Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I've had the mid roof 2020 for 6 months. Had to park where there was " 9 to 9.5 feet" clearance. There was, unless you pulled through the parking spot to exit. Any way, ripped up the roof good and the satilitte still works but the cover is in my hands and the ? Seal? Is buckled. I need to get home after this trip and get it properly repaired. I thinking hot glue gun for a temporary waterproof fix. Lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bummer! One of my fears as well. Do you have access on the inside to push the metal up?

Reactions: surfgeezer

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put big vinyl letters up front in the drivers easy view stating my clearance height (9'6") to hopefully prevent me doing the same thing ! Good luck with the repairs... so sorry.

Reactions: surfgeezer

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
168 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I had a pristine 1997 Land Rover Defender 90 LE I begrudgingly sold several years ago. I ran into the mechanic I used recently and he proceeded to tell me the story of how the guy took the truck to a valet at a swanky place in Dallas -- you know where this is going. Valet underestimated the height of the roof rack - by roughly the height of the roof rack. The mechanic just chuckled and said the roof pretty much peeled back like a can of sardines. So, don't feel bad, it's happened to many and at least you don't have a new sunroof feature!!

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
The Penske vans that were sitting on the lot in Kansas City right after they had the decals added to the MR Transits had a decal on the inside saying not to drive under any barrier below 10 feet tall

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
321 Posts
Home Depot and Lowes sell FlexSeal which can even be put on a clean surface while under water. It’ll let you finish your trip.

I have a 148” MR and with the vent it’s 9’4”. Add the roof rack and kayaks and I’m near 11 foot. Driving from Maryland to Maine the other day on th eHutchinson and Merritt Parkways was “interesting” because the edge lanes can get down to 9’2”.
😶

I largely just stayed in the fast lane with the speeders and made it fine, but there was no way the van would’ve made it in the right lane for the trip.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was so stoked to be near the end of a long drive a few months ago that I made a last second decision to pull into a Carl's Jr. for a burger. Dinged their clearance sign which was fortunately designed to rotate, so it only left a small paint mark (buffed out) on the angled front of the roof. But that reminded me I need a way to avoid that in the future. Interesting idea to measure and decal the new lift+tires total height in my view area somewhere.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I've seen the results of handing the keys to a valet in Las Vegas in the early 2000's when tall vans were first introduced to Merikuh, and I never used valets after that (at Paris a valet proceeded to zip down the ramp to valet parking with someone's Sprinter, the 7' clearance didn't work well with the 8'6" tall van, we were walking up when we heard a crash and saw the result; this was the year before I bought my Sprinter).
There's a whole parking lot near me full of Amazon vans that all have upper body damage, from small dents in the back corners to caved in roof above the windshield. I don't know if they are awaiting repairs or if that's just regular parking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Egad!

I have a 2018 Ford Transit High Roof. On a level surface, I measured the distance from the ground to the highest point on my van - the cellular booster antenna, and added 6" to that which came to 10ft 10in. I then used a label maker to place "Minimum clearance of Xft Yin" on the steering wheel, the radio, and the rearview mirror.

I've considered one of those radar thingy's. How the GiraffeG4 Protects RVs

·
Registered
64 Posts
A lot of Amazon vans roaming around with dented foreheads.
I have a sticker with 3/4" lettering stating 10' on my rearview mirror. May change it to 11' for well being.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
168 Posts
I can tell you my worry is coming up in June when we put the Yakima box on top. I still am petrified I'm going to forget it's on coming home and drive through something too short.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
It seemed pretty simple to me, Never use parking garages or drive thru. Since I try to avoid cities like the plague the rest is easy.
For a while, cities WERE riddled with plague. Now it's the rural areas.

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
91 Posts
Egad!

I have a 2018 Ford Transit High Roof. On a level surface, I measured the distance from the ground to the highest point on my van - the cellular booster antenna, and added 6" to that which came to 10ft 10in. I then used a label maker to place "Minimum clearance of Xft Yin" on the steering wheel, the radio, and the rearview mirror.

I've considered one of those radar thingy's. How the GiraffeG4 Protects RVs
I love a Egad(y)
Are you from Phila?

·
Registered
2020 HR T250 Eco AWD
171 Posts
My old 2015 had a big dent on the roof. I was lucky and a plumbers helper popped it right out. The new 2020 with AC on top is just over 10 feet. The issue for me is more overhanging trees. The trim them high enough but in late spring or after a rain they all get lower. If I have the sun visor down it is easy to forget to look every time, every tree.

·
Registered
69 Posts
FWIW- my best friend runs an Autonation body shop and he related to me a BRAND NEW van was totaled at the dealership because someone drove into too low an opening. After discussing with Ford, there simply is no way to "cut off and replace" a roof section- while giving the same factory guarantee. The special metal treatments simply will be lost.

Ouch! That also means anyone claiming to a "repair" is basically just making it look good again, but not as strong. I'm definitely going to put a big sticker inside my van- since I have done stupider things before with short term mental lapses.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
It happened to someone else here before, Valet parking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts