Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I’m curious if anyone is experiencing the same fluctuations in coolant temps as me. I’m also interested in any opinions on what the max safe coolant temperature should be.
I have a 2016 ecoboost with 134k miles. I installed an ultra gauge to get a better idea of what’s happening. I track my coolant temperature and during normal stop and go driving it usually fluctuates between 190 and 210. I got concerned the other day because I was stopped and I slowly watched it climb to 226. It was idling normal and only 70 degrees out. Once I started driving again it went back to the range I was used to. Should I be concerned?
Thank you in advance for any help

·
Registered
2022 T150 Cargo AWD SWB LR (Service Van w/ Adrian Steel Upfit)
31 Posts
My experience with other vehicles where I can see the actual temperature tells me those are normal values.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi everyone,
I’m curious if anyone is experiencing the same fluctuations in coolant temps as me. I’m also interested in any opinions on what the max safe coolant temperature should be.
I have a 2016 ecoboost with 134k miles. I installed an ultra gauge to get a better idea of what’s happening. I track my coolant temperature and during normal stop and go driving it usually fluctuates between 190 and 210. I got concerned the other day because I was stopped and I slowly watched it climb to 226. It was idling normal and only 70 degrees out. Once I started driving again it went back to the range I was used to. Should I be concerned?
Thank you in advance for any help
I've watched mine fluctuate from 185 to 226F. The high end is usually climbing hills at freeway speeds but I did have high temps climbing a road to Martis Valley LO earlier this summer. I'm concerned about prolonged heat saturation of the exhaust manifold that I attribute to the exhaust bolt failure, that has been reported by many Eco rigs. I usually down shift into 5th and shutoff the AC if I'm pulling hills in the summer.
I would also verify if your electric fans are operating correctly. This video may help verify fuses and relays.

·
Registered
442 Posts
After a trip to L.A. in 106 degree temp my coolant temp got up to 235. I immediately turned off the a/c. When I had my oil change I questioned the service manager at the dealership I go to. He said that eco boost engines run hotter than normal and to expect the variations based on speed and load.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. I can understand the temp going up under a load but I’m not sure what would make it go so high just idling. I believe my fan works because I haven’t over heated. Is there a secondary fan that kicks on sometimes as well? Could old coolant be an issue? I don’t know if it was ever changed by the previous owner. It’s the orange and I would think if they changed it that they would have went to the yellow.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for all of the feedback. I can understand the temp going up under a load but I’m not sure what would make it go so high just idling. I believe my fan works because I haven’t over heated. Is there a secondary fan that kicks on sometimes as well? Could old coolant be an issue? I don’t know if it was ever changed by the previous owner. It’s the orange and I would think if they changed it that they would have went to the yellow.
lack of air flow and low rpm? I am not a mechanic but I have noticed temps rising when sitting in freeway traffic stopped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts