Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,

Need some help with something weird. I have a 2020 Transit Van ( with a camper modification, but I don't think that's causing this problem )

And I live in Austin, Texas...which has been dropping to single digits over the past couple of days.

Something weird has happened a handful of times.

• The headlight switch is turned to off, the van is off
  • The headlights will turn themselves on with no interaction from me, or with the key remote.
  • Pushing the lock on the key will turn them off again.

For example: Last night, I checked before bed ( midnight ) , and they were off. Woke up at 2am, and had I feeling that I should check, and they were on. Turned them off by locking.

Woke up at 9:30am, and the fordpass app told me that at 6am the van was going into deep sleep, and the battery was entirely dead.

When the snow melts, I will be making a service appointment at a dealer, but I really really want the van battery to be able to start the van over the next few days.

I looked online and there are old posts about old cars with a broken headlight relay. Couldn't find mention of a headlight relay in the manual. ( maybe missed it. )
I tried pulling some fuses that seemed relevant. ( Figuring I could put them back in when I wanted to drive. )
Last night before the headlamps came on, I pulled fuse 17 and 26 under the hood which say they are "Left-Hand ( and right-hand ) high intensity discharge headlamps". Headlights still came on.

Today I tried to pull the fuse for the light switch on the inside panel. (Fun fact...default for no fuse for the light switch is "on", which makes sense, but is annoying ) I also pulled the fuse for the adaptive light system.

So, if anyone can help, looking for:
1. What is the best way, in the short term, to make sure that my battery is able to start the van? Should I disconnect the actual battery under the driver's seat? I see there is a fuse for "Battery" will that disconnect everything? Is there another fuse that I can pull to kill the headlights while the van is off?

2. Has anyone seen this before? or have any ideas of full fixes?

Thanks in advance,
Casey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Square1! That is exactly the same description. I will share on that one.

One interesting update from my issue, after pulling the Adaptive light system fuse before last night, the lights have stayed off all night. ( I also took the van on a short drive, so I don't know if that fuse did the trick or not, but the weather was still hella cold last night too. )

·
Registered
63 Posts
Was this fuse 63 at the AJB? I only ask because it should only be hot in start and run. I certainly am willing to pull some fuses to stay in sync with your observations, As I have seen this also.

-greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All fuses that I pulled:
Engine Component Fuse Box 17, and 26 ( Didn't seem to change behavior )

Driver Compartment fuse box 73 ( Listed as Adaptive front lighting module, and headlamp levelling)
I didn't pull it because I had any reason to believe it would fix things, just panic'ed guessing.

It hasn't gotten any warmer here, but the lights stayed off last night after three nights of lights on.
Will keep monitoring it and report back if it changes

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks I got it now, it appears the 2020 Transit Wiring Diagram and the 2020 Transit Owners Manual are not in sync, not only do they call them different names but the numbered locations are different. Anyhow it appears we are talking about the same fuse. Which now has me interested in the Run/Start Relay. It is controlled by the BCM, could it be cycling on causing strange things. I will pull the fuse and investigate further. What temp are you at?.

-greg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the update. generally I have found my headlight issue to be in a narrow band of temperature, the colder it get's that symptom doesn't show up, but I then get the continuous high current draw. I am warming up a bit so maybe I can get back in that range. removing that fuse would remove power that comes from one of the Run/Start power relays. This is controlled by the BCM. I also am scheduling another appointment with the dealer next week. This time I am armed with some data that I have collected, the stuff I posted on the other thread. Luckily the ground cable for the battery is relatively accessible once removing a few things. You can see the current draw with a clamp on meter, if it is in that mode. Good luck at the dealer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ford dealer is claiming that it is a feature of the van, and that the lights turning on mean that the battery is almost dead.

Not buying it. But their first step is to replace the battery. And given that I probably won't see those temperatures until next winter...I will just have to remain vigilant.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, that is one **** of a feature, your battery is low, so we will turn on the lights and drain it completely. Did they keep a straight face when they told you that. Did they update your BCM? FSA 20B31 is supposed to fix a premature timeout of the SBG for the CCP2 connection. No saying it might fix issue, but that is not the problem you were seeing.

Thanks for updating,
-greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They did update the BCM. Is there a way that I should check myself?
Yeah, **** of a feature. :) I figured at that point I wasn't going to get a reasonable answer from them at all unless it happened again, and after that week, Austin hasn't been that cold again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone figure thos out yet?? Because this happened to me about 3 months ago. Theres a recall on the BCM thats needs to be updated. Ive done that amd now the same issues. Is happening again and of course it sunday. I pulled all the fuses you guys was saying. Nothing happens.
They did update the BCM. Is there a way that I should check myself?
Yeah, **** of a feature. :) I figured at that point I wasn't going to get a reasonable answer from them at all unless it happened again, and after that week, Austin hasn't been that cold again.
Anyone figure thos out yet?? Because this happened to me about 3 months ago. Theres a recall on the BCM thats needs to be updated. Ive done that amd now the same issues. Is happening again and of course it sunday. I pulled all the fuses you guys was saying. Nothing happens.
Wow, that is one **** of a feature, your battery is low, so we will turn on the lights and drain it completely. Did they keep a straight face when they told you that. Did they update your BCM? FSA 20B31 is supposed to fix a premature timeout of the SBG for the CCP2 connection. No saying it might fix issue, but that is not the problem you were seeing.

Thanks for updating,
-greg

·
Registered
63 Posts
I came to a resolution about this and updated this post. In a nutshell the problem appears to have been the BCM. The recall of update did not fix the issue. It appeared to be worse for me this year and luckily the tech actually saw the lights come on while working on it. Anyway the details are in the other post. The other odd thing I was looking at was a improper termination level for the HS1-CAN Buse.

hope this helps anyone having this problem.

-greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.