Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retired looking to build my own class b. Looking at the Promaster Diesel and the Transit diesel when they are out. Both have their own advantages so I'll have to drive them to decide. Currently restoring a CE2 Westfalia VW and I realized that it wouldn't work for me on a long Xcountry trip, too small. A lot of interest in these conversions; maybe a dedicated section?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome :)
For me, I don't know anything about car fixing so embarking on building a new RV scares me to death.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Retired looking to build my own class b. Looking at the Promaster Diesel and the Transit diesel when they are out. Both have their own advantages so I'll have to drive them to decide. Currently restoring a CE2 Westfalia VW and I realized that it wouldn't work for me on a long Xcountry trip, too small. A lot of interest in these conversions; maybe a dedicated section?
Do your homework on purchasing a diesel. Make a spreadsheet comparing the costs. Include fuel cost, fuel filter change cost, more expensive oil and more of it, DEF cost, value of interest from investing the higher capitol cost, glow plug costs and higher maintenance due to turbo and emission hardware/software. It is not a slam dunk that a diesel is less expensive to operate. Depends on your use. It is easier to justify if you put on lots of miles/year. Low miles and you are kidding yourself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
welcome to the show! as a cross country tripper I would arbitrarily say that yes the diesel will have its benefits in terms of distance between fillups and total miles, but like orton said do your homework :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the diesels get significantly higher fuel economy, it will work for me. On thing left out of the equation is inflation and the future of fuel costs. I'm on a fixed income, Obama care has and will further lower my income in the future. Buy now paying the extra cost of a diesel engine at todays prices now for lower fuel costs in the future. Not that long ago you could buy a nice truck for what the current rebates are now. I don't have much confidence in our economy. This morning I left a stimulus package in my little white house after my morning quantitative easing.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Do not be too sure diesel will not rise in price. More diesel vehicles = more demand & same supply. I am going to buy the 3.7 with the natural gas/ propane prep package. My guess is those fuels might be the least costly in the future. Would not pay for the conversion until fuel prices dictate but want the option. Diesel can pay if you put on lots of miles/year. Again, do the calculation for your individual situation to see what is least expensive. Make sure you include all the costs not just the fuel costs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In general diesel does not payoff. I used my Excel addin to do a quick analysis of costs. Look at the various sheets. CommonParams contains params used by all vehicles. I used some estimates for MPGs, 25000 miles/yr, 55% city miles and 10 years. Look at VehGraphs and VehPivots. It is just an example of costs. You need to do your own estimate but I could not get it to payback unless you drive over 30,000 miles/yr and it is mostly highway miles. Even then it takes about 6 years.

http://1drv.ms/ReOUr0

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I won't put many miles on this van, maybe 3-8K a year as a camper, so it will last me quite a long time. 10 years from now, how much will the diesel option cost? Will fuel prices double again? The first time I pumped gas at my fathers gas station the price was 12 Cents a gallon. You could buy a new car for under $2k.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking at it as a hedge against possible inflation, like during the Carter admin. I probably won't recover the costs of the diesel but I can afford the extra cost now. If fuel and vehicle costs goes up in the future, like it has in the past, I'll have a vehicle I can still afford to drive with low miles. I currently have a diesel and a gas car. We are driving the diesel because its much cheaper, right now. during the winter when diesel cost more than premium , we drove the gas car. Look at it this way, a 2004 diesel sprinter vs 2014 diesel sprinter, you could buy a 2004 diesel sprinter for less than $25K now how much are they? Almost twice the cost. Fuel prices have pretty much doubled too during that time.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I'm looking at it as a hedge against possible inflation, like during the Carter admin. I probably won't recover the costs of the diesel but I can afford the extra cost now. If fuel and vehicle costs goes up in the future, like it has in the past, I'll have a vehicle I can still afford to drive with low miles. I currently have a diesel and a gas car. We are driving the diesel because its much cheaper, right now. during the winter when diesel cost more than premium , we drove the gas car. Look at it this way, a 2004 diesel sprinter vs 2014 diesel sprinter, you could buy a 2004 diesel sprinter for less than $25K now how much are they? Almost twice the cost. Fuel prices have pretty much doubled too during that time.
Invest the extra cost of the diesel purchase price. $6,000 @ 4% would yield $240/yr of dividends.

Diesel 6000 miles/20 mpg = 300 gallons/year x $4.00/gallon = $1200
Gas 6000 miles/15 mpg = 400 gallons/year x $4.00/gallon = $1600
Per year savings on fuel = $400

Extra cost of diesel includes fuel filter change, DEF cost, more quarts of more expensive oil, possible additional maintenance due to diesel emission stuff.
Say $500.00/year additional diesel maintenance costs.

You will save $340/year with gas. Take the wife out to a fancy dinner 3 times a year with the savings to celebrate a better choice. Plus there is no risk of EGR failure, turbo failure, swirl valve failure, turbo hose failure, control electrical failure, DEF system failure, DPF filter failure, etc.
There is also a risk that diesel fuel will go up in price faster than gas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What if the diesel option was $4k, as with the Promaster? And all you can get is 1.5% since I 'm not a politician.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Diesel 6000 miles/20 mpg = 300 gallons/year x $4.00/gallon = $1200
Gas 6000 miles/15 mpg = 400 gallons/year x $4.00/gallon = $1600
Per year savings on fuel = $400
Diesel is usually about 14% to 16% more expensive. If gas is $4.00 then diesel is about $4.56 to $4.64. So $1200 becomes $1368 to $1392.

Here are my fuel price projections for my analysis:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
What if the diesel option was $4k, as with the Promaster? And all you can get is 1.5% since I 'm not a politician.
Play with the numbers all you like. What you will find is there is not that much difference in operating costs between gas and diesel unless you put on lots of miles/year.

Any number of safe stocks will give you 4% dividend yield.

CLX 3.3%
PCG 4.2%
T 5.2%
DUK 4.4%
PFE 3.6%
VOD 5.9%

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just come back from a trip in arizona, diesel was cheaper than gas at some stations. Its $1 more for gas or diesel where I live here in the north coast.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Just come back from a trip in arizona, diesel was cheaper than gas at some stations. Its $1 more for gas or diesel where I live here in the north coast.
I used the same price in my example. At $1.00 more per gallon the wife gets more fancy dinners.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts