Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched several times and have found no postings on this yet. A couple of weeks ago I bought a used T350 12 passenger with the 3.7L.

Located behind the glovebox is what appears to be a filter box for an in cabin air filter. However when I took the cover off, there was no filter inside. I at first thought that the previous owner took out the filter and never replaced it, but upon further research, Ford did not put a filter there and does not stock filters for this van.

Anyone else noticed this or found a solution for this? My allergies in Texas are horrendous and I'd love to have a cabin air filter.

From what I can tell Ford has about 4 or 5 in cabin filter variations they use in various models (not all models list having an in cabin filter). I plan to try the different sizes until I find one that works (possibly with some modification to the filter as it appears the left rear corner of the filter box rounds over and is not square).

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is interesting, as the recommended maintenance schedule has cabin air filter changeouts at 20k intervals. I was just looking to catch our van up to the schedule. Maybe I'll measure the housing and find the fram filter that will fit that size.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Anyone try to source one from Europe? I might try that. Funny. I always hated changing the thing on my Sprinter because it was such a pita. I'm not talking about a small pita. That thing made me think Nuremberg missed a few. Ford builds the Transit with a filter in the more common location, easy to change, then leaves it out. Like someone from their IT dept. transferred to design or production.

·
Registered
98 Posts
cabin filter

ShadeTreeMech posted that he used (modified) a Fram CF8804A cabin filter.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Guys- I have found a US source for the elusive cabin filters!
I've ordered one, after it comes in and I verify it is correct and fits I will post the info.
Delivery date is supposed to be 10 days from today and it was under $20.

Reactions: robandmandie442

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's a link to a page with a few cross references for the elusive cabin air filter. It's a real oddball shape.

In case you can't read the page link:

Manufacturer FORD
Number 1839688
Description Filter, interior air
Length [mm] 280
Width [mm] 230
Height [mm] 30
Filter Type Pollen Filter
Cross numbers FORD 1839688
FORD BK2118D543AA
FORD BK2119G244AA
CORTECO 80004650
PURFLUX AH412
FRAM CF11743
CORTECO CP1466
HENGST FILTER E3921LI
TECNOCAR E703
COOPERSFIAAM FILTERS PC8382
FORD 1839688 can be used in car models

FORD
FORD TOURNEO CUSTOM Bus 2012
FORD TRANSIT Box 2014
FORD TRANSIT Bus 2014
FORD TRANSIT CUSTOM Box 2012
FORD TRANSIT CUSTOM Bus 2012
FORD TRANSIT Flatbed / Chassis 2014

·
Registered
233 Posts
Guys- I have found a US source for the elusive cabin filters!
I've ordered one, after it comes in and I verify it is correct and fits I will post the info.
Delivery date is supposed to be 10 days from today and it was under $20.
Can you give us an update? Did it fit?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey guys. Installed my cabin air filter yesterday that I sourced from Grainger on Budsky's advice. $30 shipped to my door, the closest Grainger is over an hour away, so I could handle the $10 shipping fee.

But, does it do anything? Does the air pass through that space? I've read several threads on filters, but can't recall this being specifically noted.
Yes, it most certainly does. The air filter is located directly above the blower motor, and the air intake is above the air filter. I cranked up the blower motor before install to confirm airflow direction. 100% of the air that goes into that blower motor comes through this filter. I'm quite happy with the install, it's easier than my F150 that came with one from the factory!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed one in mine...the AP30000 from Grainger...actually a Baldwin filter..perfect fit..also called Fram about their part number from the cross list that was b posted on here..they do not have that part number listed in the US.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Wasn't there a post a while back saying that the cabin air filters were left out of the U.S. models because it reduced the air flow with U.S. air conditioning, resulting in mold?

Semper Fi

·
Registered
541 Posts
Reduced airflow should actually *help* any mold issue, as it means the air can get that much colder and more moisture can be removed. (Assuming the evaporator coil's drain is working properly so the condensed water doesn't sit inside the vehicle.)

The filter certainly shouldn't be affected, as it's before the fan and coil, so wouldn't get wet due to air conditioning. The concern a couple of people voiced is the filter may be getting wet due to water leaking in from the hood air intake but that hasn't been established yet that I've seen.

Damien (not in US) mentioned in the other thread that he began to get a funky smell from his AC and removed the factory-supplied filter to see if that was the source. He didn't mention if that fixed the problem though. It's entirely possible something got caught by the filter that on a humid day began to stink - in which case I'd rather put a filter in so the gunk is easily removed, rather than covering the evaporator coil!

I keep forgetting to order one of those filters, think I'll go do that right now...

Edit: Just ordered online from Graingers. They *say* it'll show up on Wednesday, someone else said it took a month. We'll see! Maybe they're selling enough that they stocked up.

A bit over $18 with tax, they wanted $10 to ship to my house so I'll go pick it up. Their warehouse is only 5 miles from home!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Grainger's must have the filters in stock somewhere in the US now. Got an email yesterday that it had, indeed, arrived at the local store. Picked it up today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 transit connect cabin fiter

Finally found it! Apparently our model is different than a lot of others. We found it in the center console next to the fuse panel. Take out the glovebox; no need to remove the fuse panel. It slides in to the left of the fuse panel up against the fire wall. It's a flexible filter and needs to be wiggled out. This picture shows the filter halfway out, so you can see where it is. Looking in through the opening after the glove box was removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
^^^

That is a Transit CONNECT- this website is for the Transit- completely different vehicle.;)

Reactions: woodgeek

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Finally found it! Apparently our model is different than a lot of others. We found it in the center console next to the fuse panel. Take out the glovebox; no need to remove the fuse panel. It slides in to the left of the fuse panel up against the fire wall. It's a flexible filter and needs to be wiggled out. This picture shows the filter halfway out, so you can see where it is. Looking in through the opening after the glove box was removed.

Katie,

Below is a Forum web sight for TC enthusiasts . Unfortunately you posted on a web sight for the full size Transit. I'm sure the TC sight will appreciate your info.

Semper Fi

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well since this thread was revived has anyone found a better or different source for the filters?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts