Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While towing our 2500 lbs of popup camper this past weekend down to Colorado Springs and back (started at 5200', peaked around 6500'), I saw the intake air temps hit almost 145 degrees on some of the hills. That was almost 70 degrees over ambient.

Are there any viable intercooler upgrades for our vans? I've done some searching around and found some posts recommending the removal of the plastic block of plate (need to go look for it once the rain stops), but what about the condensation issues folks reported with having all of the IC exposed? I can't imagine condensation being a huge problem here in Colorado with the normally-low humidity, but still... I'd rather not cause problems.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What motor? 70 degrees above ambient is great for air that went though a turbo.
The 3.5. I just don't see temps nearly that high for the intake air on my 2.0 Escape or FoST. I've only ever seen about 45 over ambient with those, even when getting on it hard. Both of those have the stock intercooler as well. (Which I'm looking at replacing when I have some spare cash)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I did some checking on the intercooler and found it had the blanking plates installed, which covered over 1/3 of it. I pulled the bottom plastic loose and yanked the side and top blanking plates off along with as much of the glue as I could. The fix for the condensation issue on the intercooler is to drill a 1/16" hole in the bottom of the driver side plastic end of the intercooler, so I completed that as well. Started it up and had no issues, so hopefully from here on the intake temps will be better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts