Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently completed installing upgraded headlights. I was really disappointed in the OEM halogens so I first tried swapping the halogens bulbs out for LED bulbs for both high and low beams. More light hit the ground but the reflectors really suck so there was a lot of dark and bright areas; extremely inconsistent.

I’ve been spoiled for too long with HIDs on my other vehicles so I bit the bullet and did the conversion. I used the Morimoto Bi-Xenon MH1 Projector paired with a NHK 38W Ballast and 5500K H1 lamps.

Smokin Holies! Now were talkin. There is a very consistent carpet of light in front of the vehicle. And no error codes.
As the van is lifted I’m a bit worried about the poor guy in front of me at a traffic light so I’ve got them adjusted down to only illuminate about 100 feet out front. And at the end of that 100 feet is a very sharp, distinct cutoff line. A test drive last night found me at a red light about half a car length behind a little Toyota somthin-or-another and I was pleased to see the cutoff line across his trunk and light not hitting any of his mirrors. Perhaps I can raise them a bit and still not irritate anyone.

Did I mention the high beams? Smokin holies X 2! Being Bi-Xenon when you hit the high beams it simply opens the shutter all the way in the projector lens so you get all the light with no cutoff pattern. The light goes a really long distance. You ain’t gonna out drive the high beams. The existing high beams still work but I’m pretty sure I would not notice any difference if I removed the LED lamps I previously installed.

The mod did require putting the light housings in an oven to separate the lens from the housing and opening the hole for the OEM H1 bulb to allow for the projector housing to be installed. I have tried this before on my motorcycle and it was a royal PITA not to mention messy. So I left this part to an expert in the So Cal area who does this all the time.

The wiring harness was easy to install and I had no problem finding places to mount the ballasts (used VHB tape).

As soon as I get a chance I’ll try and and take some photos showing the high and low beam patterns and approximate some distances.

·
Super Moderator
3,085 Posts
Thx, I look forward to your follow-up. I was tempted to heat and separate the housings several times for various reasons, may do it sometime...
The low beam LEDs I have in my two wagons are great for me, yet the high beams are lacking compared to stock even after seeking out better bulbs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts