Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just turned 40k miles on my 2017 Transit - medium, medium with 3.7 engine. Not the slightest hiccup, vibration or problem aside from one nut that loosened on the sliding door. Seems like a solid vehicle so far. What are some of the higher mileage Transits out there? I usually keep my work vehicles for about 10 years/250k miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Geez, I'd sure hope you wouldn't have any problems with only 40k miles! ANY car made these days should go at least 100k without any major problems. Unless driven hard and unmaintained.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm at 60,130.
Hankooks have another 10k left in them.
Torque converter started to fail at about 56k (replaced under warranty).
Guibo replaced at 45k under recall.
Air filter falling apart and sending paper into engine discovered around 10k (replaced and installed TURD).
Rear pads and rotors replaced at 45k (but had at least another 10k left in them).
No other issues. Oil change every 10k/6 months.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Should have no problems at 40k? Really? My last super duty 250 had about five sets of rotors by that time, power window wouldn't work in cold weather, suspension squeaked terribly from day one, four wheel drive worked on and off and it needed a new engine by 57k miles. So I disagree.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Hi guys, I just turned 40k miles on my 2017 Transit - medium, medium with 3.7 engine. Not the slightest hiccup, vibration or problem aside from one nut that loosened on the sliding door. Seems like a solid vehicle so far. What are some of the higher mileage Transits out there? I usually keep my work vehicles for about 10 years/250k miles. Thanks!
The forum search box will show you that there are forum members with over 200,000 miles on the Ecoboost Transits. If I remember right the turbo's need replacing at about 170,000 miles. ($450 dollars each and big bucks for labor)

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Should have no problems at 40k? Really? My last super duty 250 had about five sets of rotors by that time, power window wouldn't work in cold weather, suspension squeaked terribly from day one, four wheel drive worked on and off and it needed a new engine by 57k miles. So I disagree.
That's right, I forgot about all the problems my Dad and Brother have had with their new-every-2-years F250 4x4s (logging company trucks). One of my Dad's was in the shop more time than at home the first 6 months. My Brother's 2018 seems to be doing well so far. btw: they always get the diesel, "just in case" they need to use non PUC fuel meant for the heavy equipment...

·
Registered
239 Posts
When researching vans, I met a Transit fleet manager who shared the following intel. He said the 3.7 was the least trouble in his fleet and, on average, they lasted 300k miles. He also praised the EcoBoost but said a turbo replacement at 160k miles was common. He also said if I planned on towing anything significant, go with the EcoBoost but avoid the diesel.

Based on my two long conversations with him, I purchased the 3.7. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
4,471 Posts
Geez, I'd sure hope you wouldn't have any problems with only 40k miles! ANY car made these days should go at least 100k without any major problems. Unless driven hard and unmaintained.
First, ymmv, which is a caveat for all of our experiences. :|

Second, Surly Bill who is being uncharacteristically unsurly (did we break him?) is spot on for modern vehicles which mostly are trouble free, yet there are always anomolies.

Thirdly, sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your Super Duty - that is not the experience of most others I am aware of. I spent quite a few years very active in the Ford Truck enthusiasts Forum and read mostly of owners thrilled with their trucks. I've had multiple Ford trucks continuously since 1985 and never had your issues. three Super duties never needed brakes, the last one I sold with original 14 year old brakes at 82,000 miles last year. The new owner just replaced them out of prudence and the dealer said they were still in fine shape, turned the rotors which still didn't really need it. That truck also never saw the shop in all those years other than minimal maintenance. 0:)

PS: 5 sets of rotors in 40k miles on any vehicle, much less a Super Duty, indicates either severe abuse or severely inept service technicians.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When researching vans, I met a Transit fleet manager who shared the following intel. He said the 3.7 was the least trouble in his fleet and, on average, they lasted 300k miles. He also praised the EcoBoost but said a turbo replacement at 160k miles was common. He also said if I planned on towing anything significant, go with the EcoBoost but avoid the diesel.

Based on my two long conversations with him, I purchased the 3.7. YMMV
This is pretty much what my mechanic told me as well. I planned on getting the turbo originally but my mechanic said flat out - get the 3.7. Still I was hesitant until I took the 3.7 for a test drive. I hit the gas, my son and I looked at each other and we said SOLD! This thing has about 80 hp more than our Chevy van with the 4.3 and we've driven that thing for 260k miles fully loaded and sometimes pulling a 17' construction trailer. So for us 275 HP does the trick.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand comments about the 3.7 not being able to greatly exceed the speed limit, even when towing. Sure, compared to the twin turbo it isn't as fast off the line, but it's not a dragster, it's a van. Getting to the next red light as fast as possible, or saving tenths of seconds getting to 65mph (or 55 when towing) on the highway aren't really of interest to me. I seem to get where I'm going just as fast as vehicles with 2-3x the HP.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
All vehicles sold in the USA meet the minimum acceleration tests. Along with crash tests this is one of the hurdles to clear to be able to sell a vehicle in the USA, which is why there are so few City Cars like Japanese Kei cars.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
265 Posts
So you're trying to tell me that because there is some arbitrary min acceleration test that I don't know my own locale? give me a break lol.

Unless you fancy waiting for long periods of time and people honking at you at every onramp, you need the extra power around here, not a want or nice to have. Driven plenty of underpowered/loaded up vehicles in the scenario and it is downright unsafe to be underpowered.

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
318 Posts
HALF OFF TOPIC:Boston (Connecticut included) drivers are wack, their highway driving skills consist of braking when the road has a bend/curve on a wide open highway with no trouble in site. You'll see, ooohhh the road has a bend..Brake Martha Brake....... Anyway I was working in Boston over the holiday.......... My 3.7 does just find loaded or not. Hauled 1200 lbs of door panels plus my regular tool/work stuff. Rode like a caddy & 16 mpg. 65-75 mph 6 hour trip. $110 gas round trip. Road Trippin :) Rhode Island your next - see ya later in the week. Happy with my ride!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.