Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Interior cargo paneling R value?

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Hein 
#1 ·
My van came with the clip on double bubble paneling. I'm guessing that it's R value is pretty low as it doesn't have a metallic side, but I'm curious if anyone has seen a quoted number for it's insulating qualities. Debating adding more insulation in the walls.

#4 ·
Most double bubble style insulation is metallic on one or both sides. The metallic side acts as a reflective insulation / radiant barrier. Products like Reflectix, metal foil backed denim batten, etc. all have a metal foil to cut down on radiant energy transmission. The foil on its own has no R value of course, but having foil can allow the bonded insulation to function more effectively, thereby increasing the R value. Sorry if I made it sound like the foil WAS the R value.

#5 ·
It's exactly the product I thought you were thinking about. And your use of "R" is fine since it stands for resistance to heat flow.

For most applications, radiant heat transfer is minimal compared to convection and conduction, so adding a radiant barrier to decrease radiant heat flow will have a very minimal impact on the total.

There are exceptions of course, but when used as insulation in the walls of a van where it's stuck between two surfaces at near-ambient temperatures, reflective type insulation will perform pretty much the same with or without the "metallic side". Just saying I wouldn't assume your insulation is inadequate solely because it doesn't have a shiny surface on one or both sides. It's basically the same.

#6 ·
Hello Ford Transit enthusiasts. We are authorized by 3M to provide Thinsulate SM600L noise/thermal insulation for vehicles. I am a mechanical engineer with experience in vehicle design and manufacturing. We just completed a Sprinter Build and have been enjoying van travel very much.

We are a mom and pop business focused on helping folks select the best strategy to insulate their van. Please see our classified ad over at the Sprinter-Source or send me a PM on this forum.

Moderators, please advise if this commercial post is out of line. Insulation is a difficult step for most van builders. We can make it easier so you can move forward on your build.

Thank you,
Hein
Impact, Inc.

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum Hein! I've been following your thread on the Sprinter forum, very informative, thanks for posting all that. I also live in Hood River and will order some Thinsulate from you when my van shows up, hopefully in the next month. Love to check out your sprinter too!

JP

#8 · (Edited)
Thank you for the welcome, JP. I really like the Ford vans and you are welcome to come check out our build when we get back to Hood River. I'd like to get a closer look a the your van as well.

I would be happy to answer any questions regarding noise and thermal insulation for vans. There has been a great discussion with useful links over at the ProMaster Forum.

Insulation - Ram Promaster Forum

Cool to see a good selection of vehicles available for DIY van conversion. The Sprinter was the only option for us when we bought our van used. Glad to see that there are more choices now.

-Hein

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.