Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, been lurking and have learned much from these forums! New Transit owner. Planning minimal camper upgrades to this work van. We haul motorcycles o various events. Will be cutting the first hole for Fan-Tastic fan vent soon, yikes! :)

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Budsky,

Not sure if I can claim full "guru" status but we are working to build the new Cogent get-around vehicle. Sold our 22 year old F-350 powerstroke dually and 7.5 X 14 trailer to save a little on fuel, maintenance and stress by driving the transit. So far, I am loving it!

I am hoping to trade a couple track weekends for some other rally's and dual sport events. Right now we are so swamped at the shop that there is little time to escape to the fun of riding or even working on this thing.:)

Thank you for the welcome!

· Registered
2,286 Posts
I've been meaning to do something with my DR650 suspension, especially the rear losing traction on washboard uphills.
I do 99% of my riding up in the NC mountains. Love finding dirt/gravel roads up there, connected by twisty pavement.

I have an almost 21 year old F350 7.3PS- I keep it almost solely now to pull a 14,000 lb dump trailer when I need more driveway gravel on my land in Polk County.
Don't live there, more of a camp to base from. Live down near Columbia.

I'm retired so I ride all I want- was up there north of Morganton last week exploring. Maple Sally etc.. Haul the bike up in the T350 HR and also plan to camp in it, slowly converting it. Big project now is putting a roof A/C on and a Fantastic fan. Still pondering exactly how I am going to get a 100lb+ A/C up there since the sheet metal is very thin- can't walk or even lean on it. Secondary issue is mounting the A/C inner part since the darn roof isn't flat making it had to get a flat ceiling. I also fear I may have to reinforce the roof to handle the weight.

Good to see you on here!

Reactions: suitcase

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Awesome! I hope to meet you in person. Maple Sally and that whole Mortemer area is very beautiful imo.

I am expecting our fantastic fan tomorrow. I purchased Hein's kit to allow for a flat interface. I had AC on our trailer but don't want to do the roof ac unit on the van for a few reasons. On the mr 147" van, the two rear most frame hoops are about 13.9 inches apart and would be my choice for an a/c location. The ford up-fitter info suggests reinforcing structure if you get far from those structural elements.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
I also bought two of Hein's adapters....I plan to put my fan in the back spot with the AC located near middle.
I really did not want to go roof A/C but could not come up with an affordable alternative- one of the reasons for the A/C is we usually travel with two dogs and to leave them in the van for an hour or so in the summer demands A/C. I will have a swing out mount I will make to hold my Yamaha EF2400ISHC generator on the receiver hitch.

Mine is the extended van so my internal rib spacing may be different than yours- there is one other close to ideal rib spacing closer to the front but they put a darn crosswise seam in that area making Hein's adapter not fit well there.
The rear most near 14" area you mentioned is too close to the rear for a Dometic A/C- it would stick out past the doors- they have the 14" part at the front of the unit. Not sure about Coleman- I specifically wanted Dometic and bought the identical unit to the one on our small travel trailer we also tow with the Transit.

Reactions: suitcase

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The roof looks stronger just behind the cab portion on mine. I can't see an easy way to add sufficient structure in the wide spans. I thought that 1" square 4130 tubes spanning longitudinally with welded flanges to screw to the existing ribs would potentially work. I did a similar thing to our trailer with two cross width elements welded to the longitudinal spans, defining the 14x14 opening. In the trailer, the ribs were higher profile and closer so I went with 1018 square tubing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.