Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any downsides other than height for the high roof? I have a medium, was thinking of upgrading.

·
Registered
645 Posts
^^^ +1. Actually, I don’t know if it’s any worse, but it sure isn’t good.

And uglier.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I don't know if there's "much" of a wind difference with that larger surface area, I doubt it's even 10% more, and most of the weight of all height Transits is within 3' of the ground. If it was at the top it would make a difference.

A downside would be that they COST a lot more.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Another vote for wind. Scary shyte when the road is icy, and the wind is gusting broadside. I once had my rear wheels break loose due to the force of the wind. Now I will either not drive in those conditions, or have significant weight in the back to keep me planted.

Similar to the crosswinds, tuck yourself in behind a semi going down the highway (freeway) and you're in for an interesting ride. You really feel the turbulence. This is quickly remedied by minimizing the time spent in this area you should already be limiting your time in.

I don't know if it's the same for other heights, but the birds love sitting way up on mine and crapping down the side. You'd think with it being white it would blend in... Nope.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Putting a canoe up on top of a mid-roof is pretty scary business. A high-roof can’t be any easier.

That said I would get a high-roof if I was to buy another. Much more usable space, and if you’re taller than 5’11” the extra headroom is sweet.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Putting a canoe up on top of a mid-roof is pretty scary business. A high-roof can’t be any easier.

That said I would get a high-roof if I was to buy another. Much more usable space, and if you’re taller than 5’11” the extra headroom is sweet.

Yes, high roof was necessary for my build. Now maybe a future “mid-high” roof that splits the difference might make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Yup, I have been using an 8 footer since it is what I have. Just pointing out that even with a longer wand or pressure washer you won’t be able to reach the top of the HR.
Most of my high roof is covered with a single 300 watt solar panel. It is a stretch but I am able to get to the center of the roof enough to clean it. Use a towel and throw one end at middle part of roof and solar panel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had my high roof only 2 days so far and I love it. I need to be able to stand up in my new home. Ask me again in six months. I am disappointed I won't be able to go through the automatic car wash with it. I will adjust to that as it is a good trade-off to have something I can stand in... at 5'8" the midroof wasn't enough when you consider the space floor and roof paneling will consume.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe it's 10.5 " taller than medium. I hang my ladders from the ceiling rather than using a ladder rack on top.
You know work smarter not harder.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I've had my high roof only 2 days so far and I love it. I need to be able to stand up in my new home. Ask me again in six months. I am disappointed I won't be able to go through the automatic car wash with it. I will adjust to that as it is a good trade-off to have something I can stand in... at 5'8" the midroof wasn't enough when you consider the space floor and roof paneling will consume.
that's odd, I'm 5'10 and I can stand just fine in my van. You must have a passenger van with the raised floor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts