Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Heavy haulers!!!!!!!

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  bmet 
#1 ·
This should be fun:), Whats the heaviest load you ever put in the back, list the size 150,250 350

I'll start I have a 250, but I installed a 200# diamond plate floor. Anyway about 5 months ago I once picked up 5 1/2 skids, weighting a total of 4,900 Lbs:eek:. The suspension squatted evenly down, about 3". I only drove it for about 10 Miles. I can definetly feel it in the brakes. I realize I was way over my 3,800 Lbs weight limited . I would not hesitate to take 4,000 Lbs cross country

Lat week I had a Timbren Kit Installed, it replaces the origina rearl rubber strut that cushins the ride . The new one are about 3" longer and way more thicker. Wow what a difference:), picked up a single skid Friday weighing 1,800 Lbs. I would normally push it over the rear axle, but I left it on the back. The van only dropped about 2" and ride the ride was far more stable doing 65 MPH. This is a must for heavy haulers and guys who are pulling heavy trailers

#2 ·
I have a 250 MR 148 with 3.7L and 3.73LS rear. Drove from DC to Texas and back about 600 lbs overgross (scale weight was 9600 lb.) Like you said, you definitely notice it in the braking, but the van was up to the task. It didn't squat at all but the ride height did drop about 4 inches. Empty weight is about 5400 lbs so I carried about 4200 lbs. Although the 3.7L has the least torque of the three powerplants, keep the revs up and you'll keep up with traffic.

#3 ·
I'm anxiously awaiting either Ride-Rites or Airlifts to come out for the 350 HD. Don't need extra capacity but I do like to level out the vehicle when loaded.
I've got my tow setup just right for my travel trailer with a 350 lb bike in the back- If I also decide to haul my 550 lb bike at the same time then I might need to level things up a bit.
The hitch height on the travel trailer as I sit right now just lets the back doors open with less than an inch to spare- if I went to a taller draw bar to keep the trailer level then I couldn't open the back doors.

#4 ·
I haven't really hauled anything to heavy yet but by the time I'm fully loaded I might be right at GVW. Thanks for the info on the Timbren, sounds like something I could use. Do you have a part number and where did you order it? I did a quick search and only came up with Transit Connect stuff. Thanks!

#7 ·
My tractor is about 5100 plus trailer. I'm still trying to find the best weight balance to load it. Tail heavy causes sway and front heavy causes trailer jerking. I think just in the middle would be perfect.

Van handles it easily though. I'm thinking electric brakes would make it perfect.

350 with ecoboost med roof LWB

#9 ·
I had mine custom cut from a 5'-10' 1/8th " thick piece. I put it over the OEM floor thus preventing any vibration. I used 1" self tapping Philips head screws. I put in about 15 Screwa about 2"'s from the edge thus not accidiently hitting any thing underneath. After Instalation I put couple coats of paint on it. Should last about 50 years;)

#13 · (Edited)
Am I glad I finally discovered this thread. It makes me more confident of my plans to drive my Yanmar mini excavator up into the cargo bay. I have been pulling that thing around in a 1700# rated Wells Cargo 6 x 12 and it doesn't feel or look quite right. I am thinking the 1 1/2 ton 9' Big Boy II ramp from discount ramps.com will suffice, and with an extra 10' X 4' roll of Rubbercal diamond plate laid down first as extra protection for the floor. It has a wet weight of 2350lb. and rubber tracked. If I keep the boom nice and low during the load/unload process should not be a problem keeping traction and balance. BTW the ROPS un-pin and fold back and down.

Attachments

#14 ·
Sweet. I added one to my Christmas list, and post pics when you get it loaded - that will be nicer than trailering it.

#16 ·
ikea flat pack

I get a couple of kitchens from Ikea each year and haul them from Atlanta to Nashville. The last one weighed in around 3000 lbs. This time I had the first row (3 seats) and second row (2 seats) installed and had all four kids and the wife along. Traveled nicely.

The previous trip I had around 4500 lbs. (package weights are listed on each). That trip had the family as well, only just the first row (3 seats) and the single second row seat by the door. I made a bulkhead with taller boxes against the back of the seats and packed that thing right up to the ceiling. I stuffed small boxes in the voids by the windows and every conceivable cranny.

Lets just say that cornering was a little sketchy. The engine didn't seem to mind much, but I could definitely feel it and was glad to safely arrive home. If I can find the picture on my broken phone Ill add it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.