Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I am based on the diagram. Should it be less? The other connection points are all 80amp
4 AWG is good for 85 amps (depends on the tables, that might be in conduit). The fuse, not the wiring, should be the weakest link.

...and the diagram you linked to calls for 4/0 AWG, which is entirely different than straight 4.

4/0 has around 5x the cross-section of copper. It's HUGE wire.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That’s good to know, I’ll reduce the fuse, or should I increase the wire?
Your inverter is what puts the demand on the system, so everything should be sized based on that. Or at least based on your combined power usage (inverter + whatever DC loads).

It will never hurt (except your wallet) to use too thick of cables. The fuse should be sized to ensure nothing else in the systems acts like a fuse, wiring or devices, and starts a fire.

The diagram shows a 2400W inverter and 4x100Ah batteries that might be able to provide more or less than 400A continuous. YOUR battery in the pic (looks like it has an orange cap, and only one pair of wires coming out of it) very likely can't accommodate 400A. So to start I'd size your fuse based on the lesser of the amps your battery can provide or the gauge of the wire you used. Ideally your loads can't overwhelm the fuse, otherwise get smaller loads, or bigger batteries and wires and size the fuse appropriately.

You don't want to burn your van down. It might be worth seeing if you could get an hour or two of one-on-one consulting time with someone who does it for a living (@harryn ?) rather than based on forum posts. If your van were a house, wiring like this would require a permit and an inspection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts