Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and if that isn't the most controversial topic title rife for a screaming debate, nothing is.

Contrary to the click bait above, I'd rather not. But it occurs to me as a Canadian on a forum populated mostly with Americans that from a pandemic numbers perspective, the tables have turned and your flatter epidemic curves have become enviable from this side of the border. Assuming it is as it seems, you should all be given some positive recognition.

I'm wondering if it looks and feels the same "on the ground" and "in the trenches" there (since everyone insists on war terminology, regardless of country.)

Everyone is understandably sick of this, so if you just want to b##ch about it, this isn't the place. No denials, conspiracy theories, blaming, or politics - or at least the bare minimum if really necessary. I just want to hear about what's different now that has caused this shift. What's going right? Maybe we can learn something on this side of the fence.

Please keep your responses respectful and considerate to EVERYONE! I'd urge moderators to monitor this thread and shut it down if people are unable to do that. Who knows? Maybe it's just not possible to keep it civil.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got Pfizer shot #1 today. Could not have been easier! I did have to go online to get an appointment a few days ago, that took all of 5 minutes. It was a drive-through operation and including the mandatory post-shot 15 minute waiting period, I bet I was in and out in 30 minutes. One form to fill out, then the vaccine card and then I got the shot, all through the driver's window.

And, I was in my Transit to boot. :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got Pfizer shot #1 today.

And, I was in my Transit to boot. :)
Woah! Bonus marks for both Transit and pandemic related reply! 😉

Is the vaccine rollout being prioritized by age and other risk factors where you are?

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
228 Posts
It does feel like we are coming back to life, which is fantastic because obviously everybody is so burned out on the subject. I read earlier that nearly half of the upswing is in just 5 States - FL, MI, NJ, PA, & NY. Fauci was talking about how part of this nationwide is because there are still so many people who've not gotten the vaccine thinking they probably had COVID but never got tested to confirm. They now are getting one of the variants. Meanwhile the odds of getting a variant after vaccination may be bigger than getting the original virus, but it's still less likely AND even if you do get sick, the odds of death or becoming a long termer are extremely low.

I don't think we'll really ever get back to "how things used to be" but at least I'll be able to hang out more with my kids, grand kids, and friends.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is the vaccine rollout being prioritized by age and other risk factors where you are?
Not as of April 1st in my county. Maybe other counties in Montana are the same; I didn't bother keeping track. Though the governor did say as of April 1 anyone could get the shots. I suspect by June or July they will no longer require an appointment even. Just drive up.

I wasn't old/sick enough to be in the priority groups.
I don't think we'll really ever get back to "how things used to be".
Yes we will. Maybe a year or so, but we will.

·
Registered
21 AWD 130 Mid Roof
10 Posts
In my smallish community in Oregon things are looking up! Our numbers are lower than they've been in a year. Maybe a mix of vaccines being distributed to those who want them and weather improving so outdoor gatherings are more bearable. I've been vaccinated for a couple months now and we're now vaccinating pretty much anyone who wants a shot. I got to squeeze my parents for the first time in over a year last month and it was amazing. My friends, family and I continue to be cautious. While I know my risk is decreased by being vaccinated, I can still carry and transmit COVID (as far as we know right now) so I continue to do everything possible to protect others. Small silver lining for me is that I was able to finally save enough by staying home to buy the Transit I've been dreaming about for years. *I'd like to add that my silver lining is just that. This pandemic has been devastating and I in no way mean to overshadow the loss of life, income, happiness that it's brought. My heart goes out to those of you who have lost people you love or been otherwise negatively impacted by COVID this last year+.

·
Registered
63 Posts
... and if that isn't the most controversial topic title rife for a screaming debate, nothing is.

Contrary to the click bait above, I'd rather not. But it occurs to me as a Canadian on a forum populated mostly with Americans that from a pandemic numbers perspective, the tables have turned and your flatter epidemic curves have become enviable from this side of the border. Assuming it is as it seems, you should all be given some positive recognition.

I'm wondering if it looks and feels the same "on the ground" and "in the trenches" there (since everyone insists on war terminology, regardless of country.)

Everyone is understandably sick of this, so if you just want to b##ch about it, this isn't the place. No denials, conspiracy theories, blaming, or politics - or at least the bare minimum if really necessary. I just want to hear about what's different now that has caused this shift. What's going right? Maybe we can learn something on this side of the fence.

Please keep your responses respectful and considerate to EVERYONE! I'd urge moderators to monitor this thread and shut it down if people are unable to do that. Who knows? Maybe it's just not possible to keep it civil.
Here in our local area they've already opened up vaccine distribution to 18 and older. Both my girlfriend and I got our #1 pfizer shot 2 weeks ago. Feels like everybody in my circle is vaccinated or in the process so at least we will be able to hang out with people we know.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here in our local area they've already opened up vaccine distribution to 18 and older. Both my girlfriend and I got our #1 pfizer shot 2 weeks ago. Feels like everybody in my circle is vaccinated or in the process so at least we will be able to hang out with people we know.
Yup, we're definitely behind on that front. Current estimates for my age (41) is early to mid summer.

It's likely a function of the big differences between our respective health care systems, but that's another divisive topic for a different forum. 😁

Reactions: scorchen

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
134 Posts
Moderna vaccinated here. My family took precautions from day one and kept serious/diligent to prevent spread. I wish I could say everyone in my state did the same (Texas). But, with our typical Texas attitutde, we've all but written off the pandemic as being an event to no longer worry about. I'm in rural East Texas and most of the "bubbas" around me have fought against masks, vaccines and prevention from day one. The good news is our numbers have declined rapidly and we all hope they stay that way.

·
Registered
781 Posts
iT Wa$ @LL a TotAll $caM to $TEEL the Elekshun from our beloved Lord, the Great Orange One, Q himself ...............

KIDDING!!!!! Flame suit on
but seriously, it does feel like we are moving back to some level or normality. My wife and I are both counting down the days to our second shots. I visited my mid 80's mom and dad who are 4 weeks beyond their second shots and spent a fairly normal feeling couple of hours with them in their garden. Both were at very high risk previously so that's a really great feeling.

All of our friends and family will be fully vaccinated before the end of May so we are all REALLY looking forward to at lest a few decent weeks of late spring, before the fires start up again - yes we are in drought again on the West Coast :(

OTOH I really don't think we will ever get back to the old normal. The pandemic accelerated a great many economic trends that were well underway, chief of which being the transfer of influence from Boomers like me to our kids generation. The Boomers were defined by the accumulation of stuff - largely because we come from a time when nobody had any. The next lot are already defined by the accumulation of experiences, because they grew up having all the stuff they ever wanted but we hot housed them so most never had much free time.

My bet is things like shopping malls, movie theaters, Mc Mansions, destination dining, golf resorts, gym clubs, air travel will never fully recover, while DIY-travel, adventure sports, camping, ATV/UTV, smaller houses, outdoor festivals are on a sustained upswing.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Moderna vaccinated here. My family took precautions from day one and kept serious/diligent to prevent spread. I wish I could say everyone in my state did the same (Texas).
Good to hear that what our media focused on isn't universal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
We got our second shots today! Indiana has a surprisingly easy sign up IF you are comfortable doing it online. I heard that the call-in sign up was very frustrating with extremely long wait times. Several tweaks I would have made to simplify things but they didn't ask me. (why can't I just see next available within x miles?)

I got my folks and MiL registered in January. Got us signed up as soon as we were eligible. Took about 20 minutes in the queue and less than 2 minutes for the actual sign up each time. Unlike some states, IN has you make second appointment at your first one. Before the pharmacies came on board, each country had at least one site with more populous counties having several. Pharmacy sign ups are all different.

IL, CO, and NC where we have family it was not as easy. No centralized sign up. Eventually everyone snagged appointments through Walgreens but it took many more tries. I spent 3 days checking and rechecking to score a time slot for my niece (Chicago teacher). She was so grateful since she couldn't keep checking while she was teaching. Z had about the same experience getting appointments for his sister and BiL (also in Chicago).

The vaccination rates vary wildly from over 50% in one teeny-tiny country to under 20% in a few others. But I fear we will have some areas where the vaccination rate will remain below the necessary herd immunity level (we might have a lot of Texan transplants, or something). Neighbor behind us doesn't intend to get it. But everyone over 16 is now eligible (and they've dropped the residency requirement).

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a Canadian (and soon to be American too) living in the USA, I must say that right now I much prefer to be on this side of the border...
Ya, I can totally see the Canadian government deciding it's time to open the border, only for it to be denied by the Americans who no longer dream of fleeing north.

That's a bit pessimistic, but I'll admit to being disappointed by our government's response in the later stages of this pandemic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Received Pfizer Shot 2 yesterday and figured out my Fordpass remote unlock and start while I was waiting in the “reaction” waiting room afterward.

My county has stayed fairly stable since last June: lots of federal government and military here so protocols are fairly rigidly enforced throughout this community. I think there is a sense of it being over but we have a long way to go... a lot of people are still going to get sick, but I think the “managed risk” era is upon us. If you choose to vaccinate, then you have a very good chance that any infection will be mild and that death is not really on the table, which clearly changes the calculus.

Vis a vis Canada; in this case, speed of vaccine deployment to break the transmission chain has favored the US. The ability to “hedge” by pre-purchasing large dosage vaccine quantities from pharmaceuticals before they were fully developed was a strategic advantage the US had that other nations didnt and we are seeing that benefit now. That said, I’m sure we’re in for another spike soon from Variant B1.1.7 in communities with low vaccine uptake.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
In NJ about 55% of the population have received one dose, about 20% have received both, yet Rt in the state is 1.04.
It seems that the B1.1.7 variant is spreading rapidly among younger people that did not seem to be as susceptible getting infected by the earlier variants that have not yet been vaccinated. The State is reducing some of the capacity restrictions. Infection rate is right around where we were back in the horrific early days. The big difference is in the outcome of infection, not overall infection rates. The health care professionals have rapidly learned how to care for the infected and the very high percentage of the most vulnerable folks have been vaccinated.

My wife and I just got out first shot at a county run drive through site. Registration, sign up once my turn came, and getting the shot were all surprisingly efficient. Interestingly, my 22 year old son who lives in Cleveland Ohio was able to get his first shot a few weeks before us. It seems they don't have enough willing arms out there so it was opened up to younger folks. I will be interesting to see how long it takes our other college aged son who is NJ (elected to study remotely) to get his shot once the state open up the vaccines to all on 4/19.

I suspect (hope) that the US will be sharing more vaccine with our with both of our (once again) North American allies.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Southern California here. Moderna vaccinated. The wife is Pfizer vaccinated. Younger elementary school kids just went back to school this week full time. Work schedules are changing to allow for childcare. Older kids are still being kept in virtual learning, as they can’t really be separated into one “classroom” as they intermingle a lot more. Going out shopping still needs mask / hand sanitizer use, restaurants are mostly take out business. Governor has anticipated June 15 as a day that governmental restrictions will end. We will probably see masks still. I presume people may become more tolerant of people being ill and staying at home Rather than needing people to be tough and going to work while ill.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Related to US-Canada Covid impact. The Northwest Angle is a geographic anomaly where a part of MN is isolated (by road) from the US by Canada. Usually a quirky "inconvenience" the community was completely isolated due to Covid travel restrictions. I suppose once the ice road they built for the winter has melted they will once again be cut off.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Unfortunitly, or fortunitly, however you want to look at it.......go the the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC), CDC Works 24/7 and do some looking around.

Unless they have gone and hidden the data from the public, a month ago the death-rate was identical to the Flu Season of 201-2012! Hmm, I don't remember wearing a mask back then, but then maybe I'm forgetful!

If you do not get the, "immunization" (which it is not, another story) and "Catch COVID", your chances of surviving are around 93.3%!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.