Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never built a van. Waste of time. Why build when you can travel? Add GF and gear and go. I do do conversions for all types of mechanical stuffs. I never, ever charge money or barter. 50k miles in two years is a lot of moving. The third year of my "front-loaded retirement" got me an Air Guard seat to get paid to travel.
Sometimes we have to deal with spammers and other ilk trying to sell stuff or lure someone into some tasty click-bait. We have trolls, and newbs, and others that can on occasion get our hackles up. Some can be reported for blatant violations, others might offer enough useful content to make it worth it to weather their sometimes less attractive side. I have my less than pleasant days, and this post may exemplify one of them.

Not so with @HNLHugh, he is completely harmless, and, based upon his own assessment of the pursuit of van conversion being a "Waste of time" has stated in no uncertain terms how his actual interest in this forum's various pursuits is:

• Nil,
  • Zip,
  • Zero,
  • Nada.

At least no interest other than having a place to vent what some might see as an ego-maniacal streak with a penchant for boasting about his exploits in the aircraft and yacht industries in such a way that may in his eyes put feathers in his cap. This behavior of his more often than not falls short of actually being useful to others actively participating in this forum.

If, like me, you would prefer to ignore him (or me, or anyone else), simply click on the offender's name to open the user's profile, then, click on "User Lists" and select Ignore from the drop-down menu.

Share and enjoy.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I use the passive ignore system; usually a glance at a post is enough for me to decide it's not relevant or that I won't learn anything. Then I skip it and read the following post by someone else. I DO report the scammers'n'spammers with the little triangle on the Left side of the post.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I use the passive ignore system; usually a glance at a post is enough for me to decide it's not relevant or that I won't learn anything. Then I skip it and read the following post by someone else. I DO report the scammers'n'spammers with the little triangle on the Left side of the post.
I tried that with this guy. really, I did. Eventually, it reached the point where the posts began to have the effect of that mosquito whine in the ear, or, perhaps it was more like Chinese Water Torture, where the inevitable next drop would compound all that came before. :D

Once I realized how Mutually Assured Distraction was staring me in the face, the nuclear option was the only escape left for me. >:D

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
@Travlin, he seems to have really got under your skin. Not that I don't blame you or don't understand why but it makes me a little worried for you.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Sounds like somebody has too much time on his hands.

(The guy is not hurting anything)

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
About the ignore feature, I once beat Henry Rono in a 5k road race. I was cruising along with about a kilometer to go and I was catching this guy, and to my surprise it was Rono. I finished about 20 seconds ahead of him around 14:30, so it wasn't a real fast race.

Reactions: Eiko

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
And when I'm considering the ignore feature or towing, I remember doing a 24hr relay in high school with two other guys. We only went about 150 miles, or 50 miles each with the mandatory 1 mile handoffs on the track.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Parody pointing out how oblivious people can be as a form of constructive criticism is fun. I like fun. The elderly or damaged mind is an unusual thing; able to communicate outwardly but not quite "there" when comprehending what others are saying. It doesn't make them a "bad" person, but it can be tedious and unproductive interacting with them. I'll probably join their ranks at some point, explaining the laurels I'm resting on without being asked to.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I'll probably join their ranks at some point, explaining the laurels I'm resting on without being asked to.
You (and I) will repeat those stories ad nauseum to anyone with or without ears. Whether they want to listen or not. Whether they ask for them or not. We can start practicing now for that eventuality.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Parody pointing out how oblivious people can be as a form of constructive criticism is fun. I like fun. The elderly or damaged mind is an unusual thing; able to communicate outwardly but not quite "there" when comprehending what others are saying. It doesn't make them a "bad" person, but it can be tedious and unproductive interacting with them. I'll probably join their ranks at some point, explaining the laurels I'm resting on without being asked to.
Now I understand the problem. Being 80 and with Tinnitus my mind is damaged and unusual. Not quite there most of the time. In addition being a Luddite creates additional issues.

If it helps any, my wife would fully agree with your analysis.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Now I understand the problem. Being 80 and with Tinnitus my mind is damaged and unusual. Not quite there most of the time. In addition being a Luddite creates additional issues.

If it helps any, my wife would fully agree with your analysis.
Dave, I'm quite thankful about how you are sincerely generous and willing to provide more info when questions arise and always relevant with your contributions. :)

FWIW, I'm more than a little suspicious that my mind has been damaged and unusual since day one. ;)

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Self deprecation is a sign of intelligence.
Dave is still making new stories, so he doesn't have to tell his old "glory days" stories ad nauseum. Sharing hard earned information is one thing, telling pointless stories in another. That's the difference. I hope to be more like Dave when I'm his age. But I doubt I'll live that long.

Reactions: orton

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've only just realized I inadvertently chose the Transit Connect General Discussion to put this in. :eek: (was aiming for Transit General Discussion)

At least the Connect thread is getting some traffic for a change. :D

Note to self: When tired after a hard day just go on to bed and pick up where you left off on the morrow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts