Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering a 2019 HR EL to convert. The front seat option I am getting is Code 21L (Pack 10), I believe it is one up from the base seats. The option reads (for both driver & pass seats):

"Pewter cloth, 2-way manual, headrest, inboard armrest, airbag, curtain airbag front & rear, thorax airbag"

My question is whether I will run into any of the airbags being in the way of the conversion? There appear to be quite a few and I'm not even sure where they are all installed.

The 2017 I looked at a while ago had styrofoam blobs behind the driver & pass seat which I will remove if they are on my 2019. In case that matters regarding airbags.

Thanks gang.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Side curtain airbags are now standard and can't be deleted from my understanding. On cargo vans, the blobs are there to protect and control the deployment trajectory of the curtain air bags installed above the front door windows. Remove the blobs at your own peril.

Passenger wagons have giant side curtain airbags that extend the entire length of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
You should leave at least some part of the styrofoam blobs in place. There's argument over their exact purpose but I believe some part of their function is to guide the driver/passenger side curtain airbag deployment on the MRs and HRs. The blobs guide airbag deployment downward by preventing them from taking the route of least resistance and blowing out to the rear.

EDIT: What @Inkog just said faster than I could type.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts