Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the rear wheels on my 2020 AWD T350 to paint them black - I was surprised to see the lug nuts were not “coned” or beveled. How do these center the rim on the wheel studs and center the wheel on the hub? I’ve never seen this before....

C96E4F91-9987-4C36-85D7-2E88BD6BE6E2.jpeg

·
Registered
83 Posts
All AWD Transits have six lug "hubcentric" wheels, much like the 350 Dually Transit and 3500 Sprinter dually models. The center hub centers the wheel so the lug nuts have a flat surface in contact with wheels.

From Wikipedia: "Hubcentric wheels take the stress off the lug nuts, reducing the job of the lug nuts to center the wheel to the car."
Source: Wheel sizing - Wikipedia

. . . and this article from Discount Tire:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All AWD Transits have six lug "hubcentric" wheels, much like the 350 Dually Transit and 3500 Sprinter dually models. The center hub centers the wheel so the lug nuts have a flat surface in contact with wheels.

From Wikipedia: "Hubcentric wheels take the stress off the lug nuts, reducing the job of the lug nuts to center the wheel to the car."
Source: Wheel sizing - Wikipedia

. . . and this article from Discount Tire:
Thanks so much GapRunr and Boxster1971. I get it now and that makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,997 Posts
Thanks so much GapRunr and Boxster1971. I get it now and that makes perfect sense now that I think about it.
As an aside, thats why it is important when buying aftermarket wheels that if the hub bore is larger than the hub center, you have to use the proper size hub centric rings. There have been people on here who have had wheel balance issues that came down to the installer not using hub centric rings when required, causing the wheel to move around a little and damage some lug nuts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As an aside, thats why it is important when buying aftermarket wheels that if the hub bore is larger than the hub center, you have to use the proper size hub centric rings. There have been people on here who have had wheel balance issues that came down to the installer not using hub centric rings when required, causing the wheel to move around a little and damage some lug nuts.
Also, if you are in a rust prone area you might want to consider a film of anti sieze or grease were the ring meets the hub. Wheels siezed onto hubs aren't fun.

Reactions: njvagabond
1 - 7 of 7 Posts