Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The top of the window opening in the door of my Weathergard bulkhead is too low for the rear view mirror. So I'm considering enlarging the opening at the top and replacing the perforated metal panel with a larger panel of clear polycarbonate. Granted, the mirror view through the back door windows isn't great, but it beats the blank screen of my glitched rear view camera monitor. :rolleyes:

What would be an appropriate safety thickness for the clear panel?

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
646 Posts
Unless you need to see into the cargo area, I highly recommend a rear view mirror camera. You get a very wide view of traffic in the rear, much wider than any rear view mirror, and it records front and rear as well. I got mine for less than $100, and it comes with a cable that easily reaches the rear of a 148 non extended. Took less than an hour to install as well.

VanTop H610 Mirror Dash Cam 2.5K HD

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Unless you need to see into the cargo area, I highly recommend a rear view mirror camera.
💯 My rear view camera system died. 😢

When the cam system conks out, even the limited view through the rear door windows is better than no rear view at all. The <strike>plexiglass</strike> polycarbonate window is backup that’s safer than driving with the partition door tied open. I don’t plan to rely on it long term.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My local plastics supplier advised 1/4" polycarbonate would be sufficient for the opening involved, about 14" x 22".

Not Plexiglas, a trade name that's become generic for clear plastic, but which is acrylic, not the stronger and more impact resistant polycarbonate used for safety shielding.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Finished the project. Yeah, the view is limited, but it’s better than none at all when the tear view cam monitor punks out. The top of the original opening in the door was too low - you can see where I cut out about 4” to open the mirror sight line.

I oversized the holes in the plastic to allow for thermal expansion and contraction +/- 50C from ambient 25C at 0.065 mm per meter per degree. 1/4” holes for #10 machine screws, with nylon washer under the nut for glide.

BTW, the generic trade name for polycarbonate is Lexan.

Hood Car Automotive design Automotive lighting Grille

Automotive exterior Grille Wall Bumper Wood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts