Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 350 HD PowerStroke Diesel High Roof Dually
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had trouble finding info on how to tap into Ford Transit existing diesel tank to fuel my diesel heater. I had questions like "where exactly is the fueI port (nipple) that I slice the tip off of and connect to?" What's the part number for the Auxiliary Connection Kit? How do I drop the tank? Should this be done by a professional? I had these questions and more so I made this video showing how to tap into the tank and add the auxiliary fuel line, while only lowering the tank 4 inches. Also show how to install a Cheap Chinese heater. Included are my personal tips in this step by step tutorial. And NO you don't need a professional, if someone like me can do it, anyone can do it.
Hoping this video helps someones diesel heater install go a little smoother. Have fun on your builds!
Chillie

·
Registered
2017 350 XL HD passenger
688 Posts
I had trouble finding info on how to tap into Ford Transit existing diesel tank to fuel my diesel heater. I had questions like "where exactly is the fueI port (nipple) that I slice the tip off of and connect to?" What's the part number for the Auxiliary Connection Kit? How do I drop the tank? Should this be done by a professional? I had these questions and more so I made this video showing how to tap into the tank and add the auxiliary fuel line, while only lowering the tank 4 inches. Also show how to install a Cheap Chinese heater. Included are my personal tips in this step by step tutorial. And NO you don't need a professional, if someone like me can do it, anyone can do it.
Hoping this video helps someones diesel heater install go a little smoother. Have fun on your builds!
Chillie
Thanks for this vid. It was good to see the process in a vid on a Transit in particular.

Just an FYI, there is a really good FB group ("Chinese Diesel vehicle air heaters - Troubleshooting & Parts sales. ") which has detailed instructions for all of these different controllers. Some of them look super similar with only slight differences (e.g. the # of fan blades on the display) and thus have different priming procedures, key press functions, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this vid. It was good to see the process in a vid on a Transit in particular.

Just an FYI, there is a really good FB group ("Chinese Diesel vehicle air heaters - Troubleshooting & Parts sales. ") which has detailed instructions for all of these different controllers. Some of them look super similar with only slight differences (e.g. the # of fan blades on the display) and thus have different priming procedures, key press functions, etc.
Thanks for watching the video. I looked through the Facebook group for suggestions ( I have the 3 blades on display)
and the OK and down button at the same time didn't work or hitting the settings button repeatedly. It seems the controller only turns on and can adjust the heat up or down. So I don't recommend that one. I would get one with a newer model controller if I had to do it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
Just jumping on this thread is it seems applicable.

I have bought a webasto ford transit aux fuel sender kit and installed it on the side of the road. The included diagram specified the very specific cut line for the aux fuel port nipple - however my reading/comprehension was not an all time high... I thought there was a reasonably large tolerance on the cut and cut it too short (by about 5mm), pushed the elbow connector on (it clicked and then dropped below the clip, and I thought that was a good thing), hooked it all up and re-mounted the fuel tank. Funnily enough it didn't work (was getting plenty of air and not much diesel).

So, just 'coz I love it - I dropped the tank again and tried to re-do it, this time I just pushed the connector down til it clicked the first time. Reassembled fuel tank and connected heater and voila! It was working and it was amazing. For 3 days in fact until I took the van on a two day mission up and down steep gravel roads, where I guess the vibration un-seated the right-angle connector. Total bummer.

Looks like 3rd time is going to have to be the charm but.... what do I do about an over-cut aux fuel nipple..!? Am wondering if some JB weld and some kind of plastic tube could work but it all seems a little sketchy in my imagination...

Are there any brilliant suggestions out here in the hive mind?

Thanks heaps guys, here's hoping!

Jordan (New Zealand)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fluid Gas Nut Machine Automotive wheel system

Hi Jordan!
You said "over-cut aux fuel nipple". I'm assuming it's this part here in the pic.
I cut just the tip off of the top, right at the line. And when I put the clip on it clicked twice. Once when the clip went all the way down and around the bottom ring on the nipple. Then I squeezed the locking blue clip in place for the second click. It looks like it should still work if the ring at the bottom of the nipple is still on. If that's cut off, you may need to try JB weld to hold the clip permanently in place. Or try to order a whole new circle plastic piece for this area from Ford if they sell it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Light Gas Plastic bottle Electric blue Font
T
This is the blue clip that I pushed in to lock it in place around the ring at the bottom of the nipple. Once this is pushed in, it is very secure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts