Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
No worries; happy you were able to snag two. I'm trying to figure out solar layout based on the Houghton and a fan. Just made a post on that topic in case you also have an extended length cargo and are considering solar. Obviously I won't try to use the solar for the AC. Undecided about a generator; thinking about a 3000W portable. Anyway, would love to hear how it goes installing the Houghton.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Imo for a 13,500 btu air conditioner you would want around a 7000 watt generator , the reason being is
with a 7000 watt generator you'd be able to run the AC with the generator idling which would mean it would run super quiet and also run at lower rpms which is important , listening to a low rpm engine is very pleasant compared to a loud fast sound , slow and quiet really sets the mood , i've actually have had people nap behind my van laying in the grass during lunch break it sounded so pleasant .
Also important to have absolutely no rattles , one loose screw can cause a very annoying rattle , goop up all bolts and use lock washers to prevent rattles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No worries; happy you were able to snag two. I'm trying to figure out solar layout based on the Houghton and a fan. Just made a post on that topic in case you also have an extended length cargo and are considering solar. Obviously I won't try to use the solar for the AC. Undecided about a generator; thinking about a 3000W portable. Anyway, would love to hear how it goes installing the Houghton.
Not doing solar. Just don’t see a need for it. I have dual hd alternators if I want a house battery. (Ambulance package). And a generator. Only need so much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Imo for a 13,500 btu air conditioner you would want around a 7000 watt generator , the reason being is
with a 7000 watt generator you'd be able to run the AC with the generator idling which would mean it would run super quiet and also run at lower rpms which is important , listening to a low rpm engine is very pleasant compared to a loud fast sound , slow and quiet really sets the mood , i've actually have had people nap behind my van laying in the grass during lunch break it sounded so pleasant .
Also important to have absolutely no rattles , one loose screw can cause a very annoying rattle , goop up all bolts and use lock washers to prevent rattles.
7000 watt won’t fit under the van. 4000w is about as big as I can go. And I’m not doing a portable one. I want to be able to pull up to a truck stop. Start the generator and keep the dogs cool while I go for lunch.

each of these ac is 1700 watt starting (they have a soft start) and about 1400 watts running.
so at 4000 watts I’m only running about 35% load. We will see how it translates to real life but looks good on paper.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
7000 watt won’t fit under the van. 4000w is about as big as I can go. And I’m not doing a portable one. I want to be able to pull up to a truck stop. Start the generator and keep the dogs cool while I go for lunch.

each of these ac is 1700 watt starting (they have a soft start) and about 1400 watts running.
so at 4000 watts I’m only running about 35% load. We will see how it translates to real life but looks good on paper.
Yep , just something to keep in mind if the sound is ever bothering you , another thing to keep in mind is that you could always get a smaller AC to get your 4000 watt Onan to run at 1/4 load if needed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep , just something to keep in mind if the sound is ever bothering you , another thing to keep in mind is that you could always get a smaller AC to get your 4000 watt Onan to run at 1/4 load if needed.
Tailpipe and muffler being added to the generator as well...it helps a bit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installed 3400 on top of the van last weekend. I rented a material lift from home depot , and with the help of my son was able to ease it in place. The day before I installed the roof adapter from DIYvan.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hein's adapter worked well, it provides a nice flat platform to sit on. Overall, I am impressed with the unit. My previous rig was a sportsmobile and it had a Starcool III air conditioner, so I can only compare to that. In that comparison it wasn't close, but I have no numbers for that. I took some measurements using phone app, on high it was 65-67 right under unit, 60-61 4 feet in front or back of unit on the high fan setting. On low it was 59-61 under uni and 54-55 4 feet away. The van is currently not insulated, or soundproofed in any way. So far I am happy with unit and the adapter, but really have no real usage data.
-greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also joined the Houghton club. I was scheduling an install with Advanced RV but in the end they said they couldn't do a new install, just a swap out. Their production line was too busy at this time to make the cutout. They did offer to ship a unit for a self install but decided against it. Ended up ordering a RecPro.

Anyway, I did find there were a few differences between the Advanced RV unit vs. the RecPro unit:

1. Advanced RV warranty - 2 years, RecPro - 1 year.
2. The Advanced RV unit does not include the heat pump feature but they claim a slightly higher efficiency due to that.
3. Huge price difference - ARV $2829 installed ($2137+$250 shipping for self install). RecPro - $1299.95 (self install only)

I still was going with the Advanced RV unit in spite of the price difference due the warranty coverage and install expertise. They said if there were any problems at all, they would take care of it. RecPro says they only handle manufacturer defects and I'm not sure how that would go. However, I figured if anything went drastically wrong, I could buy 2 AC units and still break even. I was also considering the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ but they don't seem to be available anywhere.

Plan on mounting it in the rear bay using Hein's adapter.

Scalf77, did you also use Hein's interior framing strips or wood?

First job to unpack the 3400 and get measurements to Hein so we can make a smaller roof adapter.
Kshupenia, I thought Hein already had a Houghton adapter. When you say "smaller", what are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also joined the Houghton club. I was scheduling an install with Advanced RV but in the end they said they couldn't do a new install, just a swap out. Their production line was too busy at this time to make the cutout. They did offer to ship a unit for a self install but decided against it. Ended up ordering a RecPro.

Anyway, I did find there were a few differences between the Advanced RV unit vs. the RecPro unit:

2. The Advanced RV unit does not include the heat pump feature but they claim a slightly higher efficiency due to that.
3. Huge price difference - ARV $2829 installed ($2137+$250 shipping for self install). RecPro - $1299.95 (self install only)

I still was going with the Advanced RV unit in spite of the price difference due the warranty coverage and install expertise. They said if there were any problems at all, they would take care of it. RecPro says they only handle manufacturer defects and I'm not sure how that would go. However, I figured if anything went drastically wrong, I could buy 2 AC units and still break even. I was also considering the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ but they don't seem to be available anywhere.

Kshupenia, I thought Hein already had a Houghton adapter. When you say "smaller", what are you trying to accomplish?
talked to Hein last week and he wanted tighter measurements to see if they could make the adapter smaller. So my wife and I put the unit on the tailgate of our truck with a tape measure and sent him a dozen photos so he can look to see if anything can be done.
The current one he has is a beast so even an inch here and there would help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
talked to Hein last week and he wanted tighter measurements to see if they could make the adapter smaller. So my wife and I put the unit on the tailgate of our truck with a tape measure and sent him a dozen photos so he can look to see if anything can be done.
The manual I have for the 3400 I received says manufactures warranty is 2 years. So recpro may offer a year but you probably could get parts from the manufacturer for the 2nd year.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Should also mention. Unlike the pictures on the website. The units don’t say recpro on the side of them.
it actually says. “Houghton 3400”

·
Registered
84 Posts
That’s sounds good. When mine comes in, I can provide a second set of measurements just to verify against any manufacturing variances or unintentional measurement errors (measure twice, cut once...).

·
Registered
84 Posts
The manual I have for the 3400 I received says manufactures warranty is 2 years. So recpro may offer a year but you probably could get parts from the manufacturer for the 2nd year.

Should also mention. Unlike the pictures on the website. The units don’t say recpro on the side of them. It actually says. “Houghton 3400”
It doesn’t anywhere say RecPro? I thought these were rebranded units like Advanced RV is doing. That’s got me a little more concerned that these could be grey market items with no warranty at all.

Maybe we could get service under Houghton’s 2 year warranty. But the problem I see is that Houghton (Australian company) got bought out by a Chinese company a while ago and I have found it impossible to find any contact information. Their website is an old placeholder (“Coming Soon”) with no phone number or email or any other info. If something breaks under the Houghton 2 year warranty, I don’t know how to get parts or any tech support. Even if you could get someone, it likely will take a lot of time to get a part from China. With Advanced RV, I was confident they would take care of it whatever the issue. With RecPro’s 1 year warranty, it may be limited to Doesn’t Work - Replace The Unit. I kind of doubt RecPro has any parts - even to replace a broken remote. I’m going to be hooking it up to a power supply and letting it run awhile through all it’s modes before install.

I just sent an email to RecPro asking to clarify the warranty issue. I would like to get it in writing. I post the info, if and when, I get a response.

·
Registered
84 Posts
And just like that I got a response from RecPro:

"One year warranty"

They didn't answer the question who is responsible but since they said 1 year, that seems to be RecPro, not Houghton.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Can that model operate as:
  • Air conditioner
  • heat pump (for heating)
  • Exhaust fan (so no max fan required? )
Thanks

Harry

21 - 40 of 58 Posts