Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After some communication with Ford about the Transit orders with the Power Sliding Side Door and those order being moved back a number of times for scheduling, we have a answer that you will not be happy with.

Due to supplier issues, Ford will not be building any more 2022 Transits with the Power Sliding Side Door. If you have a order with this option, you can contact your ordering dealer and they can remove it from your order and your Transit will get built even if it has a VIN and a projected build date. If you require the Power Sliding Side Door as a 'have to have it' option, then you will have to reorder your Transit as a 2023 model. There will not be any price protection from the 2022 to 2023 model. Your 2022 order will be price protected with the change to remove the Power Sliding Side Door from your initial pricing on your preview order.

I wanted to get this out to ALL Transit forum members and especially my customers who I have been working with through them as well as with Ford to get answers on why the Power Sliding Side Door option continued to get moved further back into production and NOW being eliminated from being a continued 2022 option.

We will be contacting our Crossley customers with their decision and you may want to contact your local dealer as they may not be aware of the situation or not concerned about your order. This could be the difference in you getting the 2022 without the PSSD or NO 2022 at all. Best to come up with your decision and get it relayed to your ordering dealer.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Not good news, but at least now we know that a number of other dealers weren't making things up when they contacted their customers with this information starting on May 9th (not that dealers are always accurate or even truthful, but in this case the same message had come from quite a few of of them "via Ford" to various customers).

Edited to change because I was saying I wish they would tell us why and now I see they DID say it's supplier issues but I missed that. My bad. I wonder if these same issues will mean no PSD's in 2023, since IIRC, this has also caused issues in 2020 and 2021 (?) The track record is not looking good.

Of course barn doors are simple, easy to get parts for, inexpensive, and don't even get clogged tracks or get out of whack. What's more, they close on the first try 😈 😈

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,254 Posts
It would be nice for Ford to figure out a way for a dealer to retrofit the option in the field for people forced to delete it
^^^^ this.

As I know from experience, the door can have all the mechanisms (or be missing all of them) but still function as non-powered. This would allow retrofitting when the parts are available. This should be an option.

Talk to them, CVM. Get a waiver for, "PSD parts to be delivered at later date."

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
First they took our Stop-and-Go, And I did not speak out...

then they took our Lane Centering ...

then they took our PSD. @Princess_Fluffypants

So, is the market going to be hot enough in a year to take the 2022 now and order an identical 2023 with the PSD and if it doesn't happen the order will be cancelled, otherwise sell the 2022 for a likely wash? Maybe the Stop-and-Go and Lane Centering will come with it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
^^^^ this.

As I know from experience, the door can have all the mechanisms (or be missing all of them) but still function as non-powered. This would allow retrofitting when the parts are available. This should be an option.
Yes! For people who ordered the PSD, I wonder if they could put in whatever "harness" or whatever is needed (if that's not what's in short supply) to those vans. Then if the physical parts could be added later, you wouldn't be good to go except "oh, that's a different wiring harness that needs to be installed when it's built and you don't have it."

·
Registered
2005 Honda Odyssey EX. Converted for nomadic lifestyle.
90 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess this means one less "Made in China" component in our van, huh?

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
250 Posts
^^^^ this.

I recall a little while back when you graciously posted a few photos about the components involved I already thought about a retro fit. Even for already delivered vans w/o PSD

Wish I had more time to big into that.
Would gladly pay for someone to install it…

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,254 Posts
Yes! For people who ordered the PSD, I wonder if they could put in whatever "harness" or whatever is needed (if that's not what's in short supply) to those vans. Then if the physical parts could be added later, you wouldn't be good to go except "oh, that's a different wiring harness that needs to be installed when it's built and you don't have it."
Funny you'd mention that... if they're already built but can't get parts, they may already BE that way... 🤔

I guess this means one less "Made in China" component in our van, huh?
Can't speak for the PSD parts (though I suppose I could check); but I think the 190A relay I blew that Ford said they couldn't source to replace was made in Portugal or something like that. 😲 But the drop-in replacement I ordered from China works fine so far. And something like 4-5 of them for less than the price of one from Ford. 😠

I recall a little while back when you graciously posted a few photos about the components involved I already thought about a retro fit. Even for already delivered vans w/o PSD

Wish I had more time to big into that.
Would gladly pay for someone to install it…
Yeah... I've wondered about that as well. Assuming parts were available (or the appropriate alternatives could be found, as in my relay story above), it would come to that wiring harness next. Since there's some "brains" going on with the whole slowing it down and stuff, I'm not sure what-all would work or not.

Reminds me... I have another story for y'all about AWD front wheel hubs and studs... I think I put some/most of it in another post. NOT a good story, either, I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
^^^^ this.

This is one of the times YOU and OTHERS start calling Ford again! My biggest problem with this situation is NO PRICE PROTECTION for the 2022 model going to the 2023 model if you ordered the Power Sliding Side Door option. Take it off the 2022 model, NO PROBLEM. But with the PSSD moving to the 2023 model, you may be paying $4000+ more than the preview order you have for the 2022 model.

·
Registered
380 Posts
This is one of the times YOU and OTHERS start calling Ford again! My biggest problem with this situation is NO PRICE PROTECTION for the 2022 model going to the 2023 model if you ordered the Power Sliding Side Door option. Take it off the 2022 model, NO PROBLEM. But with the PSSD moving to the 2023 model, you may be paying $4000+ more than the preview order you have for the 2022 model.
Phone number? What will they ask us for when we call? What do we say?

·
Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB
137 Posts
After some communication with Ford about the Transit orders with the Power Sliding Side Door and those order being moved back a number of times for scheduling, we have a answer that you will not be happy with.

Due to supplier issues, Ford will not be building any more 2022 Transits with the Power Sliding Side Door. If you have a order with this option, you can contact your ordering dealer and they can remove it from your order and your Transit will get built even if it has a VIN and a projected build date. If you require the Power Sliding Side Door as a 'have to have it' option, then you will have to reorder your Transit as a 2023 model. There will not be any price protection from the 2022 to 2023 model. Your 2022 order will be price protected with the change to remove the Power Sliding Side Door from your initial pricing on your preview order.

I wanted to get this out to ALL Transit forum members and especially my customers who I have been working with through them as well as with Ford to get answers on why the Power Sliding Side Door option continued to get moved further back into production and NOW being eliminated from being a continued 2022 option.

We will be contacting our Crossley customers with their decision and you may want to contact your local dealer as they may not be aware of the situation or not concerned about your order. This could be the difference in you getting the 2022 without the PSSD or NO 2022 at all. Best to come up with your decision and get it relayed to your ordering dealer.
On…….guess I’ll wait for you to contact me. Now I need to decide how much I want that PSSD or wait for the ‘23MY (or maybe 24)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Phone number? What will they ask us for when we call? What do we say?
I called just now and was eventually routed to Ford Marketing (800-334-4375).

Regarding the PSD, they have no information to share, and my order remains scheduled for a June 20th build week with no indications to need to change the order.

In regards to price protection, they said that is a dealer issue, and setup by them. I pressed them saying it was actually a FoMoCo policy, and they responded that the dealer would need to contact whoever they contact at Ford to setup price protection for a 2023 order since the system sees it as a new order. They weren't able to tell me which department does that.

So, that conversation yielded more questions then answers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also, my black hat here says what happens if suddenly a bunch of people delete the PSD and then bam, parts show up? Is there any harm in leaving a 2022 order in the system, that already has a VIN, with the PSD as is and then also ordering a 2023 just in case (and assuming Ford doesn't issue a policy that let's 2022 PSD orders go to 2023 with price protection, etc?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is it possible that Ford installs the wiring harness in Vans that have ordered the PSD? Then the actuators can be added in the future?

Seems like a pipe dream but perhaps it's a potential?

You've posted before about adding the PSD after production... and part of the large expense was the wiring harness.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
I called just now and was eventually routed to Ford Marketing (800-334-4375).

Regarding the PSD, they have no information to share, and my order remains scheduled for a June 20th build week with no indications to need to change the order.

In regards to price protection, they said that is a dealer issue, and setup by them. I pressed them saying it was actually a FoMoCo policy, and they responded that the dealer would need to contact whoever they contact at Ford to setup price protection for a 2023 order since the system sees it as a new order. They weren't able to tell me which department does that.

So, that conversation yielded more questions then answers.
Ford is the one to initiate the price protection from one year model to the next. They do not have a system to move the price protection for the 2022 model to the 2023 model as they will have the pricing for the 2023 model in place and the dealer does not have control over the price Ford charges the dealer. You have price protection on the 2022 model you have ordered even though Ford has changed the pricing 3 times since you possibly had your order placed with the dealer.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts