Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Transit camper van for a NY inspection yesterday. Mechanic answered ‘yes’ when machine asked if vehicle was altered. Inspection failed with message like ‘safety certificate’ required.

I did a little research and found definition of altered is ‘vehicle stretched or widened’. That’s it. Went back to mechanic. He entered ‘no’ to altered question. inspection passed!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I feel your pain. Took my Mazda miata to get inspected and the "mechanic" failed it since the accelerator pedal did not have a "rubber surface". He showed me his book from the state which said, to the effect, that if the vehicle originally came with foot pedals that had a rubber surface, that surface needed to be present to pass. I explained the miata accelerator did not have any such rubber and even got a mazda dealer person on the phone to tell him that. No dice. Had to go to another shop and get reinspected.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Took my Transit camper van for a NY inspection yesterday. Mechanic answered ‘yes’ when machine asked if vehicle was altered. Inspection failed with message like ‘safety certificate’ required.

I did a little research and found definition of altered is ‘vehicle stretched or widened’. That’s it. Went back to mechanic. He entered ‘no’ to altered question. inspection passed!
Now call your insurance and tell them you want your DIY build fully insured.

Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts