Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and owner of many Fords over the decades from 1966 Falcons to F150 trucks. In our retirement we want to do some travel and don't want to camp in tents anymore. We decided a camper van type B RV is for us. The problem is the prices of these units scared us away. Anything reliable without 200,000 miles on it can push $100,000!
One solution is to buy a van and do a conversion ourselves. I think the Ford Transit with an extended roof is the way to go. We can buy it and get it insulated and put up some walls in a week or so and be able to camp by throwing in an Aero Bed-In-A-Minute, a cooler, our camp stove, food cooking supplies and personal items and be able to camp in no time at all.
Over the next several months we can build in some cabinets, install a galley, a bed platform, a few windows with screens and get it set up for electricity, water and propane. I think we can get this done for $5,000 +/- and had a reliable unit we drive across country to see our daughter on the west coast, sight seeing along the way.
I will be looking for other's experiences doing this and how it worked out for them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome. to the forum. You will find lots of inspiration here and you're limited only by your imagination with that van. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
111 Posts
PTB:
Currently in Portland working on our HR EL 2019 Transit to replace our 2006 Sprinter conversion. Let me know if you'd like to see them, answer questions or compare notes.
Dave

Reactions: Pinetreebob

·
Registered
2021 HR Extended AWD Transit T-250
268 Posts
Welcome!

Your story sounds similar to ours. We started a little over 4 years ago with a 2016 144" Sprinter, making it our upgrade from tent camping. The buildout started minimally with continuous upgrades. After 4 years, we now have a more solid view of what we really want out of the van. The new chapter has begun with a 2021 high roof, extended length, AWD, ecoboost Transit that gives us an additional 2.5 feet of length and a huge feature list that I'll be building into it over the next several months. If you are interested in our first build, check out the link in my signature below.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome!

Your story sounds similar to ours. We started a little over 4 years ago with a 2016 144" Sprinter, making it our upgrade from tent camping. The buildout started minimally with continuous upgrades. After 4 years, we now have a more solid view of what we really want out of the van. The new chapter has begun with a 2021 high roof, extended length, AWD, ecoboost Transit that gives us an additional 2.5 feet of length and a huge feature list that I'll be building into it over the next several months. If you are interested in our first build, check out the link in my signature below.
Your site has a lot of cool stuff to check out. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
2,392 Posts
Welcome!

Our first rig was a 2011 Sprinter 170 Passenger. We paid ~$20K for it and put another ~$18K into building it out with bed, galley, electrical, etc. We bought the 2020 Transit HR-Ext with all the goodies - close to $60K or something like that. It'll come close to that $100K you mention by the time we're done. It adds up fast... :oops:

·
Registered
Build date 5/10/2021: 148", medium roof, Adventure Prep, Avalanche Grey..
162 Posts
I am new to this forum and owner of many Fords over the decades from 1966 Falcons to F150 trucks. In our retirement we want to do some travel and don't want to camp in tents anymore. We decided a camper van type B RV is for us. The problem is the prices of these units scared us away. Anything reliable without 200,000 miles on it can push $100,000!
One solution is to buy a van and do a conversion ourselves. I think the Ford Transit with an extended roof is the way to go. We can buy it and get it insulated and put up some walls in a week or so and be able to camp by throwing in an Aero Bed-In-A-Minute, a cooler, our camp stove, food cooking supplies and personal items and be able to camp in no time at all.
Over the next several months we can build in some cabinets, install a galley, a bed platform, a few windows with screens and get it set up for electricity, water and propane. I think we can get this done for $5,000 +/- and had a reliable unit we drive across country to see our daughter on the west coast, sight seeing along the way.
I will be looking for other's experiences doing this and how it worked out for them.
Welcome! I absolutely endorse your plan to get the insulation in first, with that you can be comfortable. Do consider adding a Maxxaire fan when you do that first activity. The humidity that builds up in the back of a metal box will amaze and alarm you! Adding the fan and insulation is a huge increase in comfort. To deal with the electric just install a longer wire with a plug on the end, and use a small portable power station (like a Jackery of Goal Zero). That's my non-pro tip. And again welcome, you're in a great community here!

Reactions: Pinetreebob
1 - 8 of 8 Posts