Ford Transit USA Forum banner

How to best use Fordpass Connect w/ base 4” head unit

161 2
I’m considering purchase of a 2020 transit that has the base 4 inch radio system without any Sync3, but it does have in the window sticker Fordpass connect 4g wifi. This vehicle will be used as a people and bike hauler for cross country road trips.

The window sticker doesn’t mention anything about remote start but I’ve read some things where the Fordpass connect could enable remote start through a phone. Can anyone verify this?

Could I not mount a small iPad or tablet upfront to provide a more sophisticated navigation and infotainment console?

Is there a recommended speaker upgrade? Seems like I just have a couple front speakers. Could I get a couple of portable Sonos Roam speakers and link them all together with the Wi-Fi net work?

Is there a cell booster antenna that increases the Wi-Fi reception I should consider?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
I’m considering purchase of a 2020 transit that has the base 4 inch radio system without any Sync3, but it does have in the window sticker Fordpass connect 4g wifi. This vehicle will be used as a people and bike hauler for cross country road trips.

The window sticker doesn’t mention anything about remote start but I’ve read some things where the Fordpass connect could enable remote start through a phone. Can anyone verify this?

Could I not mount a small iPad or tablet upfront to provide a more sophisticated navigation and infotainment console?

Is there a recommended speaker upgrade? Seems like I just have a couple front speakers. Could I get a couple of portable Sonos Roam speakers and link them all together with the Wi-Fi net work?

Is there a cell booster antenna that increases the Wi-Fi reception I should consider?
Howdy! I have a 2020 Transit with the base 4" head unit and I can confirm that remote start (as well as tire pressure and oil life monitoring) does work through the Fordpass app on a smart phone.

· Registered
674 Posts
I have that system and can remote start with Alexa and Fordpass so I guess I could use a phone too. I just don't do phones anymore;). BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE CELL SERVICE.

I have had limited success pairing Bluetooth devices. My phone pairs but my GPS doesn't.

The stereo sound is ok, not great but I travel with a service dog so I never crank it up.

You could mount a tablet if you wanted to but it's hard to find a good spot. I have one I can use on a Ram mount on the ceiling by the dome light.

Consider a dashcam with a screen mounted to the mirror and a wired camera in the back. The 4" screen from the factory sucks as a backup screen.

Without a side window in the slider, you can get yourself in some spots where you can't see to make a turn.

I wish it had a "AUX IN". I just use flash-drives with MP3's loaded on them.

OH!!! The cargo lights suck! If you can figure out their operation you win a prize from Ford. I rewired mine and used my own switches. They're way to bright for camping so I use LED strips for my main lighting and the factory lights only for cleaning. You could perform surgery with the factory lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts