Ford Transit USA Forum banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
What I don't see in the text of the Private Offer that I read on the BOF is any type of compensation for people who were "forced" to remove the PSD from their order. This seems a bit unfair to me as at the time, Ford was all "you must remove this or you will be balanced out!" Since there was no Private Offer on the horizon then, buyers felt backed into a corner if they wanted a van at all (and knowing there were going to be huge price increases for 2023), and so I believe many removed the PSD. So their van wasn't "balanced out," and they get no Private Offer chance to re-order a 2023 --- but yet it wasn't the van they really wanted or even the van they ordered.

How many of those customers would have kept the PSD on there and let their order balance out if they knew they could re-order a 2023 with price protection? I would bet quite a few. IMO, Ford should give those customers the option of the Price Protection and a 2023 re-order (obviously only if they have not taken delivery of the 2022 yet).

(It's not like the 2022 PSD-less custom van they are building is going to go to waste - I'm sure those vans would be very easy for dealers to sell and make even more Ford Transit shoppers/buyers happy.)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
How many of those customers would have kept the PSD on there and let their order balance out if they knew they could re-order a 2023 with price protection? I would bet quite a few. IMO, Ford should give those customers the option of the Price Protection and a 2023 re-order (obviously only if they have not taken delivery of the 2022 yet).
I took my chances, fully understanding there was no guarantee I’d get the van in 2022. The fact that PP is subsequently being offered shouldn’t have been in “last years” decision. I would have begrudgingly taken the van without, and was happy when it didn’t end up being Scheduled because really the PSD was non-negotiable.

As of now there appears to be no guarantee that PP re-orders are guaranteed a van (tho I’ll hope), so I think it’d be presumptuous to offer PP to those orders that will be fulfilled.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
(It's not like the 2022 PSD-less custom van they are building is going to go to waste - I'm sure those vans would be very easy for dealers to sell and make even more Ford Transit shoppers/buyers happy.)
But that is one less van that Ford would be selling at the inflation adjusted pricing. Or more accurately, they’re compelled to sell one additional van at the prior year pricing, when they were probably already taking it in the shorts in 2022.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I took my chances, fully understanding there was no guarantee I’d get the van in 2022.
So you didn't remove the PSD. That means you will qualify for the Private Offer because your van was not built. But many people were basically "forced" (coerced, whatever) into removing it. Knowing that if they ordered a 2023 the price would be a lot higher...

You obviously came out smelling like a rose and that's great; but it still seems a bit unfair to me not to include the "forced PSD removal" people in the offer if they want to participate. I mean, how many is it anyway? The thing is, they leaned heavily on people to remove the PSD; it's not like people just randomly chose to remove it. That's what makes me think this way.

Ford: "REMOVE the PSD or you won't get a van, and a 2023 is going to cost you a LOT more if you have to re-order so think about that."
Customer: "Okay, okay, remove it, dangit."
A few months later: "Okay now there will be a Private Offer so 2023's will cost you the same.... unless you removed the PSD for fear of having to re-order a much more expensive 2023..... ha ha, sorry sucker!"

It's obviously an annoying situation, but how hard would it be for them to extend the Private Offer to anyone who agreed (under pressure from Ford) to remove the PSD and would now prefer to try again in 2023 (and has not taken delivery of the van)?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
But that is one less van that Ford would be selling at the inflation adjusted pricing. Or more accurately, they’re compelled to sell one additional van at the prior year pricing, when they were probably already taking it in the shorts in 2022.
If this weren't almost three years into things like shortages and distribution problems I guess I would feel more sorry for them. Say if it were 2020 which caught everyone by surprise.

To turn it around, what if the prices of some parts went down between when a person ordered a van and picked it up -- do they then say "hey, we'd like to sell you this van for less money." Not that I have ever heard.

I think the Private Offer as it stands is going to be the vast majority of the money/vans. Let's say that's 50,000 vans (just making that up). How many more vans would they be adding if they extended the offer to only the people who removed the PSD under pressure from Ford and don't want to take delivery of the 2022 without the PSD. I can't imagine it would be a very large additional percentage.

Anyway, good for you that you are going to get a 2023 with the Special Offer. Having a van in the driveway probably allowed you to more easily resist the pressure from Ford, and that's going to work out well for you.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Where does it say that customers who removed PSD are not eligible?
It's not so much that customers who removed the PSD are not eligible. They are as long as the van was "balanced out."

The people I'm talking about removed the PSD under pressure from Ford (and knowing MY 2023 would be significantly more expensive) and the vans ARE going to be built...... but not the way the customer ordered them of course.

I'm just saying that for those people --- if they have not taken delivery of the van, and if they even want to --- the Private Offer should be extended. I mean look at it this way: What if Ford had said "if you don't remove the PSD your 2022 may not be built, but you will be able to order a 2023 with the PSD at an equivalent price due to our Private Offer." THEN I think many people would not have removed the PSD.

Of course Ford didn't know they were going to do a Private Offer. But now they do know. So why not extend it to those people were were pushed to remove the PSD and "knew" the 2023 would cost a lot more if they kept the PSD and their van was not built -- and made the decision based on that info (or in some cases I believe the dealer just removed the PSD "for" them).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Where does it say that customers who removed PSD are not eligible?
He is saying if the choice was remove the PSD or order a 2023 with a $6,000 rebate, more would have ordered the 2023, but since they thought they would be paying $6-7k more for the 2023, they took the PSD off because they didn't want to pay the increased price. So now they are receiving their van without the PSD right as they find out there is a $6k rebate.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You obviously came out smelling like a rose and that's great; but it still seems a bit unfair to me not to include the "forced PSD removal" people in the offer if they want to participate.
I don’t think I’m coming out smelling like a rose.

I did willfully remove the PSD order because I felt I could get the factory system retrofitted for under $2K. And I was compelled to do it because each week I waited, my existing van’s value is potentially decreasing which ultimately means that new van will cost more.

So here I sit with a PO but I’m not one inch closer to having a PSD van than I was on October 1, 2021, when I signed the Preview Order.

And despite the PO, I’ll be paying at least $1K more than planned in October 2021. A Private Offer I had back then for being a “loyal” Ford owner has expired, and depending on how the P is reported on the Bill of Sale I may be on the hook for $500 more in sales tax and a yearly registration fee that will be be based on that same reported price (and I’m already paying $800+/year for a van that sold for $10k less).

Back to the rose, I think the situation is no longer smelling like a rotting durian.

[edit: fixed the acronym]

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Okay, fair enough. So your van was balanced out, and you are getting the Private Offer. That's apparently as much as Ford is able to do (and good on them).

But that doesn't stop Ford from offering the PO to other people who also removed the PSD (with the knowledge that a 2023 would cost a lot more). Because that has changed and now a 2023 "could" cost around the same as a 2022 for those people if Ford extended the PO to them. The whole thing is a goodwill offer, so why not extend it to those people who Ford leaned on to remove the PSD if they have not taken delivery of a van yet?

Yes it will cost Ford some money. But if "not costing Ford money" is the goal then the whole Private Offer should be rescinded for best savings to them.

And too, it's not like those few 2022's we are talking about are going to be crushed; they will be sold to new happy buyers (easily) at the significantly higher MSRP that Ford is charging now vs. when they were ordered (that extra money going to Ford), so even Ford will make more money on them (and the dealer will probably do even better with a markup). I guess it seems like a win/win/win/win to me to extend the goodwill offer to those people as well.

·
Registered
2023 W2X T350 HR Cargo AWD ECO3.5, Ingot Silver ReOrdered from 22MY 8/18/22
11 Posts
FWIW I just got off the phone with Ford Marketing and the nice woman told me I had a private offer for $6000. She even gave me my certificate number. I did retain the same order/sales code from the 22/23 but did change from 2WD to AWD and added some options. Funny part is she said it expires January 2023.
Do you have a VIN for 22MY or 23MY? I talked to Customer Relations today. Gentleman there confirmed that I have a Private offer (linked to address, zip code, etc) but could not see a certificate number. Then I talked to my dealer (they had resubmitted my 22MY as 23MY on July 13th, which has been confirmed by Ford email and by Customer Relations that it is in COVP and currently shows Unscheduled Clean). Dealer told me that he can't see a Certificate in the system until Ford schedules the van for production and issues a VIN (SmartVINCENT is based on VIN ??). Both dealer and Customer Relations say that the Private Offer is good until January 2023. According the the details in the announcement: Eligible customers must place a new 23MY retail order and take delivery of their ordered vehicle to be eligible for model year transition private offer. Seems to mean that the Private Offer goes bye-bye if Ford doesn't get the van built and delivered by January. Sure hope the parts delays improve before then.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
getting a PSD in 2023 is far from a guarantee. At least people who chose to remove it will get a van relatively soon.I'd rather have a van now than $6k and wait another 8 months.
And I'm absolutely not saying that shouldn't be a choice. IOW, if someone removed the PSD from their 2022 order, and the van is going to be built, and they want to take delivery of it -- great! They should totally (and do) have the option to take delivery of it.

I just think they should also get the option of the PO and be able to try again in 2023 if they choose to Given how the "Remove the PSD or else" went down. Not saying that was Ford's fault as they were trying to make the best of the given situation. Just like they are now trying to make the best of the situation for the people to whom they are extending the PO. I'm simply saying they should let the customers who removed the PSD under duress (and who want to) try again with the PO extended to them as well.

Ford will do okay as the "rejected" 2022's will be sold at the current MSRP (that extra money goes to Ford and is likely something like $4000+). The dealer will do great as they will no doubt add a markup. The (new) buyer will be happy as they will get a van now (and they obviously didn't originally order a van with PSD). And the original orderer will be happy that they were also able to take an option to make the best of things and try again in 2023.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
According the the details in the announcement: Eligible customers must place a new 23MY retail order and take delivery of their ordered vehicle to be eligible for model year transition private offer. Seems to mean that the Private Offer goes bye-bye if Ford doesn't get the van built and delivered by January. Sure hope the parts delays improve before then.
Where does it say that? The most official post I’ve seen is what is over on BO, snippet:

Eligible customers must place a new 23MY retail order and take delivery of their ordered vehicle to be eligible for model year transition private offer. Vehicle sale end user name must match the customer name on the retail order or will be subject to chargeback.

Private Offers I’ve received in the past have said you needed to either order or take delivery from dealer stock before a deadline, rather than order and take delivery by that deadline.

I’m skeptical that Ford would dig that hole for themselves when the ordering deadline isn’t until November.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where does it say that? The most official post I’ve seen is what is over on BO, snippet:

Eligible customers must place a new 23MY retail order and take delivery of their ordered vehicle to be eligible for model year transition private offer. Vehicle sale end user name must match the customer name on the retail order or will be subject to chargeback.

Private Offers I’ve received in the past have said you needed to either order or take delivery from dealer stock before a deadline, rather than order and take delivery by that deadline.

I’m skeptical that Ford would dig that hole for themselves when the ordering deadline isn’t until November.

My interpretation of this is wording is just that if the customer does not take delivery of their order and the dealer has to sell it on their lot, the vehicle is no longer eligible for a 6k rebate. It does not seem to say that you need to take delivery by a specific date.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Talking about it here on the forum is not doing any good about making things happen from Ford. NOW would be the time to RESUME CALLS to Ford if you want to make changes to the Private Offer. You have until November 2nd to get things done before Ford pulls the plug on the Private Offer.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·

The only deadline is having your 2023 Transit order in the Ford system by November 2nd to get the Private Offer.

·
Registered
2021 Power Sliding Door that also has a van attached to it
563 Posts
Sigh as someone who was also forced to remove their PSD, and now has a van that has probably been built without the PSD and is on its way to the dealership, I'm a right bit cross.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Sigh as someone who was also forced to remove their PSD, and now has a van that has probably been built without the PSD and is on its way to the dealership, I'm a right bit cross.
Everyone in this situation needs to start calling Ford about it. I have made my contact and waiting for a answer. More input to Ford directly may make the decision turn out the way you wish.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts