Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm C from Virginia... looking at a Transit Wagon. I need a people and toy hauler for the family and I'm trying to avoid the Suburban/Expedition thing... too expensive, no space, etc. I have three boys, lots of toys, and cross the country every year to our summer vacation spot in Idaho, so we put a fair number of travel miles on every year.

I also have a boat, and camp a lot, so need something that can tow, while hauling people and gear. I'm hoping an XLT short wheel base with the ecoboost will be the answer, but won't know until we CAN ACTUALLY SEE ONE! So frustrating to have to wait literally two years for this vehicle.

I have an RV on a Sprinter Chassis and won't own another one...plus it cant really tow, so that's out. It's this or a Nissan NV, which is uglier than sin, but it can pull a stump and seats 12 on leather so it'll do if the Transit doesn't pan out. WE WILL SEE. Anyway thanks for having me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We seem to be in the same place. Towing with people inside. I still don't know tow rating for the Transit wagons (worried it will be too low), their payload is good.The Nissan has pretty high numbers for both payload and towing. It has also been out a few years, and then engine has been in several of their vehicles. I agree it is ugly, but then I'm gonna be inside it - all you other people will be looking at the outside. Inside the leather looks pretty nice. If the transit ends up with a bunch of bench seating, then it may be out of the running for me. Kids need bucket seats so they have an obvious 'don't cross this line'.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What don't you like about your Sprinter RV? Did you have a bad experience with it?

And welcome to the forum!
The sprinter is okay. It gets decent mileage for a small class c RV, but it's slow, can't tow, is louder than heck, seats are uncomfortable, air conditioning is useless, and my knee hits the shifter relentlessly. Oh yeah, it's expensive to maintain, and I'm just waiting for it to break down on me since they seem to like to do that. Other than that, it's great. :laugh:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We seem to be in the same place. Towing with people inside. I still don't know tow rating for the Transit wagons (worried it will be too low), their payload is good.The Nissan has pretty high numbers for both payload and towing. It has also been out a few years, and then engine has been in several of their vehicles. I agree it is ugly, but then I'm gonna be inside it - all you other people will be looking at the outside. Inside the leather looks pretty nice. If the transit ends up with a bunch of bench seating, then it may be out of the running for me. Kids need bucket seats so they have an obvious 'don't cross this line'.
I actually really like the Nissan... It's just really unattractive. The 5.6 is a strong but very inefficient motor, so I'm holding out for another Ford since my last two have treated me well.

I saw somewhere that's the 3.7 will rate at 4200 lbs, which is quite low. I'm concerned too that the max rating might be lower than I need. I need at least 6500 or it's a deal breaker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually really like the Nissan... It's just really unattractive. The 5.6 is a strong but very inefficient motor, so I'm holding out for another Ford since my last two have treated me well.

I saw somewhere that's the 3.7 will rate at 4200 lbs, which is quite low. I'm concerned too that the max rating might be lower than I need. I need at least 6500 or it's a deal breaker.
AOL auto has added more info I think I saw tow specs for the 3.7 not the Eco 3.5. I am towing a travel trailer with a E150 4.6L. My trailer empty is 4200lbs. I'm hoping the Eco 3.5 will do the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, towing is the other thing to me too. The 2015 expedition has been advertised with 9200lbs of towing with the v6 eco. Hopefully that will translate over to this vehicle. This one will (probably) have the bigger payload, which to me means a toughened suspension and frame. If it comes in substantially less I will have problems with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts