Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has experience of the 10 Way Power Heated Seats and the Cloth 4-Way seats? As none of my local dealers had any demo units with either option, I have yet to try either and curious as to use and utility. My biggest desire would be height adjustability (which I think you get with the 4-way).

I will be installing Scopeema swivels, and I am guessing thats going to be more involved with the Power Seats (not a deal breaker, but a consideration).

Any comments welcome!

OKT.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had my van for 4 days, so take it for what it's worth:

The leather is your standard automotive leather... on the hard/slippery side as you would expect for a work/family car. I have messy kids and clean up on these is pretty easy... damp cloth, wipe and forget. About the same quality as my Honda, but not perforated like my truck (this is a good thing for mess clean up, but makes them feel hotter/harder).

The adjustability of the front seats is good, comparable to my previous F-150 and my current Honda Pilot Touring Elite. The issue with the seats, cloth or otherwise, is they are short, meaning the distance of the seat from your back to thigh support cut off is about 1.5" shorter than a standard car. That is the same whether cloth or power or manual. It is highly annoying for taller drivers.

The height adjustability is good on the seat... about 1.5" up/down. It definitely favors a pitched forward driving position. I intend to add some shims/washers under the front seat mounts to angle the entire seat at a high pitch (front higher than the back) as to address the lack of thigh support.

·
Registered
493 Posts
We love ours. I've got short legs so the thigh support is a non issue for me. My wife is 6' and she has never had issues with support but she never complains about anything anyway. The power adjustment is super awesome to have. The older I get the more I need just little tweaks in the seat especially on long hauls.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
564 Posts
Wondering if anyone has experience of the 10 Way Power Heated Seats and the Cloth 4-Way seats? As none of my local dealers had any demo units with either option, I have yet to try either and curious as to use and utility. My biggest desire would be height adjustability (which I think you get with the 4-way).

I will be installing Scopeema swivels, and I am guessing thats going to be more involved with the Power Seats (not a deal breaker, but a consideration).
Didn't consider for too long... gotta love heated seats in the cold.

The seats are fine. Not fantastic. No "memory" as I'd expect them to have. On the plus side, the seat base tilt is decent. They're not as good as the ones in our 2013 Explorer in any way, unfortunately. All the seats are more truck-driver position - way they built the cockpit, I'd say. I expected it to be more car-like; but it's really not that different than the Sprinter we had - a bit less roomy, though. Power seats are similar in comfort to the non-powered Sprinter we had - maybe a bit better.

In spite of my complaining about them, I'd buy them again just to get the heat. And they are really very little trouble to fit for the swivels - just a bit of plastic cutting and some washer-spacing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the leather seats in our 8 passenger van. The premium ($1600+) did seem high, but it did include leather on all the seats (though half are sitting in the garage).

They have been comfortable for 600mi+ days. Not sure on quality ... the bottom cushion leather in both front seats was loose/saggy looking the day I picked the van up, and I've got visions of it becoming super stretched out and being a bowl (we have a variety of Japanese cars, and none of stretched even after 16+ years).

Only complaints are the bottom is flat/no side bolsters, and I slide around a lot left and right when going around corners (too fast?).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats interesting perspective on the 'flat' part. They are described as 'bucket seats' but from the pictures I have seen they dont seem very bucket like.

Has anyone on the thread got the cloth seats and able to comment on those?

Thx.

I have the leather seats in our 8 passenger van. The premium ($1600+) did seem high, but it did include leather on all the seats (though half are sitting in the garage).

They have been comfortable for 600mi+ days. Not sure on quality ... the bottom cushion leather in both front seats was loose/saggy looking the day I picked the van up, and I've got visions of it becoming super stretched out and being a bowl (we have a variety of Japanese cars, and none of stretched even after 16+ years).

Only complaints are the bottom is flat/no side bolsters, and I slide around a lot left and right when going around corners (too fast?).

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Thats interesting perspective on the 'flat' part. They are described as 'bucket seats' but from the pictures I have seen they dont seem very bucket like.

Has anyone on the thread got the cloth seats and able to comment on those?

Thx.
You might try to look up the part numbers for the cushions that are used in the10 way cloth and leather seats to see if they are different. (I suspect they may be the same). Personally , I find cloth is more comfortable and wears better than (cheap) leather.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You might try to look up the part numbers for the cushions that are used in the10 way cloth and leather seats to see if they are different. (I suspect they may be the same). Personally , I find cloth is more comfortable and wears better than (cheap) leather.
Comfort is a personal thing I guess... totally disagree on the wear part. No modern fabric can withstand the juice/milk/pee/vomit that inevitably ends up on your seats at some point when you have small children. I will never go back to fabric due to it's porosity... no matter how well the fabric itself can resist stains, once a liquid has permeated it and gotten to the foam, the stink is permanent. That's why every used vehicle with fabric smells like the last owner's bad habits.

·
Registered
778 Posts
20,000 miles in and I personally wouldn't consider a Transit without the leather seats. They don't look or feel much at first but you can sit in them for 8hrs or more at a time day, after day, after day.

The seats in my AMG look stunning, but for anything more than 4hrs, I'd swap them for my Transit seats in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
132 Posts
Leather here too. I've never known any different though so I may not be a good judge comparing against cloth. That being said, I'd take the seats in my AMG over the Transit, but I digress.

·
Registered
2020 T150 Passenger Low Roof 130 AWD
124 Posts
The leather seats are slippery. I'm looking for covers to stop sliding around as much. But I dislike stains on fabric seats so I always prefer leather. Aftermarket leatherette might be the ticket. Assuming they are available. The 10 way is quite nice and worth it IMO.

·
Registered
2021 AWD 148" HR 3.5L EcoBoost Avalanche Grey
91 Posts
Not about the leather specifically but I planned on installing swivels so I wanted to minimize OEM complexity in the seat bases. You can't order the OEM swivels with the 10 way power heated seats, so that concerned me. People have successfully installed aftermarket swivels on them though. For me, heated seats are important but I plan on installing my own aftermarket so i can control wiring harness location etc with the swivels.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
658 Posts
We have 10-way leather seats. It will wear out in a few years rubbing against jeans. I prefer leatherette the most.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
We have 10-way leather seats. It will wear out in a few years rubbing against jeans. I prefer leatherette the most.
Most automotive leather is so heavily treated, it may as well be vinyl (I mean leatherette :LOL:) which as you said, some of which has the additional advantage superior durability. "These days" leather like feel of some vinyl is uncanny. I'd bet a lot of people that have vinyl in some their fancy German cars may not even realize it is not leather. Of course nothing beats the durability of the old MB-Tex . I wonder if the stuff Mercedes is using theses days as durable? I guess some of the young folks may know in 50 years.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
658 Posts
Here are my observations:
Jeep TJ Cloth seat 21 years old - like new.
Mini Cooper leatherette 11 years old - like new
BMW Leather 12 yrs old - starting wear out!!! Granted I don't use any leather conditioner. I hate it when I wear my short-short in the Summer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with other posters that the "leather" fabric is better but not great. The electric position adjustment is a big plus for us. It has a good range of adjustments (not sure how it compares to manual seats) and allows for on-the-fly changes. I installed an aftermarket swivel on the passenger seat from SWIVELSRUS and it works great. Installation was no problem with the electric seats. The seat needs to be positioned correctly to swivel and the electric buttons make this a bit easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts