Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Ford Transit Connect Wagon just a min-van by another name? Sure its a bit bigger, but other than that it really is just a van. Why aren't we calling a spade a spade? Is there so much dislike for the word minivan that we have to avoid calling them such just to make sure that people will actually buy them?

Ford even writes, and I quote:

Think of the all-new 2014 Ford Transit Connect Wagon as the #unminivan.
Generally if you have to actively tell people something is not X, than it most likely is X.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I guess... I dunno its just a morphing of terms that realistically means nothing in the long run. Whats a crossover? Mini vans were only named becasue at one point it was either a full size or bust... Personally I do think its a little more wagon like than others, its lower, longer and sleeker.

Call it what you want...

·
Registered
640 Posts
bigger than a minivan really
Did they stop the high roof version with the re-design?
Can you still get a cargo in the USA?

Looks like they are going to make it a wagon only and not deal with the "chicken tax" cargo version?

I liked it the way it was, but going with the big one (cargo)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
They weren't subject to the chicken tax. They were imported with windows and seats, which were pulled out and thrown away (shipping them back would have cost too much).
The window cut-outs were replaced with sheet metal panels.
Crazy as it sounds, that's how it was done.
Of course that's no crazier than the breakdown and re-assembly of cargo Sprinters in order to avoid the chicken tax.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Can you still get a cargo in the us? (cargo)
I just saw two cargo connects. One was a handyman. One white on a dealers lot, who by the claimed to have full sized transit in stock.

I would consider one if I could get my 10 foot pipe in it. >:D Todd

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Maybe soon a manufacturer will realize that there's a market for a long low van, just like there was an unfulfilled one for a short tall (Transit Connect) before it was introduced here.
A contractor's Low Rider...............sweet!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Was that the only (aside from the GMC version) rear wheel drive "mini van"?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The TC is substantially smaller than current minivans. Our Honda Odyssey is 203" long and has a 3.5L V6. The new TC is 190" and has a 2.5L four.

Mazda avoided calling the Mazda5 a "minivan" for years. Ford calls the Flex a Crossover instead of a wagon.

So call it whatever you want.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can you still get a cargo in the USA?

Looks like they are going to make it a wagon only and not deal with the "chicken tax" cargo version?

I liked it the way it was, but going with the big one (cargo)
They are available in short and long wheelbase cargo versions.

·
Registered
640 Posts
They weren't subject to the chicken tax. They were imported with windows and seats, which were pulled out and thrown away (shipping them back would have cost too much).
The window cut-outs were replaced with sheet metal panels.
Crazy as it sounds, that's how it was done.
Of course that's no crazier than the breakdown and re-assembly of cargo Sprinters in order to avoid the chicken tax.
Yes, I was aware of both, So how much does everyone pay to have the "stuff" thrown in the thrash? (just a remark)
Subaru "BRAT" with those 2 plastic seats bacwards in the bed (they did have 2 bars to hold on to)
LBJ did this?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I miss the Astro van.:crying: That was a nice niche that GM had going. Todd
I was @ "GM insider news", Alot of good, pro-Transit stuff. GM is waiting to see how the Transit vs. Econoline goes. They know they have to do something soon.(GM)

For the 3.7L guys: alot of talk of filling up your tank from your house with CNG @ 75 cents a gallon, 225 mile range?
I am one of the ecoboost guys, but look at what they (GM fans) are talking about.

Please correct as needed

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
For the 3.7L guys: alot of talk of filling up your tank from your house with CNG @ 75 cents a gallon, 225 mile range?
I was thinking of getting the hardened valves for possible future conversion until I realized how much room the on board tanks take and the limited range of CNG. Maybe propane would get 225 miles, but I'm guessing CNG would not.
Either way most of my driving is cross country so I'd never recoup my investment.
If CNG really takes off for work trucks though it could possibly significantly boost my resale value having the prepped engine.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Subaru "BRAT" with those 2 plastic seats bacwards in the bed (they did have 2 bars to hold on to)
And SUV's were for sport and utility, not image changers for soccer moms that wouldn't be caught dead in a mini van. They were always two door, like the old Bronco, until making them four door avoided the chicken tax.

·
Registered
118 Posts
CNG is not for everyone. If you have a local delivery service and drive a lot (>30K miles/yr) it can payoff quickly. Average drivers will have a hard time seeing a payback. Issues:

1. Certified CNG conversions are usually over $10,000
2. A suitable CNG home fueling compressor is around $7,000 plus installation cost. They also require regular maintenance.
3. CNG tanks take up some room. Probably want Type3 or Type4 tanks that are lighter but cost more.
4. CNG with its 130 octane does not run efficiently in an engine designed for 87 octane.
5. There are around 600 public CNG stations. Hard to use on road trips.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Good info,
Again I an going ecoboost, but how much stuff is put on by Ford as a "prep package" on the 3.7L?
And as even if not used, still add to the re-sale as Longboard said
I am getting a trailer hitch, but don't need to tow
But if I later want a newer one, would help re-sale with the "BIG" engine

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
There's so many other accessories that can go into the receiver.
I've got a swing away four bicycle rack, and sometimes haul a 2000 lb trailer.
There are also those platform things that slip right in.
I also have a step w/LEDs that I put in when not towing the trailer or using the rack.
Then again you can put a cool Blue Oval in it as well!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts