Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Hi-Res Digital Camera

732 9
I am getting ready to order a Transit Cargo Van (Hi Roof, EL). My understanding is that the base model van comes with a back-up camera, which provides a B&W display on the small radio screen.
What does the Hi-Resolution Digital Camera do? It's an option that requires upgrading the basic radio to SYNC 4, 12" screen, and costs $930. Would it provide a virtual rear view on the 12" screen as one is driving? IF anyone has it and can describe what the Hi-res camera does, I'd appreciate it.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
You get a split screen when backing, the left side has the color backup picture and the right side has the virtual 360 degree view. I find them both helpful when trying to park this beast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
So the Hi-Res camera alone (not the 360-degree cameras) does not provide full-time virtual rear view, such as when driving forward? Only in reverse, it provides a split screen?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks.
So the Hi-Res camera alone (not the 360-degree cameras) does not provide full-time virtual rear view, such as when driving forward? Only in reverse, it provides a split screen?
Correct, only in reverse. I wish it was on full time also.

·
Registered
6-23-22 2023 XLT T-350HD Wagon EB AWD Avalanche Grey with all safety and tech options except PSD.
56 Posts
The digital rear view mirror will be a always on mirror that uses a rear camera to give you an unobstructed view behind your van despite having a bulkhead or any other obstructions to your rear windows.

·
Premium Member
Waiting on a W3U, Ord 6/18/22...
204 Posts
The new Ford option is called: Virtual Rearview Mirror (90C). But note that if it's similar to other Ford digital mirrors, it is lacking features that VanTop systems have: acting as a forward- and reverse-facing DashCam, and digital zoom/pan functionality. It's probably a higher-quality bit of hardware than the 3rd-party VanTop system, though, and is warrantied with the rest of the van.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you all for confirming what the Hi-Res Digital Camera package does, and for the info on the Virtual Rearview Mirror, which I see as on option in the 2023 model. It was offered earlier in European models of Transit and its called "Smart Mirror". Two versions: one for vans with rear windows and one for vans without rear windows. Both cost the same (about $550).

I may opt for an after-market digital mirror (dash cam). Now they can display both and front and rear views constantly AND record, even when the vehicle is parked. Depending on resolution (1080P vs 4k), they range in price from $100 to $250.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I may opt for an after-market digital mirror (dash cam). Now they can display both and front and rear views constantly AND record, even when the vehicle is parked. Depending on resolution (1080P vs 4k), they range in price from $100 to $250.
Please share your thoughts when you get this -- I've been thinking about this and looking into it as well. Am hoping to get a real 360 degree camera set up for full time view when driving and parked.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,343 Posts
Please share your thoughts when you get this -- I've been thinking about this and looking into it as well. Am hoping to get a real 360 degree camera set up for full time view when driving and parked.
I think a few of us are running the VanTop brand - which got cleansed from Amazon a while back. Has been great for us. Went with their 4K unit with front-and-rear cams setup. It has served us well - including auto-recording when we've had a couple "impacts," which I suppose is nice.

Amazon search for "4k mirror dash cam front and rear" gets plenty of hits.

·
Registered
282 Posts
which provides a B&W display on the small radio screen.
It's a color picture, on a 5" screen about arm's length from your face. Put your phone in wide-angle camera mode, hold it that far away and see if you can identify anything on it. Meets the letter of the law perhaps, but is largely useless. About all I can use it for is to see where the 6" high concrete parking barrier is, before it goes out of view. When it does, it's time to stop. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts