Ford Transit USA Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Do you have links for these fasteners?
It's weird, Amazon sellers are getting to be pretty fly-by-night. I bought the insulation hangers/pins about 7 or 8 months ago — two varieties — and neither are available on Amazon any longer. Searching Amazon this morning and only non-adhesive ones came up — and in quantities of 1000.

So Google searched and found these.

Otherwise, search for self-adhesive insulation hangers or pins and you'll find other places selling them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Alert: adhesive fail.

Walked inside the van to find that two runs of the insulation I had just installed the previous day had fallen down. The rest seemed secure enough.

The self-adhesive backing on the longer of the insulation hangers I had purchased just didn't seem to be too reliable.

I ended up scraping the foam-backed adhesive off the insulation hangers with a chisel and instead went with two strips of 3M VHB™ tape. With the insulation hangers reinstalled and the foam re-hung, it seems to be holding.

On another note, I switched tools to the sewing machine recently to try and make some custom cushions for the benches. One is done and turned out half-way decent.

This is the driver-side bench (the electrical bench — CO detector visible in the lower left). Inside is 2" foam from the fabric store. A material with anti-slip dots was used for the bottom and back of the cushions. The fabric is a little loose, but it's comfortable.

Now I have to sew a second one for the passenger side....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
With the insulation up, beginning to install a ceiling. I have to hurry because these "self-adhesive" insulation hangars are not terribly reliable.

I decided to go with tongue and groove for the ceiling because it is light, inexpensive, and will contour easily to the inside van roof.

To begin installing, I want first some furring strips running east-west across the ribs of the Transit. My Transit has four of these and I believe the length of the furring strips were something like 61 3/4" or so.

To get the flex I needed, I decided to stack two pieces of 1/4" (baltic birch) plywood. That would give me ½" to run screws into — probably plenty to hold the lightweight tongue and groove planks.

There were 4 natural holes already in the van ribs that were spaced such that they looked like they might secure the furring and pull it into a natural curve to match the van roof. I'm using 1/4" Plus Nut inserts — they take a 3/8" hole: some of the holes were 3/8" but others were just under and had to be drilled out to 3/8"

Plus nuts were inserted. I found, by the way, that when I went to install the first furring strip in the rear of the van, that the bolt bound up in the threads of the plus-nut insert and the plus-nut spun. Fixing this was a nightmare (sawz-all and vise-grips were required). I learned a lesson though: after installing plus-nut inserts, chase the threads with a 1/4" 20 tap and soap up your bolts.

In order to assist holding the foam insulation up, I made the furring strips 6" wide. This allows them to extend over the foam insulation and help support it. To save on wood, the furring strips on top of the 6" furring strips were 4". So each furring strip on each rib of the Transit consisted of a sandwich: a 6" wide strip first and a then a 4" wide strip on top.

I knew drilling holes in the furring strips would have alignment issues with the plus-nuts — and I didn't want the misplacement of the holes to deform the natural radius I hoped the strips would conform to. So I decided to try to make slotted holes in the furring strips.

There were four holes in the furring strips — to match the four plus-nut in each rib. I slotted the two inner holes with ½" of play, the outer holes with 5/8" of travel. This worked surprisingly well!

Because the bolts are conical, I used a router bit to cut tapered slots in the top piece of furring.

Don't install bolts into plus-nut inserts with power tools! Go easy, with a hand driver. If you meet significant resistance — stop — you could spin the plus nut! Try chasing the threads again, lubricating the bolt.

The slotted holes worked out really well.

Finally all furring strips were installed. They turned out reasonably well.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts