Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want some wraps for my truck.I don't know about the actual purpose of these vehicle wraps.Some people says that they are very good for the prevention of vehicle body but i don't think so_One of truck wraps NY offer me the opportunity to have such wraps at very affordable price but my mind is not satisfied.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
345 Posts
It depends on what sort of wrap and your vehicle usage.

3M (I think) makes a stone guard vinyl material that is normally used for bra's and rockers.

I've seen many high end cars wrapped before they leave the dealership to protect the paint from scuffs, bugs, dirt, etc. These cars are not driven daily and typically never in inclement weather. While it does it's job, it would not stop gravel chips, door dings, tree branches, etc from doing damage.

I've also had the displeasure of removing more than one van wrap from a commercial van. Many times it has been on much longer than designed, has faded, turned brittle in areas and some paint comes with it.

If you're wrapping a daily driver for paint protection, plan on replacing the wrap every 3-5 years to keep it fresh looking and easily removed.

You could always Plastic Dip if you want more protection and it does come off very easily. If you want the ultimate protection, people in the Jeep and 4x4 world have turned to Line X over the entire outside of the vehicle. They make many colors that retain their pigment and you can't knock it off with a sledgehammer. However, you will never get it off either if you change your mind a few years down the road.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wrapped in What?

The 2 options I know of are Paint-Protection Film, PPF, which is colloquially known as 'Clear-Bra'. I have it on my wifes commuter and it Absolutely guards against rock damage, bug/bird poo etching, etc... self-healing to a point too (scratches will sorta of melt back into the product when exposed to heat). A little expensive, but way cheaper than a paintjob on the front end of the vehicle. The stuff I have installed has a 10 year guarantee against yellowing, cracking/crazing or other material failure.

Vinyl wrap, which is just a Very thin color change and may help with impact protection a little but that's not the intent.

As mentioned above, you can spray on plasti-dip ~ which I have on my van right now (just a clear, no color ~ be warned that it's a matte finish and bugs stick to it like Crazy, then show all the staining). I haven't pulled mine off yet to check for damage beneath, but there's no Obvious rock damage on my hood where I can find it on my A-pillars and roof just above the windshield. Or spray on a "liner" type product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
By car wrap meaning the one with designs? The one that you see in car shows? Never thought of wrapping a car since many people think that it can protect it from uv rays or dirt or even preventing your paint to fade but it would just result to the opposite. If you have a chipped paint it would even remove some paint when you remove the wrap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts