Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a picture showing how my heater cores are plumbed , my van came with the auxilary heater prep package pipes that just mean that Ford run 2 pipes from the engine compartment to the rear of the van to make it easier for me to install a auxilary heater core ,,

turns out that with it plumbed this way the front
heater core gets way hotter then the rear heater core , I suspect that since the
front heater cores return line is big 3/4 inch and the return line from my auxilary heater core is only 5/8 inch , i think the hot coolant is taking the path of least resistance and not completely but partially bypassing my rear heater core.

Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
like everything else, it is all about good insulation, both for the van itself and the heater hoses.

make sure the hoses are well insulated from the engine block to the heater.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
have a neighbor who works for Sports Mobile -
stoped by his house on day and he was installing a
12V inline water pump on a sprinter -

he said without pump rear heater did not work well-

so my guess is to install a inline water pump

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have a neighbor who works for Sports Mobile -
stoped by his house on day and he was installing a
12V inline water pump on a sprinter -

he said without pump rear heater did not work well-

so my guess is to install a inline water pump
Awesome , I'll try a pump

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don't have the heater prep package

I don't have the heater prep package and I installed the heat exchanger linlet and outlet of my hot 3.5 gallon water heater in series with the outlet of the van heater, but upstream from the Degas bottle as shown on the diagram. It's all 5/8" ID heater hose, and it works awesome. I drove it for about 15 minutes and the water came out piping hot. Stock heater still warms up nicely. No water pump needed. I did have to add some coolant though.

Not sure what happens if you connect to the heater prep package. Before I would install a pump, I would consider swapping the input and output of the heater lines into your auxiliary device.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I posted a picture showing how my heater cores are plumbed , my van came with the auxilary heater prep package pipes that just mean that Ford run 2 pipes from the engine compartment to the rear of the van to make it easier for me to install a auxilary heater core ,,

turns out that with it plumbed this way the front
heater core gets way hotter then the rear heater core , I suspect that since the
front heater cores return line is big 3/4 inch and the return line from my auxilary heater core is only 5/8 inch , i think the hot coolant is taking the path of least resistance and not completely but partially bypassing my rear heater core.

Any thoughts on this?
Btw, I don't think your diagram accurately reflects the plumbing of the heater prep package. What I see on the factory diagrams are pipes installed in parallel (?), downstream of the van heater, not one upstream and another downstream. I'm assuming you simply connected to the heater prep package outlets, so you should be good. It should all be 5/8" ID, not one 3/4" and another 5/8".

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swellguy , Did you use one of these 4 way connectors that come with the van?
( I posted picture of the 4 way I'm talking about)
Or did you use t connectors? Or y connectors?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
2017 FSM shows the OEM heaters being in series

Hot water first goes to the front heater, then to the rear heater.

Diagram from the 3.5eb shown.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks Tom ,, this auxilary heater core is the last thing I need to get hooked up and working , all my other systems are up and working perfectly and so
this is going to be really good to get done.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Swellguy , Did you use one of these 4 way connectors that come with the van?
( I posted picture of the 4 way I'm talking about)
Or did you use t connectors? Or y connectors?
Thanks
No, I didn't. I plumbed the hot water heater in series with the stock heater. I coulda used straight unions, but I used 90's because the water heater is toward the back of the van and it made the hose routing easier without pinching. I'll post photos in another thread when I get a chance.

No problem with the stock heater, and the hot water heater generates piping hot water in a few minutes. Also, appear to be no adverse effects of the motor temperature.

While it appears Ford uses some sort of junction like you picture (I dunno because I didn't get the auxiliary heat prep package), I'm wondering if a back flow preventer is in there somewhere? Otherwise, you'd have equal pressure between the supply and return and I'm not clear how the coolant could circulate. I'd like to do mine more like stock, so if you get further information on it, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
429 Posts

Yes, but it appears to have some sort of 4 way connector that MobileEmpire shows in his post. I wonder if there's a back flow preventer in there somewhere to guarantee circulation in one direction? I can't check it because I didn't get the heater prep package. I simply plumbed my device in/out of the return on the stock heater, so mine is for sure in series and is working well, but I don't think it's equivalent to stock.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Here's how Ford has it setup, it's in series , cab heater core first
Very interesting! Thanks for posting this. This confirms that we are both right and I plumbed mine correctly even without the prep kit!

Weird that they would make 1 part that combines two functions like that rather than just stock ones with a clip.

If you doing so manually as I did, I think the only thing you have to worry about is the device being upstream of the Degas bottle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts