Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got my Amazing Auto brand swivels installed on my 2020 Van with 110 volt outlet. I spent about 4 hours and the whole job. I love the swivels but the drivers side is not an easy job. I had a few hiccups and here’s how I solved them:
The passenger seat was easy. The one simple fix problem was the bolts that are supplied are too long. Went to Lowes and bought 8 Phillips head bolts that were 8mm by 16mm. Four for the passenger seat and 4 for the drivers side seat. I used the supplied nuts. That fixed the bolt problem.
The main problem was the parking brake. It had to be lowered. You have to remove the battery and I found the mount supplied from Amazing Auto wouldn’t work. It moved the whole parking brake back too far and the cable wouldn’t go back that far. NOTE: I have (had) the 110 volt outlet there too. I had to remove the 110 volt outlet and inverter altogether, then also remove the lower metal bracket that the parking brake cover snaps onto. The cable goes through it so I took bolt cutters and cut a path for the cable to go through. There’s one stud that sticks out of the seatbase in the very rear. I cut that stud flush and drilled a hole in it. That allowed me to use the new hole to bolt the parking brake to using the welded nut on the parking brake. The lower stud on the parking brake fit under the seatbase (unused) and I didn’t cut it off. The front stud went through the large hole where the wiring came out from the factory. I left the plug for the inverter under the seat (unused). I installed a washer on the front stud and it pinches the parking brake to the seatbase. I was able to take an oscillating saw and cut the bottom of the lower parking brake plastic cover so I could re-install it.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
292 Posts
Photos?

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
347 Posts
What grade were the bolts that came with it and what grade were the ones you got?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures would be nice if you have them . I'll be trying to figure out a way to do this and keep my 110V outlet
Good luck. There's no room. You could try and more it someplace. Mine was the 150 watt inverter. It's a 30 dollar inverter. I'll upgrade to a higher watt one and put it under the passenger seat. You lose access to that storage with the new swivel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What grade were the bolts that came with it and what grade were the ones you got?
Not sure. I'll get better ones when I get a chance. The seats were out and I had to use any bolts I could find at the time.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
As an aside, the Scopema swivels come with grade 8.8 on the larger dia bolt and grade 10.2 on the smaller dia bolt.
(M8 and M10? ... not going to check it out ... too cold)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve got my Amazing Auto brand swivels installed on my 2020 Van with 110 volt outlet. I spent about 4 hours and the whole job. I love the swivels but the drivers side is not an easy job. I had a few hiccups and here’s how I solved them:
The passenger seat was easy. The one simple fix problem was the bolts that are supplied are too long. Went to Lowes and bought 8 Phillips head bolts that were 8mm by 16mm. Four for the passenger seat and 4 for the drivers side seat. I used the supplied nuts. That fixed the bolt problem.
The main problem was the parking brake. It had to be lowered. You have to remove the battery and I found the mount supplied from Amazing Auto wouldn’t work. It moved the whole parking brake back too far and the cable wouldn’t go back that far. NOTE: I have (had) the 110 volt outlet there too. I had to remove the 110 volt outlet and inverter altogether, then also remove the lower metal bracket that the parking brake cover snaps onto. The cable goes through it so I took bolt cutters and cut a path for the cable to go through. There’s one stud that sticks out of the seatbase in the very rear. I cut that stud flush and drilled a hole in it. That allowed me to use the new hole to bolt the parking brake to using the welded nut on the parking brake. The lower stud on the parking brake fit under the seatbase (unused) and I didn’t cut it off. The front stud went through the large hole where the wiring came out from the factory. I left the plug for the inverter under the seat (unused). I installed a washer on the front stud and it pinches the parking brake to the seatbase. I was able to take an oscillating saw and cut the bottom of the lower parking brake plastic cover so I could re-install it.
Nice work. Could you expand on “I love them”? ....I’m curious about strength (can’t find anything other than their claim that they are “tested”.) Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work. Could you expand on “I love them”? ....I’m curious about wobble, strength (can’t find anything other than their claim that they are “tested”. ) smooth operation, etc. Thanks!
Sure. It feels like it doubled the size of the van. I wish they didn't cost so much and I really paused before ordering them. I feel no difference in sturdiness from the factory seat. They swivel very nice and you can do it with the doors closed. You just have to play with the back and forth of the seat. I'm thinking all the way forward is best but it's raining and I haven't played with them much. As for them being tested. They seem really sturdy and are as safe (to me) as anything else in this big tin can. They do latch in in other spots besides forward. Makes you have to pull the latch more than once to turn them around. That's a little bit of a pain but nothing major. The seat is technically higher but only if you know it. I don't think anyone who didn't install them would even know. I kind of like it better. YOU WILL LOSE access to the under seat storage on the passenger side. It's still there but you'd have to remove the seat to get to it. I may use it for my inverter.

Reactions: Magile

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sure. It feels like it doubled the size of the van. I wish they didn't cost so much and I really paused before ordering them. I feel no difference in sturdiness from the factory seat. They swivel very nice and you can do it with the doors closed. You just have to play with the back and forth of the seat. I'm thinking all the way forward is best but it's raining and I haven't played with them much. As for them being tested. They seem really sturdy and are as safe (to me) as anything else in this big tin can. They do latch in in other spots besides forward. Makes you have to pull the latch more than once to turn them around. That's a little bit of a pain but nothing major. The seat is technically higher but only if you know it. I don't think anyone who didn't install them would even know. I kind of like it better. YOU WILL LOSE access to the under seat storage on the passenger side. It's still there but you'd have to remove the seat to get to it. I may use it for my inverter.
Great. Thanks a lot. Based on other reviews as well I think I’ll give it a shot. I’m hoping that installing them on the 10 way seats will overcome the seat raise issue. Good to know about the passenger access. I was really hoping to install a heater under that seat. Might be asking too much....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more thing: My dog misses my F150. She would lay with her head on my lap or ride "girlfriend style" in the middle of the bench seat with her paw on my right knee. With these, now I can swivel the passenger seat and have the backrest against the window, then pull the seat over to the drivers seat. She's happier.

Sometimes I think she loves me more than the wife does! A guy told me once that if you wanted to see if your wife loves you more than your dog does, you can do a test. Take them both to a strip bar and lock them in the trunk. Go in for a few hours, spend a couple of hundred dollars getting drunk and stuffing 10's in G strings. When you're done, go out and unlock the trunk and see which one is really happy to see you and which one is mad. My money is on the dog!

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great. Thanks a lot. Based on other reviews as well I think I’ll give it a shot. I’m hoping that installing them on the 10 way seats will overcome the seat raise issue. Good to know about the passenger access. I was really hoping to install a heater under that seat. Might be asking too much....
I wouldn't know about the heater. You don't lose the room, just the access.

·
Registered
2020 350 AWD 148 HR CREW
67 Posts
Not sure. I'll get better ones when I get a chance. The seats were out and I had to use any bolts I could find at the time.
I used the supplied bolts and installed them upside-down. It still has clearance for the seat to move forward and back. The passenger seat install was super easy for me and took maybe a half an hour? Only mod was cutting the car seat achor. Only got one swivel because I don't like the look of the lowered parking brake without the trim.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used the supplied bolts and installed them upside-down. It still has clearance for the seat to move forward and back. The passenger seat install was super easy for me and took maybe a half an hour? Only mod was cutting the car seat achor. Only got one swivel because I don't like the look of the lowered parking brake without the trim.
i reused the trim. I just "trimmed" it. It no longer mounts to the floor and is just sitting there. I may anchor it at a later date. Looks the same as it did.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts