Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 2017 Transit Passenger with 55,000 miles and the diesel engine for a decent price. My intended use would be long weekend trips, no real daily driving.

In researching the Ford Puma diesel, I am reading quite a bit of negative reviews and problems. Is this just "squeaky wheels" or is this really a sub standard engine?

I have owned a 2013 VW Passat diesel (2.0 L 4 cylinder) and now have a 2014 Audi A6 with the 3.0L V6. The engines in both cars were great and I had zero complaints. I am over 100,000 miles on the Audi and it is still quiet and efficient as ever.

I would like to know from any members if they are truly happy with their diesel.

·
Registered
E450 Wagon
79 Posts
Doing all mostly highway-driving will greatly reduce the chance of problems with that motor. Avoid doing short trips, and definitely don't idle it for extended time. While it certainly has not been trouble-free, especially the emissions components, I think the problems were made worse (or really, not fixed, and many unnecessary parts were thrown at them) because Ford didn't properly train enough techs. If you do have issues, try to take it to dealer who handles of lot of these diesels.

Biggest downside IMO is that its down 120 horsepower compared to the EcoBoost. Even the base V6 makes more power, but that motor does have to rev. The EcoBoost makes more torque than the diesel even, so it doesn't have to rev, but it can when you want it to. Don't be temped to use a tuner to make up for the power deficit. Bad things can happen, and it'll cost more $ when it does.

Anyways, it should be under powertrain warranty still, so you'll have time time to verify it runs reliability. And as long as it's under warranty, you'll be eligible to add Ford Extended care.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I am planning on test driving this weekend, very excited.

I am surprised how people are so down on modern diesel engines. Other than the whole VW/Audi dieselgate I have had zero issues. The dieselgate settlement just gave me more money, cleaned up the emissions and extended my warranty. Hopefully I am not just spoiled on German diesels.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
From reading this forum there are many problems with the EGR starting at around 100,000 miles.
Forum search: egr

·
Registered
E450 Wagon
79 Posts
I am surprised how people are so down on modern diesel engines.
Mostly, they cost more to buy, cost more to maintain, and cost about the same per mile to operate. If Ford had not stuck the EcoBoost in the vans, the diesel probably would have been a winner by default. But if you have the choice, it's hard to make an argument for the diesel over the EcoBoost. And if they had sold more, they would have trained more techs.

Plus, some people HAVE had serious issues. As mentioned, EGR fouling is common. And the Transit actually seems less susceptible than the other baby-diesels. One more strike against the Transit diesel is that it was commonly spec'd for EMS use, who idle a ton, and that fouls up the DPF and EGR. And of course, the diesel was the only option in the Sprinter, and lots of those got used for stop-and-go driving. Then you see all the issues with the Ram EcoDiesel, and how PO'd owners are at losing so much performance after getting the recall done to meet EPA requirements. On paper the new GM baby is super promising, but then you find out they used a timing belt, in an interference engine, and it's on the BACK of the motor...🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am planning on test driving this weekend, very excited.

I am surprised how people are so down on modern diesel engines. Other than the whole VW/Audi dieselgate I have had zero issues. The dieselgate settlement just gave me more money, cleaned up the emissions and extended my warranty. Hopefully I am not just spoiled on German diesel.
It is not just people here; the whole world is moving away from the small diesel engine. Porsche, VW, and others stop their diesel development. I was a die-hard believer in diesel. With the current twin-turbo and advances in EV, diesel is not a viable path forward.

If you are set on a diesel, it may be a good idea to look into getting an older Sprinter. But I would NOT want to get a new Sprinter. We almost got a 2020 Sprinter, but after lengthy consideration and test drive, Ford Ecoboost is a way to go.

Granted, we are all different and want different liquids to flow our boat.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I grew up on a farm with big-diesel tractors and see semi-tractors idling all night at rest stops then driving all day. Those tractors and trucks work great. But i am with others. Above. I love my ecoboost in the van!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 2015 and a 2016 diesel 250. The 2016 was deleted. I just got a 2020 awd eco boost and am kicking myself for letting the diesel go. I did have DPF EGR problems with my '16 until I got rid of them permanently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts