Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newby here. Winter in MN and work summer seasonal in MT. Will be creating a conversion next year for traveling and serving as spare bedroom while in MT. At early stage of comparing vans. Bouf

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Looking forward to that conversion. How much do you think the whole conversion will cost you?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
A good number to use for a conversion is $20,000 not counting the labor. I kept a record of my costs for my 08 Sprinter conversion.

Sprinter conversion items:

1. Magnum MSS1012 1000 watt pure sine inverter/charger/transfer switch with shunt & remote.
2. 205 watt solar panel with Morningstar MPPT controller.
3. 600 watt Xantrax pure sine inverter powered by Sprinter.
4. 255 amp-hr. Lifeline AGM 8D battery.
5. All wiring done with "SO" rubber cords.
6. 1 1/2" thick composite floor for insulation and utility runs.
7. Shower pan with 5 gallon beer keg water heater.
8. Fully insulated walls and ceiling.
9. 80 liter 12V/120V refrigerator.
10. 600 watt microwave.
11. Sink with 12V pump.
12. Fabricated stainless fresh water and gray water tanks.
13. Maxxair fan.
14. LED lights.

Oh, I forgot it took two years to do the work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
$20,000?! That is quite a bit of dough. Overall i'm guessing that it still saves you money over buying a camper or RV though.

It will be really cool if you can keep us updated with the conversion process. I'm sure some people would be excited to make some mods if they had some instruction and saw what was possible.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
A Roadtek or similar purchased conversion is around $110,000. Sportsmobile is less. The advantage to doing it yourself besides saving money is you can configure it to suit your needs. Can be a lot simpler for less money or more complicated for more money. I included the list to relate what $20,000 buys. Assuming I buy a Transit, I will document the build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ted- I can only guess on the conversion cost. I plan to start very simply and as inexpensively as I can while I am still working and slowly add more as I start working less. Of course that means having the complete plan somewhat in mind (for wiring plumbing..etc) before you start and that is where this forum will be so helpful.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I went rather minimalist with our Sprinter but still am pi$$ed that all of my work was trashed without any compensation by one idiot of a driver.
This time around I'm going to go even more minimalist.
I loved the project, but realize now more than ever that your "baby" can be totaled in just a few seconds if you are in the wrong place at precisely the wrong time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A Roadtek or similar purchased conversion is around $110,000. Sportsmobile is less. The advantage to doing it yourself besides saving money is you can configure it to suit your needs. Can be a lot simpler for less money or more complicated for more money. I included the list to relate what $20,000 buys. Assuming I buy a Transit, I will document the build.
geez.. 110k....

·
Registered
539 Posts
A good number to use for a conversion is $20,000 not counting the labor. I kept a record of my costs for my 08 Sprinter conversion.

Sprinter conversion items:

1. Magnum MSS1012 1000 watt pure sine inverter/charger/transfer switch with shunt & remote.
2. 205 watt solar panel with Morningstar MPPT controller.
3. 600 watt Xantrax pure sine inverter powered by Sprinter.
4. 255 amp-hr. Lifeline AGM 8D battery.
5. All wiring done with "SO" rubber cords.
6. 1 1/2" thick composite floor for insulation and utility runs.
7. Shower pan with 5 gallon beer keg water heater.
8. Fully insulated walls and ceiling.
9. 80 liter 12V/120V refrigerator.
10. 600 watt microwave.
11. Sink with 12V pump.
12. Fabricated stainless fresh water and gray water tanks.
13. Maxxair fan.
14. LED lights.

Oh, I forgot it took two years to do the work.
$20,000 is a lot but when you factor in everything you mentioned, labor and everything involved to make it all work, it sounds just about right

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yeah and in my case not only was my labor not counted but neither was anything else that went into it after it left the dealership.
I knew that though, just took the chance and lost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts