Ford Transit USA Forum banner

321 - 327 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Maybe the smoke was from an insecure spade connection? I think I’ll switch it out tomorrow for an actual line splitting connector off that purple-white wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I highly recommend you double check your work with the wiring diagram for your van. Especially considering that it involves something
critical like towing braking. Be safe and don't guess at it. I was able to figure mine out correctly before I got the wiring diagram,
but I did confirm this before trying to use it.

You can find the diagrams on ebay.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Haha, not bossy at all.
No, I haven’t gotten them yet. I’ve been trying to get to the Ford dealer to have the electrical guy there print me the pertinent diagrams for these connections.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here’s what I ended up with:

Blue wire jumping off the connector between center console and glove box.

Red 12v power coming off of VBATT line in center console.

White ground at a frame connection point to the left of the center console.

Black brake signal (I used a yellow extension in this pic) jumping off the white/purple line at the brake.

I hope this helps out anyone else out there with “tow trailer provisions”!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks Alarmist.

I just found the Q-227R1 SVE Bulletin that confirms what you have mentioned. Our vehicle built date was 1/13/15, before the cutoff date of 1/28/15. Look like I will need the wiring diagram for the tow/trailer electrical and duplicate the missing wire runs and connectors. This is becoming a bigger task than anticipated.

Does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for the tow/trailer electrical? Thank you in advance.
Page 58 and 59 of the BEMM have some information on this issue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks to everyone for a very in-depth write-up about what to do for wiring up the factory tow components. I have a question after reading every post in this thread: For my 2016 Transit 350HD Extended Passenger Van without the factory installed tow package, what all is required for me to use the factory wiring setup?

I purchased a Draw-Tite hitch receiver and installed it. I am pleased with the build quality and the overall installation. I also purchased a Tekonsha T-One wiring harness so that I wouldn't have to splice into the factory wiring harnesses anywhere. However, when I went to install it, the connectors that plug into the taillights would need to have 1 tab cut off of each connector (both factory connector and the T-One connector). I really would prefer to not modify the connectors in any way. So that got me looking at the wiring under my van. I have verified that I have the TRM and my van has both C431 and C495 connections under the chassis. Would I just need to purchase the jumper harnesses for the TRM and the trailer wiring to complete the wiring setup and then potentially reflash my BCM or other module(s) to get the trailer wiring recognized? Or am I missing something in all of this?

I do like the idea of using the factory wiring as it is already there and should work perfectly fine. I also like the idea that if I decide to ever purchase a trailer with brakes (presently don't have one with brakes), that I could possibly install the factory trailer brake controller - which I only like due to the trailer sway monitoring and the fact that it actually knows how much pressure is being applied to the brakes and can proportionally control the trailer brake pressure better (in my opinion) than an aftermarket controller. That being said, I know that attempting to use the factory brake controller is opening up a huge can of worms and that is not the reason for my post. I just want to know if it is in fact as easy as purchasing those 2 wiring jumper harnesses and the possibility of needing a reflash.

Thanks!

321 - 327 of 327 Posts