Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well, I clicked "Buy it now" for the AliExpress voltage regulator. It's a $50 CAD gamble, but considering I was never asked to pay the alternator guy for any of his time, this is probably close to what I'd have been out if he would have replaced the regulator.

It will be taking the slow boat from China, then I'm going to have to install it to test it. I'm well practiced, so that part isn't all that bad. I have plenty of free time right now, so might as well.

If the photo is to be believed, I'm likely to receive the 13680100 instead of 13680200. The listing contains the OEM numbers for both so here's hoping.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Here are a bunch of close up pictures of what you'll find inside the 250A alternator.
IMG_20210610_173650.jpg IMG_20210610_173944.jpg IMG_20210610_174050.jpg IMG_20210610_174121.jpg IMG_20210610_174143.jpg IMG_20210610_173729.jpg IMG_20210610_175022.jpg IMG_20210610_175143.jpg IMG_20210610_175253.jpg IMG_20210610_175329.jpg

Reactions: njvagabond

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
What kind of crap is this? Complain to the management (not that it has much effect). I'd love to share more but I'm not going to go out of my way if the forum isn't set up to make it easy for me.

Screenshot_20210612-095914.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 T250 R2Y 3.5EB 3.73LS
241 Posts
I thought they'd broken down that wall ....

Unfortunately this site does not allow me to post pictures. I have used up the meager allotment that is allowed each poster. I have complained but that does not get results.

As a result I am working on a separate blog to describe the build. It will be operational soon. I have been posting pictures on the Sprinter site. Search "orton diy-transit" and that will give you a link to the sprinter-source.com site.

Too bad this site's owners do not want to make build information available to their site users. Do not understand it because more information would result in more hits which increases site income.

·
Registered
2017 Transit T250 3.7L. 148wb magnetic
2,029 Posts
Orton "Unfortunately this site does not allow me to post pictures. I have used up the meager allotment that is allowed each poster."

If you're referring to the allotment of 10 pictures per post I usually will post a post with ten
pictures and then hit save and then immediately post another 10 pictures .

Example
I could post a total of 50 pictures in a thread.

Thread
Post 1--- 10 pictures
Post 2 ---10 pictures
Post 3---10 pictures
Post 4 ---10 pictures
Post 5---10 pictures

Total of 50 pictures

That's how i did my build , pretty easy to share info that way but one problem I encountered was
that if I ever want to add pictures at a later date they always have to go in the latest posts because
this forum won't let me go back and edit after a short time frame.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Here are a bunch of close up pictures of what you'll find inside the 250A alternator.
Next to last image doesn't look very good? IMG_20210610_175253.jpg
Slip rings (as I learned from alternator man videos - thanks for that rabbit hole) look quite scored for a newly rebuilt alternator. Could that be causing poor contact with brushes, causing output issues?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Make it easy and I'll play. Make it stupid and I'll find a different way to waste my time.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Next to last image doesn't look very good? IMG_20210610_175253.jpg
Slip rings (as I learned from alternator man videos - thanks for that rabbit hole) look quite scored for a newly rebuilt alternator. Could that be causing poor contact with brushes, causing output issues?
I wondered that too but I suspect this is just from them running coarse sandpaper over it. With how much play the brushes have I think it would be hard to have poor contact in spite of the rough surface. I will absolutely be thinking twice before purchasing another remanufactured one.

Lots of power was coming from the unit but it was the voltage regulation that was the problem. If I get the other regulator and see the same thing happening then I might look at other root causes.

Reactions: njvagabond

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I wondered that too but I suspect this is just from them running coarse sandpaper over it. With how much play the brushes have I think it would be hard to have poor contact in spite of the rough surface. I will absolutely be thinking twice before purchasing another remanufactured one.

Lots of power was coming from the unit but it was the voltage regulation that was the problem. If I get the other regulator and see the same thing happening then I might look at other root causes.
If the brushes are new and have smooth surface then there will be less contact than if they were somehow worn with corresponding grooves. Not saying it is causing a problem. Might be good "just because" to smooth them out, if you can figure out a way to spin the shaft. 🤷‍

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Might be good "just because" to smooth them out, if you can figure out a way to spin the shaft. 🤷‍
Yes, it's a good point. I'll make an attempt at it when I have it apart again, though it will more likely just be spinning it by hand for a while.

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
380 Posts
Another point on remanufactured (rebuilt) or used alternators,
The Bearings seem to be proprietary (part number), the bearing size is standard.
I think it has to do with the Grease (high temp) and runnig tolerances,
like I said earlier I purchased two used alternators, they both bench tested good.
took them apart to clean them up, popped the rubber seals off of the bearings to clean
and regrease, decided to replace the bearings, online couldn't match the bearing number,
local rebuild outfit just had generic bearings (Chinese), Installed new generic bearings
and had a subtle and intermittent bearing noise, Removed the front bearing from my low mile (25k)
150 amp. original alternator and swapped out, no more noise.
In conclusion if or when my New (used) 250 amp. alternator fails I will buy a new from Ford alternator,
expensive as it is, buy once cry once. People looking to upgrade to the 250 amp. alternaor are
probably going to run the alternator hard.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
In conclusion if or when my New (used) 250 amp. alternator fails I will buy a new from Ford alternator,
expensive as it is
Sometimes I think I have a fixation on having "the best" which is often (but not always) the most expensive. When I try to rein this in and try the budget alternatives, this often happens.

It will be a while before I get the regulator. Only then will I discover if I've thrown good money after bad.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I purchased two used alternators, plus one set of replacement bearings, plus electric motor bearing grease, for about
$150, plus the time tracking down the correct bearings, (which can't be bought), in addition to installing the alternator
twice, so I have some understanding of what you are going thru. Just thought I would tell my experience, so other's may
avoid going down this rabbit hole. The roller bear thing is what did it for me, even the re builder's are ether reusing the old bearings, or using standard bearings. It might run for a long time like that, but I didn't want any extra noise coming from the engine compartment, only have 25K miles on the van. Good luck with your alternator, I am sure you will get it sorted out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Here are some pictures of the first used 250 amp. alternator I installed. It worked fine except for the bearing noise.
The second used alternator I installed with the swapped front bearing from my original alternator also works fine.
I did notice that the first alternator ran approx. 14.5 volts and the second one is running about 14.2 volts.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sometimes I think I have a fixation on having "the best" which is often (but not always) the most expensive. When I try to rein this in and try the budget alternatives, this often happens.

It will be a while before I get the regulator. Only then will I discover if I've thrown good money after bad.
The your voltage regulator looks different from the voltage regulator I have. I wonder if yours is from a F series
pickup truck (more common) and maybe you cannot mix and match.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I will sell you my voltage regulator (I know it works) $10 and you pay for postage. PM me with shipping info if you want it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I will sell you my voltage regulator (I know it works) $10 and you pay for postage. PM me with shipping info if you want it.
A generous offer. I would have probably taken you up on that if I hadn't already committed to the AliExpress purchase. Let's see how that goes and maybe we'll revisit the idea.

Reactions: kazuo
41 - 58 of 58 Posts