Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Good news! I've found magnets that work and have updated the design (for cargo vans). Wagon vans with plastic trim still require suction cups. I took the upper trim off my doors to test and they fit very well and strong.

I have patterns made now for every window, so if you have a cargo van with windows all around, I've got you covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Window Covers

Amazing craftsmanship. I am a new guy and just starting to make my list of "needs" and "wants" for our family cruiser... These window covers are on both lists!
I am still trying to earn my security clearance on this forum, so no PM available at the moment. How might I get in touch with you to discuss pricing and whatnot?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have patterns made now for every window, so if you have a cargo van with windows all around, I've got you covered.
Great! So I have a pretty good idea what a fully "embellished" set would cost for my three windows in the back, could you tell me (and the forum) what a basic set of three like in this photo would cost?

Also, with the new magnet scheme is it pretty easy to attach them in a way that allows some light to come in from the top but still provide plenty of privacy? Thanks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I bet you could simply stick them on 4" lower than they should be to get some light. I don't know how flexible they are but maybe bend them down too and stick em on.

This is what I hope to do with mine, just gotta build them lol.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Amazing craftsmanship. I am a new guy and just starting to make my list of "needs" and "wants" for our family cruiser... These window covers are on both lists!

I am still trying to earn my security clearance on this forum, so no PM available at the moment. How might I get in touch with you to discuss pricing and whatnot?

Email is best:
[email protected]

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Great! So I have a pretty good idea what a fully "embellished" set would cost for my three windows in the back, could you tell me (and the forum) what a basic set of three like in this photo would cost?

Also, with the new magnet scheme is it pretty easy to attach them in a way that allows some light to come in from the top but still provide plenty of privacy? Thanks.

With the magnets you can fold a portion down, but like klp said, it's easy to slide the cover down a bit. I'm working on the new pricing with magnets. Trying to get a bulk price on rare earth magnets at the moment. Email me when you're ready

[email protected]

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Just finished a set of window covers with rare earth magnets for fargy483. He has a van with windows all around, no trim. Pretty pleased with the magnet setup, even though it takes much longer to make them and magnets are expensive. I like that you can fold the top half down and they still stay up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Happy to endorse belloinsella for the window coverings. These are the best solution for window coverings. The craftsmanship is top notch; the fit and finish are excellent. Garrett was a pleasure to work with.

I will post pictures here and in my build thread.

·
Registered
943 Posts
With the magnets you can fold a portion down, but like klp said, it's easy to slide the cover down a bit. I'm working on the new pricing with magnets. Trying to get a bulk price on rare earth magnets at the moment. Email me when you're ready

[email protected]

Just drove from the Redroof Inn Harrisburg PA to the Redroof Inn Madison WI. I will know if Im ready when I get your prices are you ever gonna publish them?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Just drove from the Redroof Inn Harrisburg PA to the Redroof Inn Madison WI. I will know if Im ready when I get your prices are you ever gonna publish them?

Magnetic window covers will be $250 rear doors, $200 slider.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Happy to endorse belloinsella for the window coverings. These are the best solution for window coverings. The craftsmanship is top notch; the fit and finish are excellent. Garrett was a pleasure to work with.

I will post pictures here and in my build thread.
Fargy. I have all around windows as well and am looking at Garrett's setup. Can you tell me how well it blocks out the light. Especially at night if you are inside with lights on. I'm more thinking about urban camping when I haven't gone to sleep yet and have lights on inside. I don't want any light at all to be seem from the outside. Just wondering if you have tested for this and what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I only have cardboard templates in my windows but I can attest that they block 100% of the light in either direction.

I can only imagine Belloinsellas work as well if not better. Don't forget you also gain R value.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Deadwood - these will make your interior dark and private. The material is sleek and aesthetically pleasing. It does not let any light through. I am impressed with the fit and how they block the light coming in and eliminate any light you'd see from the outside. There were no traces of light visible last night - from the inside or outside - around the edges of the windows. Further, the magnets eliminate the suction cups thereby facilitating stealthiness.

If you coupled the window coverings with a curtain to block the cab windows it would be pitch black. Do you have a roof vent? If so, you will get some light from there but no one can see the light coming from a roof vent.

I looked high and low and considered several alternatives - curtains, roller blinds, making my own, etc. and Bella's are bar none the best choice - functionally and aesthetically. THEY LOOK GREAT.

Fargy. I have all around windows as well and am looking at Garrett's setup. Can you tell me how well it blocks out the light. Especially at night if you are inside with lights on. I'm more thinking about urban camping when I haven't gone to sleep yet and have lights on inside. I don't want any light at all to be seem from the outside. Just wondering if you have tested for this and what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Ok, I get it, Belloinsella is the new Gucci. I am going to have to start throwing $50 in the kitty every week and if I can keep it in there w/o disturbing it I'll have some designer window covers!

Haaa. The funny thing is that I make bags for a living. Not high fashion Gucci bags but canvas and leather...the window covers are a side project that I enjoy and it mixes up my work load each day. Sewing isn't a DIY project for me but my day job.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
My wife wants to make a set of these for our Florida van. She is wondering about the suction cups and does not think they will hold, especially if it is windy.
Could you share your experience and perhaps your source for grommet and suction cup?

Sorry I missed your post. The suction cups are very strong and the grommets are steel size 2. The suction cups were a specialty style from Adams USA. If you have a cargo van with exposed metal I have found that magnets work well, but you need rare earth magnets with a good quality hold. I recommend eBay for the best price. Sewing with magnets can be difficult as they want to stick to the presser foot on the machine.

Reflectix is loud and has a crunchy bubble layer which does not sew very well but it's inexpensive. I use Low-E insulation and s diamond ripstop fabric. Neither are cheap. You could try lightweight Cordura fabric, which sews well but can fade in the sun. I'm sure tinted windows will keep the fading to a minimum. Good luck!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Belloinsella is a catchy name though! And I have to say that "I don't need your business" routine is something I am guilty of using and have had some success with.

Ha, yeah I guess that can be business tactic? My business is called Strawfoot and I'm sorry if it comes off as too cool of that I "don't need your business". I work full time and am a part-time/full-time stay at home dad. So things are crazy around here. Ha!

·
Registered
17 Posts
These look wonderfully made. I am still a few years away from needing these, but if you're still making them then..... I would order in a minute. ESpecially if there was an option for internal blue or green color!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Made some of these today

I decided to make some of these for my van today. I sew lots of my own gear so I had some ripstop on hand, but my wife wanted a "shaggin wagon" feel, so I had some paisley ripstop printed. I'm using rare earth magnets that I got on ebay and two layers of insulation: Insul-bright and some thin wool that I've used in various things in the past. Sewing with the magnets is a bit of a PIA, but all in all I'm really happy with these. No light comes in or out from the windows and they slap right in for when you just want to toss them up for a bit of privacy while changing clothes or something.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
If anyone happens to be at the Overland Expo this weekend in Arizona, visit the Van Compass guys. Not only do they make nice stuff but they have our window covers on display.

61 - 80 of 147 Posts