Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here installed a Houghton 3400 Air conditioner / Heat Pump in their van?

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Great top of the line AC that is used by AdvancedRV. We make adapters for it.

All the best,
Hein at DIYvan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know you make adapters for it. This unit is about 1/2 the cost of the Advanced unit and more in line of what I think it should be. Have you heard of Recpro?
Thanks
Bobby
RecPro®
RV Air Conditioner Low Profile 13.5K Quiet AC with Heat Pump, Remote, Non-Ducted

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

All the best,
Hein at DIYvan
Have you heard of Recpro? They are the only Co. other than Advanced that I can find that has Houghton.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 3400 is around $1200

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, that’s interesting. I’ve been looking at the AdvancedRV/Houghton and thought they had an exclusive deal for the US. Now a little more research to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting indeed. Does anyone know if the advertised $2794 on ARV (upfittersresource.com) includes labor to swap it out? The page says "Price is based on replacing an existing unit. Please have a photo of your roof top available" and also "Please note that a 30% non-refundable deposit is required to schedule your installation date." That makes it sound to me that they do the swap and keep your old unit for the advertised price. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Pretty sure that was the installed price. I think at first they used to sell self-install units but stopped early on. I tried to contact them in March about that but they had shut down the shop for the virus stuff and never got an answer. They’ve reopened but now I won’t get the van until the end of summer so it’s not as pressing right now.

After watching the Humble Road install on a Sprinter, I am still considering having them install it. With a 99 pound unit and the scaffolding required, it just maybe easier for me in time and money to just have them do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last time I replaced the Dometic HP units on my Class A I used the Duct lift rented from Home Depot. I works great for doing this job. You just have to make a bridal sling with small chain and S hooks. Takes 2 people one on the ground lowering the unit and one up top centering the unit as its lowered. I used a piece of pipe inserted into one of the fork rails to make a boom extension, which probably wouldn't be needed on the van.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For scaffolding I'll do this or just rent scaffolding thats adjustable in 2 inch increments, haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Houghton 3400 Air conditioner / Heat Pump may be quiet over other brands, but still not so efficient as a DC mini split. If your plan is to use a generator then i guess efficiency is not a huge issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

All the best,
Hein at DIYvan
The Houghton 3400 Air conditioner / Heat Pump may be quiet over other brands, but still not so efficient as a DC mini split. If your plan is to use a generator then i guess efficiency is not a huge issue.
I like the idea of a mini split, if only one was available with a re-positioned compressor, wherein the condenser / compressor unit could be laid on its side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Using Cruise and Comfort VES12L you can do what you posted with the compressor and condessor under the van and the evaporator in the van located above the back doors. This leaves room on the roof for Solar PV without shading.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that’s interesting. I’ve been looking at the AdvancedRV/Houghton and thought they had an exclusive deal for the US. Now a little more research to do. Thanks.
Rocland,
Did your research turn up anything interesting?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seriously - as in almost ready to pull the trigger on this unit

Love that it has the soft - start already built in as I'm trying to run 2 AC units (the van, and the RV Trailer I tow) from a undercarriage generator on the Van (Onan QC 4000)

A little pricey, but looks like it's worth it.

Kevin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am keeping the factory headliner so I'm waiting on the thick roof kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Excellent! Let us know how it goes. I am getting ready to pull the trigger too. Apparently they don't have any more of the black units in stock (and none on order), but I think white will be ok. My van is silver; thinking about painting or plasti-coating to match.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Excellent! Let us know how it goes. I am getting ready to pull the trigger too. Apparently they don't have any more of the black units in stock (and none on order), but I think white will be ok. My van is silver; thinking about painting or plasti-coating to match.
I think I might have taken their last two then. Ordered last Friday. Fed ex arranging for liftgate delivery tomorrow. Pairing the Van AC and Trailer AC with a QC4000 watt Onan generator mounted underneath the van.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts