Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing an inverter for for my cordless hammer drill so I can charge it. Dewalt says I only need 400 watt but I was thinking I might want more than that. I looking for a good brand that will take the abuse of a work van. I don't need to power the whole job site. Todd

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
You can buy a cheap inverter, or a good inverter, not both in the same unit.

I have found that MSW (modified sine wave) inverters will burn out chargers. PSW (pure sine wave) models will provide very stable power.

Don't forget that you will need wiring with a suitable gauge, and this can be the tough part, because proper crimping is something that is often not done right, causing corrosion down the road. That, and using too narrow a gauge of wire between the batteries and the inverter.

I probably would recommend this model of inverter. It isn't a Harbor Freight cheapie fresh off the Chinese cargo ship, but when you spend the money for wiring, mounting, getting cords through the firewall, and so on, paying the extra cash for a quality product can be important. It is a 1000 watt model, and can handle 2000 watt surges (for example, a small microwave.) Plus, when not in use, it is easily turned off so it isn't drawing power from the battery when idle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ordered my transit with the dual heavy duty batteries and the 110 inverter built in but that's more for gaming systems and a tv for on the road. I will occasionally use it for a small water pump also.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Is the Ford inverter MSW or PSW? I couldn't tell what it was from the documentation online, and this can make a big difference in life of electronic items.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts