom in my coffee so this ain't my first time sitting around a drum circle.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Gentlemen, please. Not the place or time.

It was going well, but unless this stops I'll ask a moderator to shut it down.

Change the channel.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wife and I both had our second vaccine shots a week ago. No complications with either of us other than neck ache for a few hours, sore arm for a day and a half and a sleepy feeling the next day. OTOH, I have many first hand stories from the past year about Covid survivors (many are friends) who still have complications months after contracting the virus. The latest, a neighbor, 56, who is a retired nationally ranked athlete, I saw him raking leaves and stopped by to chat. He stated that he had a heart attack a couple months ago during his second week of being sick with Covid. Turns out his heart was inflamed due to the virus. A couple days ago, I talked to a cardiologist friend of mine and told her about this guy. She stated that about 20% of her patients she has seen over the past year are now living with heart related problems directly caused by Covid. In the case of my friend who had the heart attack, the doctors told him that he has substantial damage to his heart and that he will never be able to do any "intensity training" He says that Covid messed up his circuitry that regulates the beat of his heart. He is bummed, because he thought he was very healthy for his age, eats a good diet, is not over weight, and still trained and exercised regularly. His life has been permanently affected.

Edit: I should add that he told me he is a person who did not believe in wearing a face mask, didn't take many precautions, because he felt he was healthy and if he caught Covid, he would fight it off like 99.99x% of the population. He says he regrets that decision!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's a completely different vaccine...
Point is: none of these vaccines went thru human safety trials. Without trials, nobody knows what the short or long term effects will be. If you're first in line, you are the guinea pig. Early adopters can't know the risk until the numbers rise. Yes it's unlikely you'll end up like the unfortunates who were harmed by AstraZeneca. But given the underlying risk in your demographic cohort, which is low, I believe the best strategy would be to wait until sufficient data is available to evaluate the short and long term risks of the vaccine.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.