Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
A few of us are are trying and struggling to figure this out. I don't meant to be rude but when you say the engine revved when you hit the brakes are you sure that the revving wasn't just the normal downshifting that happens under hard braking (especially in Tow/Haul). Its supposed to do that but then upshift if the revs go high enough to reach the shift point.

OR

Do you mean that when you hit the brakes, the vehicle accelerated? This is the scenario that we are struggling with as the brakes on a Transit should be able to bring the vehicle to a full stop even with the accelerator deliberately pressed to the floor. The motor, even at WOT should not be capable of overwhelming the brakes when fully applied. If this is the case, some info on how hard it was accelerating, how hard you were braking and if the brakes were able to stop the vehicle etc., could eliminate some of the potential culprits.
I really appreciate the help. I realize it's a strange situation. I've driven the van for 5 years on many road trips. I have never experienced this in it before. The times it happened, I hit the brakes and the vehicle accelerated. The first three times I was able to stop the vehicle. The last time I was driving, exiting the freeway, I had to put the van in neutral to get it to stop accelerating. I didn't drive it again after that but when my brother drove it, it happened to him two times. Same thing, randomly would be trying to stop and engine would rev at 4000 rpm, vehicle accelerating. My brother is a test airplane pilot. He thought it was user error until it happened to him. It has stumped him also.

OK this looks pretty serious. AFAIK the only way that the 3.7 can deliver unintended acceleration at this level is through a serious fault with the throttle body or the signals going to it. That would also be a prime suspect in the thrown rod. Documentation, verification and legal advice are called for at this point.

I've had something like this happen, but not with a Transit. My Land Rover occasionally wants to accelerate when I lightly tap the brake, but if I whomp on the brake the car stops.I always thought maybe my size 15 boots and loss of feeling from Peripheral Neuropathy were causing me to push both brake and accelerator at the same time. Now you have me suspecting a problem so I'll run it by my service folks.
Cannabis might help with the neuropathy.

Ooh, now I think I'll finally schedule that throttle body recall!

2016 Ford Transit 350, long with medium roof - full size one
I have a 2018 T350 with 3.7LT with 6 speed transmission. I have same problem and is very Sporadic. Had my transmission service light come on and when pulling off of highway had white smoke rolling out of the bottom of van. Lost my transmission. Could not get parts to rebuild and could not get a new one from ford they said 8 months at the fastest. Had to settle for a used one with 50,000 miles on it. I had 110,000 on the one that went out. The replacement does the same sporadic high RPM shifting when stopping. Ford said I just need to re zap computer. Well did that and it done it again today.

I just read through this whole thread, SO curious about what the problem was, as I turned to page 2, then 3, with all the good input..... and it looks like dcollette11 never came back with the ultimate diagnosis. DenverCoder9 😫 Arghhh!

Raydog49036, I hope you get things figured out.

Anyone ever figure this out? Have a 2018 350 xlt 3.7 doing the same type of thing. Happens after driving several hours and then seems to be worse on hills having to brake and the engine revs to 4 to 5. The transmission light comes on but goes back off after sitting awhile.

Following up on this - anyone figure anything out? I have a 2018 250, and at about 55,000 miles on a road trip across country, after several hours of driving, exiting the highway and applying the brake the RPMs jumped to 3 and revved loudly. This continued to happen, but only after driving at 70mph plus for longer periods of time and braking. We replaced the brake booster and had all the vacuum lines checked, still happening. Now we need to let the vehicle slow itself down coming up to off ramps and not apply the brake until it is under 65mph so it doesn't rev, and even then, we need to tap the brake lightly until it slows down. This does not happen braking at slower speeds and only happens when driving at highway speeds for long periods. We have brought the van to three Ford service stations, many spending several hours trying to figure out the issue, and have yet to solve it.

check the tranny fluid level?

Following. We have a 2022 T250 AWD ecoboost. Twice we've used it to tow a track car on a trailer, total weight under 5000. We have the heavy duty tow package and the factory trailer brake controller. The first time towing, nothing at all remarkable happened, all was as expected. The second time the transmission made some very aggressive downshifts once the brake pedal was tapped for some slight slowing, like on downhills or before a curve. RPMs would jump from under 2000 to over 4000 and the engine would howl. Doesn't seem right. We might go to another event next month, if we do I'll update.

edit: maybe I should've put this as a new post, since it doesn't really respond to OP's issue? I"ll put it up as a new thread.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.