Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Hit brakes and engine revs...two days later total engine failure

8570 52
First time post here...and it's long. :) While on a road trip with my 6 kids, I had a brake issue with my 2016 Ford Transit. The first time it happened, I was driving about 55 mph, hit the brakes and the engine revved. I pumped the brakes, engine stopped revving. Honestly thought I did something wrong. Same thing happened again two days later. I stopped and cleaned the sensors hoping that would resolve the issue. The next day the same thing happened making it hard to stop. I went straight to Ford and had two Ford dealerships tell me the vehicle was fine. Brakes were checked and was told no problems. I asked if it could be a leak in brake booster and was told no. No lights were coming on. I took the van to Les Schwab and was told the same thing. Unsure what to do, my brother came to the rescue and took the van. He started driving it home to California from Colorado. I rented an RV and continued our road trip. 80 miles later, the engine on the van made a loud bang and ceased. No engine lights. My brother said the engine started having acceleration problems so he stopped and checked all of the fluids. Everything was fine and engine was not overheated. But, complete engine failure at 79,000 miles. This was July. Since then, we paid to have a new engine installed. My husband flew out to pick up the van and new engine started having problems. He had to fly back home. Ford has said that the new engine is bad so they are paying for rental car and getting another new engine installed. Still do not have van. It's been three months. My concern is something else is going on...just seems extremely strange. I am still worried about the braking and revving bit and wonder if anyone else has had a similar issue.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Registered
just curious is this a transit connect- small front wheel drive or a full size Transit?

Registered
Forum diagnosis of "a complete Engine failure" is a SWAG at best. Engine rev on braking leads one to think Low transmission fluid level (not easily checked by operator) or Object on floor interfering with accelerator pedal. Past that invasive investigation would be required. The term "new engine". Is it truly a new in the box Ford New engine. OR a rebuilt engine OR a replacement obtained from a recycler? A new in the box engine from Ford Motor Company would be highly unusual and the cost of the engine alone would far exceed the value of the van. I say this because it would be highly unlikely to have a second failure so quickly. Unless they were other undiagnosed issues. Maybe quality of repairs performed? I wish you well on the outcome. Please keep the Forum updated on progress.

Reactions: 6ixgun

Registered
I was kind of keeping this under a lid, but here's a potential similarity.
There is a steep drive exiting the area I store some equipment. At the bottom of the decent is a T intersection.
3 times now the van has accelerated going down that drive despite me standing on the brakes. I could feel / hear the ABS working but the van kept acceletating. Twice it gained so much speed I had to turn left (obtuse angle at T) because I didn't think the right (acute angle at T) was going to be possible (guess it's more of a Y intersection).
I have discovered turning off traction control and using M1 gear to descend stops the "runaway" van. It's unnerving!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forum diagnosis of "a complete Engine failure" is a SWAG at best. Engine rev on braking leads one to think Low transmission fluid level (not easily checked by operator) or Object on floor interfering with accelerator pedal. Past that invasive investigation would be required. The term "new engine". Is it truly a new in the box Ford New engine. OR a rebuilt engine OR a replacement obtained from a recycler? A new in the box engine from Ford Motor Company would be highly unusual and the cost of the engine alone would far exceed the value of the van. I say this because it would be highly unlikely to have a second failure so quickly. Unless they were other undiagnosed issues. Maybe quality of repairs performed? I wish you well on the outcome. Please keep the Forum updated on progress.
Thank you for your reply. My 1st thought was something on floor interfering so I ensured floor was clear and problem continued. The "new" engine was a crate engine from Ford. My concern too is that there is undiagnosed issues. Will update as repairs continue. I am really hoping it's not quality of repairs as the same place is installing the 2nd crated engine. Because it's Ford warranty and in a really small town, I'm limited with options for repairs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was kind of keeping this under a lid, but here's a potential similarity.
There is a steep drive exiting the area I store some equipment. At the bottom of the decent is a T intersection.
3 times now the van has accelerated going down that drive despite me standing on the brakes. I could feel / hear the ABS working but the van kept acceletating. Twice it gained so much speed I had to turn left (obtuse angle at T) because I didn't think the right (acute angle at T) was going to be possible (guess it's more of a Y intersection).
I have discovered turning off traction control and using M1 gear to descend stops the "runaway" van. It's unnerving!
Very unnerving! The last time it happened to me, I was trying to exit the freeway and the engine revved so high that I could not slow down while also standing on the brakes then pumping the brakes. I put it in neutral and got the engine to stop revving. Then had three places look at me like I was crazy and tell me nothing was wrong.

Registered
Very unnerving! The last time it happened to me, I was trying to exit the freeway and the engine revved so high that I could not slow down while also standing on the brakes then pumping the brakes. I put it in neutral and got the engine to stop revving. Then had three places look at me like I was crazy and tell me nothing was wrong.
Great move to get it into neutral! It happened so fast the first time my mind was still saying "this isn't really happening". You're not crazy, or we both are ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your reply. My 1st thought was something on floor interfering so I ensured floor was clear and problem continued. The "new" engine was a crate engine from Ford. My concern too is that there is undiagnosed issues. Will update as repairs continue. I am really hoping it's not quality of repairs as the same place is installing the 2nd crated engine. Because it's Ford warranty and in a really small town, I'm limited with options for repairs.
One thing to add on the total engine failure. That was Ford's description. When engine failed, it was a loud bang, massive amounts of black smoke and the road littered with car parts.

Registered
It would be interesting to see where parts exploded FROM. Was it a hole in the side of the block or head, like throwing a rod or a seized piston, or something to do with the torque converter/transmission seizing?

Registered
I'm not sure how the power brakes work on your van but if it has a vacuum power brake booster, that might explain the engine revving if the booster has a hole in the rubber diaphragm. If it did, that would allow un-metered air into the intake manifold. The computer would try to compensate for the "false air" but could only do so much. It would cause a lean fuel mixture and could damage the engine. I'm not sure how the booster on your van works but that could be your problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would be interesting to see where parts exploded FROM. Was it a hole in the side of the block or head, like throwing a rod or a seized piston, or something to do with the torque converter/transmission seizing?
The service center said the rod pierced a hole through the engine. I kept the vehicle well maintained. There were no lights on what so ever. The only issue prior to the engine blowing was the brake/rev thing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure how the power brakes work on your van but if it has a vacuum power brake booster, that might explain the engine revving if the booster has a hole in the rubber diaphragm. If it did, that would allow un-metered air into the intake manifold. The computer would try to compensate for the "false air" but could only do so much. It would cause a lean fuel mixture and could damage the engine. I'm not sure how the booster on your van works but that could be your problem.
Thanks for your reply. This makes a lot of sense. The three places I took the van to have them check it out all said if the brake booster was bad or had a leak, then the brakes wouldn't work well. The brakes worked fine, they did not hit the floor. They were just losing the battle when the engine was revving at the same time. My van does have a vacuum power brake booster.

Registered
I would think there would (well should) be a lean code and CEL.

Registered
I don't think a booster can self heal for the other times in between the symptom where it did not over rev on braking. That engine is a throttle by wire system. It is possible that something was ingested that might of temporarily "stuck" the throttle plates open. I don't think that is likely for repeated events not sequential. Parts shedding indicates extreme over-rev. It is an un-pleasant Mystery. I do think problems with a replacement engine will be traced to some form of installation problem. Especially if the symptoms of problems are different on the replacement. I think Ford would not pay for a brand new engine, even with a FMC extended warranty, Unless they knew what the root cause of the original failure was. If you were experiencing similar symptoms as you did with the original engine , Then you gotta find the ROOT cause. If they are different drivability symptoms then I believe it is on the repairing dealer.

Reactions: dcollette11

Registered
Your know Janus9 points out something. There is a chronic problem with the undehood wiring connector corroding and making poor connection. Such an event "could" be the culprit for drivability issues. There are quite a few posts on here about no start condition due to this.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts