Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annoying Heater / Automatic Climate Control Behavior

While on a long cold road trip this week we ran into the following. We have a 2022 Extended Cargo with 12" screen and automatic climate controls.

it was cold in the van so we wanted some warm air. using the climate controls we can pick a temperature range from "Low, 60, 61......79, 80, High". The van then tries to achieve this temperature...seemingly no matter what it takes to get there. It was about 13 degrees Fahrenheit outside probably low 60's in the van. Any setting other than "Low" resulted in extremely hot air blowing out of the vents. There is no noticeable difference in the temp of the air leaving the vents from any setting between 60 and high. It was practically melting our toes. The only setting that made a difference was "low" and that just blew cold air on our feet. Is there no way to get various levels of warm air out of this thing? it's like the heater only has two settings. off and high.

what the climate system seems to be doing is saying, "hmm... they want it to be 70 in here. It's currently 65. I'm gonna blow 80 degree air out of the vents until the van hits 70" which it never does and is uncomfortably hot when it is blowing on you. I don't want the system to try and hit a set temp. I want it to give me that temp air out of the vents.

Anyone else notice this? The owner's manual is useless. Is there a manual setting?

· Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,682 Posts
what the climate system seems to be doing is saying, "hmm... they want it to be 70 in here. It's currently 65. I'm gonna blow 80 degree air out of the vents until the van hits 70"
That's exactly what it is doing. That's how automatic climate control works. Why does the set temperature never get reached?

· Registered
E450 Wagon
562 Posts
Yeah, sounds like normal operation to me, just like the thermostat in your house.

If you manually select more vents, then it'll reduce the proportion coming at your feet, which might help things feel more balance.

· Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, sounds like normal operation to me, just like the thermostat in your house.

If you manually select more vents, then it'll reduce the proportion coming at your feet, which might help things feel more balance.
Nope - I've experienced the same thing and it is definitely NOT within the normal function of even a terrible car HVAC. The computer gets stupid and starts blowing extreme hot or cold air at full blast. And there is no way to manually override the controls. The first time it happened to me I pulled over and tried a few things. Adjusting the controls the computer allows, no change. Turning off the HVAC, returned to crazy as soon as I turned it back on. Finally I turned off the van a removed the key and waited - on the premise that 95% of computer malfunctions can be solved by unplugging. This worked. I got the recall notice the next day. I am hoping that this falls under the recall and will be solved when I get the software update. (I will say that I don't understand why this requires a dealer service and can't just happen through FordPass. I'm not looking forward to wasting half a day dealing with this.)

The van is with the upfitter now and I won't be able to do the recall service until January or February.

· Registered
57 Posts
I vote for going back to the future with manual controls.
No. When done well, automatic controls are awesome. My first vehicle with automatic HVAC was a 1998 Oldsmobile. I set it to 72 degrees the day I drove it off the lot and never touched it in the 10 years and 150,000 miles I owned it. The fact that one manufacturer gets it wrong on one vehicle doesn't mean it's a bad technology. My Toyota Tundra has manual controls and it's a pain in the ass.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your van may be affected by the recall for the climate control system. I've attached the notice from the NHTSA. There's a thread about it here
Thanks @jm868 and @IsleofMan . nice to know i'm not going crazy. You're right. the recall just appeared in my ford account. I'll give it a shot and report back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts